Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #92033
View in linear mode

Subject: "yet another weird idle problem" Previous topic | Next topic
bloodyangel1Aug-02-05 03:17 PM
Member since Aug 02nd 2005
332 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#92033, "yet another weird idle problem"

i have heard all the idle problems, and i cant really seem to find mine. it normally starts after drivin for a minute or so, but when i come to a stop, the idle will drop a little, then surge up, then drop real low, and almost stall, but it will catch itself and live, and while its doin this, the car will jerk me when im stopping, kinda like im braking, then letting off the brakes, and applying the brakes again, what could cause this? i have a 55mm tb on with new tps, and iac motor, so i doubt its either of them? i have heard that a bad torque converter could be the cause, could that be it? or could it be a vacuum leak? im not exactly sure how to do a vacuum leak tho.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: yet another weird idle problem, joeck76, Aug-02-05 04:07 PM, #1
RE: yet another weird idle problem, bloodyangel1, Aug-02-05 04:25 PM, #2
      RE: yet another weird idle problem, hs_elrod, Aug-02-05 05:58 PM, #3
           RE: yet another weird idle problem, knight ryda 99, Aug-02-05 07:55 PM, #4
                RE: yet another weird idle problem, bloodyangel1, Aug-03-05 06:26 AM, #5
                     RE: yet another weird idle problem, joeck76, Aug-03-05 12:28 PM, #6
                          RE: yet another weird idle problem, a_miller_76, Aug-03-05 12:40 PM, #7
                               RE: yet another weird idle problem, joeck76, Aug-04-05 05:14 AM, #8
RE: yet another weird idle problem, hs_elrod, Aug-04-05 08:26 AM, #9
RE: yet another weird idle problem, bloodyangel1, Aug-04-05 12:09 PM, #10
      RE: yet another weird idle problem, joeck76, Aug-04-05 02:37 PM, #11
           RE: yet another weird idle problem, bloodyangel1, Aug-04-05 02:54 PM, #12

joeck76Aug-02-05 04:07 PM
Donating 2GNT member
880 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#92034, "RE: yet another weird idle problem"
In response to Reply # 0

if your not idling steady at all than id bet its a vacume leak start with the hoses behind the intake manifold also check your gasket especially the throttlebody one you should hear air hissing if you have a leak pop your hood and stick your head in there and try to find out whats going on, i had idle issues as all of us have. my issues were related to my engine coolent temp sensor.

98 RS: Mods: Custom Stage 2 Turbo kit , 55mm throttle body, gutted cat, evo cat back exhaust, p/p intake manifold,p/p Head, af-x underdrive pulley, B&M short throw shifter,Built bottom end Je pistons eagle rods 8.8:1 compression.

Custom stage 2 hahn turbo kit
Hahn Super 16g turbo (ceramic coated)
Hahn manifold (ceramic coated)
Hahn Downpipe assembly
Hahn intercooler piping smic
Hahn oil line kit
Type s bov
2G Gsx smic
walbro 255 fuel pump
Synapse missing link
Vortech s-fmu
NGK Bkr7e11 Plugs
A-pillar w/boost, a/f, oil pressure gauges

New Addition: 2007 Eclipse GT 6 speed

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

bloodyangel1Aug-02-05 04:25 PM
332 posts,
#92036, "RE: yet another weird idle problem"
In response to Reply # 1

well as far as i know, all of my vac lines r hooked up, and i just bought a new engine coolant sensor, so we will see how that goes. i once took off my intake mani, and put it back on, and im not to sure if the gasket was fully on right, it was a pain tryin to get the gasket from the lower plenum and block to seat right, so if i have a leak, im guessin it would be from there

hs_elrodAug-02-05 05:58 PM
Member since Aug 26th 2004
159 posts,
#92038, "RE: yet another weird idle problem"
In response to Reply # 2

my car did exactly what you described. except mine didn't buck to a stop probably because i have a manual (im assuming your auto tx)but i watched my rpm gauge buck pretty bad when coming to a stop. if your not auto still read below, might still be relavent.

turned out that mine was the IAC(intake air control). what it does is control the air when the the throttle plate is closed to achieve smooth idle.

Multi meter test
test pins 1 / 4 and 2 / 3
should read 38 to 52 (Haynes manual -at your own risk)

quick test
have a friend listen for a click at the sensor when the key gets turned (dont start it) no click = your done, start trouble shooting why it doesn't engage. if it does click you still need to try the meter test.

I figure since I cant stop fixing the damn thing, I'll just create more problems to work on. The stock pile has begun. Parts PArts PARts PARTs PARTS!!!
I'm a novice listen to what I say and make your own conclusion. If I'm wrong tell me and I will learn. Thanks be to the 2gnt Gods may they grant me turbo and fruits of the Earth. Amen.

knight ryda 99Aug-02-05 07:55 PM
Member since Feb 08th 2005
331 posts,
#92042, "RE: yet another weird idle problem"
In response to Reply # 3

could be a vacuum leak, won't hurt to check. If you or someone you know smokes, lightup a cigarette and blow the smoke all over the motor, IF you have a leak the smoke will be sucked in.

bloodyangel1Aug-03-05 06:26 AM
332 posts,
#92049, "RE: yet another weird idle problem"
In response to Reply # 4
Aug-03-05 06:36 AM by bloodyangel1

well i have a 96 rs a/t, and when i put my 55mm tb on, i put a new iac motor, and a tps, so i doubt its either of them. i think i have a leak from the intake mani, a mechanic once told me that so im guess thats it, but then what would cause my car to buck like it does, and the weird thing is, if i put it in neutral when stopping instead of drive, when i almost stop, the car while thump, and u can feel it do it too, i think its from the brakes, but who knows? i also put a new engine coolant temperature sensor on, didnt really do much so...14 bucks down the drain

joeck76Aug-03-05 12:28 PM
Donating 2GNT member
880 posts,
#92051, "RE: yet another weird idle problem"
In response to Reply # 5

$14 bucks?? i believe what you put on was the temperature sending unit? the sensor which is the top one costed me around $40 bucks.

98 RS: Mods: Custom Stage 2 Turbo kit , 55mm throttle body, gutted cat, evo cat back exhaust, p/p intake manifold,p/p Head, af-x underdrive pulley, B&M short throw shifter,Built bottom end Je pistons eagle rods 8.8:1 compression.

Hahn Downpipe assembly
Hahn oil line kit
Type s bov
2G Gsx smic
walbro 255 fuel pump
Synapse missing link
Vortech s-fmu
NGK Bkr7e11 Plugs

a_miller_76Aug-03-05 12:40 PM
