Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top Team 2GNT Community 2GNT Site/Forum Questions topic #358
View in linear mode

Subject: "funny idea?" Previous topic | Next topic
TeamDR1665Jun-18-05 12:04 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#358, "funny idea?"

I think it would be fun to have something like a sub-title under your screen name that reflcted the status of your car at the moment. I'm sure it would be more work than reward, but imagine if you could go into your profile and select one of the following to be displayed under your name (but above member since/donating member):

Current status: (pick one)
*optimal
*being tuned
*needing tuned
*technical difficulties
*terminally ill
*dead
*got rid of it

It could show up like this (only not such an obviously hacked photoshop)

I'm sure this would require a shitload of work, so I'm only mentioning it for some night when someone is suffering from one too many Jager-Redbulls and can't sleep.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: funny idea?, HipHop615, Jun-19-05 08:27 AM, #1
RE: funny idea?, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Jun-20-05 05:41 AM, #2
      RE: funny idea?, BumpinTalon, Jun-20-05 05:55 AM, #3
      RE: funny idea?, TeamDR1665, Jun-20-05 11:57 AM, #4
      RE: funny idea?, 420a-Tnthewerks, Jun-20-05 01:00 PM, #5
      RE: funny idea?, ModeratoreclipzGST, Jul-05-05 08:00 PM, #6
           RE: funny idea?, WIDECLIPSE, Jul-06-05 08:56 AM, #7
                RE: funny idea?, .bs0d, Jul-06-05 10:52 AM, #8
                     RE: funny idea?, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Jul-06-05 11:11 AM, #9
                          RE: funny idea?, TeamDR1665, Jul-06-05 01:15 PM, #10
                               RE: funny idea?, .bs0d, Jul-06-05 01:53 PM, #11
                                    RE: funny idea?, Diceman19, Jul-06-05 03:55 PM, #12
                                         RE: funny idea?, .bs0d, Jul-06-05 04:49 PM, #13
                                              RE: funny idea?, Diceman19, Jul-07-05 01:29 AM, #14
                                                   RE: funny idea?, .bs0d, Jul-07-05 02:51 AM, #15
                                                        RE: funny idea?, Diceman19, Jul-07-05 05:22 PM, #16
                                                             RE: funny idea?, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Jul-08-05 07:07 AM, #17
                                                                  RE: funny idea?, Diceman19, Jul-08-05 07:29 AM, #18
                                                                  RE: funny idea?, totaleklipse97, Jul-09-05 08:12 PM, #19
                                                                  RE: funny idea?, L2RTSiAWD, Jul-11-05 07:01 AM, #20
                                                                  RE: funny idea?, L2RTSiAWD, Jul-11-05 07:02 AM, #21

HipHop615Jun-19-05 08:27 AM
Member since Sep 14th 2003
2333 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#359, "RE: funny idea?"
In response to Reply # 0

That sounds kinda cool imo, yours shouldnt be "needing tuning" though it should say "Current Status: Resurrected", Now that fits most of our cars pretty well. =)

Turbo8u - "I've never heard so many BOV's in my life at once..." (At So. Cali Meet-Up Sep. 25th)

Me - "I don't think I lost the love for my car, I think the cops took it..."

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneJun-20-05 05:41 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14937 posts,
#363, "RE: funny idea?"
In response to Reply # 1

I know: i can add some static text that says "Current status: about to break" and no one will ever have to change it.

Not a bad idea. I might look into it, but it'd be a good bit of work.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

BumpinTalonJun-20-05 05:55 AM
Member since Mar 23rd 2004
2381 posts,
#365, "RE: funny idea?"
In response to Reply # 2

Originally posted by DarkOne
I know: i can add some static text that says "Current status: about to break" and no one will ever have to change it. Not a bad idea. I might look into it, but it'd be a good bit of work.

I third this motion. it'd be funny but good point on "about to break"

1995 Eagle Talon ESi

TeamDR1665Jun-20-05 11:57 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#366, "RE: funny idea?"
In response to Reply # 2

I might look into it, but it'd be a good bit of work.

Glad to hear my idea wasn't all that bad.

I imagine it would be a lot of work. Seems to me like there would be changes to made in more than a couple places to make something like that work. I don't know which is sadder, the fact that I have been going to DeVry for computer programming for over three years now and don't know anything, or the fact that I hate computer programming?

420a-TnthewerksJun-20-05 01:00 PM
Member since Jun 11th 2004
2267 posts,
#367, "RE: funny idea?"
In response to Reply # 4

Just have it so we put our own two or three worded desciption in there.

ModeratoreclipzGSTJul-05-05 08:00 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#380, "RE: funny idea?"
In response to Reply # 2

I know: i can add some static text that says "Current status: about to break" and no one will ever have to change it.

BASTARD! You'll jinx us all!!!!!

Originally posted by Avenger
When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

"Never whistle while your pissing." ~The illuminatus Trilogy

WIDECLIPSEJul-06-05 08:56 AM
Member since Apr 14th 2004
1528 posts,
#381, "RE: funny idea?"
In response to Reply # 6

Originally posted by eclipzGST
Originally posted by DarkOne I know: i can add some static text that says "Current status: about to break" and no one will ever have to change it.
BASTARD! You'll jinx us all!!!!!

I think we were jinxed when we bought our cars.

-Roman

.bs0dJul-06-05 10:52 AM
Member since Jan 14th 2004
597 posts,
#382, "RE: funny idea?"
In response to Reply # 7

shouldnt be too hard, did 2gnt founders code this forum or is DCScripts.com by someone else (like phpBB) and the forums just modified for the site layout?

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneJul-06-05 11:11 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14937 posts,
#383, "RE: funny idea?"
In response to Reply # 8

Originally posted by .bs0d
shouldnt be too hard, did 2gnt founders code this forum or is DCScripts.com by someone else (like phpBB) and the forums just modified for the site layout?

The forum is a licensed copy of DCF+ 1.25 from DCScripts.com, heavily modified by me.

'13 Evo X (mostly stock)

TeamDR1665Jul-06-05 01:15 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#384, "RE: funny idea?"
In response to Reply # 9

Originally posted by .bs0d shouldnt be too hard, did 2gnt founders code this forum or is DCScripts.com by someone else (like phpBB) and the forums just modified for the site layout?
The forum is a licensed copy of DCF+ 1.25 from DCScripts.com, heavily modified by me.

Should you have any further questions, you may forward them to Mr. Yancey. 713-816-1337.

.bs0dJul-06-05 01:53 PM
597 posts,
#385, "RE: funny idea?"
In response to Reply # 10

why we (2gnt) make our own, then you know the exact in's and out's - you're in more control. I made my own forums in php + mySQL because I was using phpBB on my site and it got hijacked twice because of existing exploits. Also, spam accounts were an issue, dunno if you have that problem here or not. anyways, good idea on topic

Diceman19Jul-06-05 03:55 PM
Donating 2GNT member
4629 posts,
#386, "RE: funny idea?"
In response to Reply # 11

why we (2gnt) make our own, then you know the exact in's and out's - you're in more control. I made my own forums in php + mySQL because I was using phpBB on my site and it got hijacked twice because of existing exploits. Also, spam accounts were an issue, dunno if you have that problem here or not. anyways, good idea on topic

you didnt have it setup correctly, nor did you keep it maintained.

i run the local dsm forum for indiana and the tri state area (http://www.indystars.org)/shameless plug

anyway, my forum has never been hijacked, i keep the code up to date, i have made the forum private and i have to approve each membership by clicking on a link that is sent to me by email. if someone pisses me off, perma ban is quickly achieved by using the admin userlist mod. i have zero spam issues, zero guests can read this forum, you have to give your real name at signup, we are a close knit community, new to the area or not.

dino, i dont know if driggs is saying make the field generic and let people type whatever but that would be the easiest, although it might turn into something that gets out of hand. if DCforums are anything like phpbb, there should only be like 5 files to modify, granted it will probly be a buttload of code. just adding three fields in the registration and profile pages on phpbb took me a couple hours, plus working out the bugs. good luck!

.bs0dJul-06-05 04:49 PM
597 posts,
#387, "RE: funny idea?"
In response to Reply # 12
Jul-06-05 04:51 PM by .bs0d

Originally posted by Diceman19
Originally posted by .bs0d why we (2gnt) make our own, then you know the exact in's and out's - you're in more control. I made my own forums in php + mySQL because I was using phpBB on my site and it got hijacked twice because of existing exploits. Also, spam accounts were an issue, dunno if you have that problem here or not. anyways, good idea on topic
you didnt have it setup correctly, nor did you keep it maintained. i run the local dsm forum for indiana and the tri state area (http://www.indystars.org)/shameless plug anyway, my forum has never been hijacked, i keep the code up to date, i have made the forum private and i have to approve each membership by clicking on a link that is sent to me by email. if someone pisses me off, perma ban is quickly achieved by using the admin userlist mod. i have zero spam issues, zero guests can read this forum, you have to give your real name at signup, we are a close knit community, new to the area or not.

You're funny, actually it was setup correctly. How could it not be, its self installing script- and it was up to date. How could you say I did not keep it maintained? That makes really no sense, expecially if you had not even seen the previous forums I ran. If you knew anything about programming and care about your website, its is clearly the best choice to code your own forums - bar none.

Face it, in well known forums, exploits exist. I implemented a security code displayed in an image that must be entered before a user can register. This makes it where spam bots cannot fill the form and register, as only a person can see the code before its entered, thus - real members.

Also, for the type of website I have, it is very much open to the public and unlike your case I cannot only permit users to signup that only I know personally. In 90% of all forums, you want to public to view the forums and become a member. If im not mistaken, that is what makes a community- like 2gnt.

Diceman19Jul-07-05 01:29 AM
Donating 2GNT member
4629 posts,
#388, "RE: funny idea?"
In response to Reply # 13
Jul-07-05 01:43 AM by Diceman19

You're funny, actually it was setup correctly. How could it not be, its self installing script- and it was up to date. How could you say I did not keep it maintained? That makes really no sense, expecially if you had not even seen the previous forums I ran. If you knew anything about programming and care about your website, its is clearly the best choice to code your own forums - bar none. Face it, in well known forums, exploits exist. I implemented a security code displayed in an image that must be entered before a user can register. This makes it where spam bots cannot fill the form and register, as only a person can see the code before its entered, thus - real members. Also, for the type of website I have, it is very much open to the public and unlike your case I cannot only permit users to signup that only I know personally. In 90% of all forums, you want to public to view the forums and become a member. If im not mistaken, that is what makes a community- like 2gnt.

the more you type, the more i think you are clueless. this shall not be a flame war though. yes, it is a self installing script, but if your version is up to date, they continue to update security vulnerabilities and such to keep your board "yours". if your board was "hacked" or taken over by some script kiddie, you didnt keep it maintained, simple as that.

screw programming an entire forum. if you just look at how many files are in phpbb and how much backend work there is, why would i want to redo what has been done. no need to recreate the wheel. plus, you are stuck will ALL security tasks, ALL update tasks, etc. since exploits exist in ALL forums, why build your own, as exploits will still be there. as a webmaster/sysadmin, you have to get over the fact that as long as there is the internet, as long as humans create the software we use, there will be vulnerabilities. simple as that. using someone elses software vs creating your own will not change that, they will just find other ways of getting past your code.

phpbb has implemented the image verification, so dont think that your l33t coding skills have bypassed open source forum software that hundreds of people have had a hand in creating. they've been doing it for a while now as a matter of fact.

as far as the public viewing the forums before registering, why? i dont want john doe public viewing the telephone number thread, i dont want john doe public looking at peoples profiles where home addresses are stored. how many cell phone numbers and home addresses are posted here on 2gnt, few and far between. the point is my forum has a lot of personal information stored on it, there is no need to let the public view it.

are you saying that NABR is not a community, you have to register to view thier forums too, even then, you cant view everything and have to prove yourself. NABR is one of the tightest knit communities around. everybody knows everybody. even now, you have to know someone on the inside to get in.

if you want to be a part of the community, join the forum. if you are a guest, you cant post, even here on 2gnt; that means you still AREN'T a part of the community. if you lurk without registering, you are stepping on the balance of "community". a community is give and recieve, if you dont post anything, you are not part of the community. if all of our members stopped posting and just read, what kind of community would we have. bottom line, a community is not formed until there are posts and communication, since you cant do that without registering, there is no community until registration occurs. what was your point again?

/class

.bs0dJul-07-05 02:51 AM
597 posts,
#389, "RE: funny idea?"
In response to Reply # 14
Jul-07-05 02:57 AM by .bs0d

im not going to continue to argue. However, everyday NEW exploits surface by some script kiddie (correct). But that does not mean the developer has been aware of the exploit. NORMALLY, its drug around the internet until they (the developer) catch wind of it - thus, sites being defaced, ect. before hand.

Developing your own forums and keeping the code secret is much more secure. Nothing more to be said about that.

"phpbb has implemented the image verification, so dont think that your l33t coding skills have bypassed open source forum software that hundreds of people have had a hand in creating. they've been doing it for a while now as a matter of fact."

^^ Thats really funny. Good for phpBB, never said I was any better than them, I've not used them for a while- and they didnt have that feature. Im saying it helps. The beauty in making your own forums is that you make it as complex or as simple as you want, you're in full control. Modifying an existing forum to the Nth degree makes no sense, you could have coded your own- if you dont like updating 10 files to add a feature, dont make it that way

I Didnt say you dont have a community, im saying IF you run a PUBLIC site (like 2gnt), allowing everyone to see posts and decide to become a member is a good thing. Which is what 2gnt does! hrm...

Yours is private because its a tight community where personal info is readily available, fine- thats probably a good idea to lock out that data to unregistered people. I never said it wasnt.

This is my last post on this wandering thread. Keep posting as you wish, but I dont feel you understand what you're trying to say or what I am saying.

Diceman19Jul-07-05 05:22 PM
Donating 2GNT member
4629 posts,
#390, "RE: funny idea?"
In response to Reply # 15

but I dont feel you understand what you're trying to say

ok chief. on with the thread. whats the word dino?

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneJul-08-05 07:07 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14937 posts,
#391, "RE: funny idea?"
In response to Reply # 16

It's be easy to do, i'm just lazy and i think you're all fucking idiots.

'13 Evo X (mostly stock)

Diceman19Jul-08-05 07:29 AM
Donating 2GNT member
4629 posts,
#392, "RE: funny idea?"
In response to Reply # 17

of course you do, you rule the internet. all this hostility makes me look forward to the shootout.

totaleklipse97Jul-09-05 08:12 PM
Member since May 14th 2003
3589 posts,
#393, "RE: funny idea?"

your the fucking man dino!! if it's not useful don't waste your time.. get big evil up first!

-----------------------------------

My DSM registry.......Powered By Exile Racing
VW= The joy of driving
DSM= The frustration of fixing

The wonders of 2gnt chat:

‹totaleklipse97› so what benefits do i get from being ur e-boyfriend
‹Jen› uh... the honor?
‹totaleklipse97› somehow i guess i got that title now
‹Jen› somehow.....

L2RTSiAWDJul-11-05 07:01 AM
Member since Sep 30th 2003
244 posts,
#394, "RE: funny idea?"

L2RTSiAWDJul-11-05 07:02 AM
Member since Sep 30th 2003
244 posts,
#395, "RE: funny idea?"
Jul-11-05 07:03 AM by L2RTSiAWD

Nice

Top Team 2GNT Community 2GNT Site/Forum Questions topic #358 Previous topic | Next topic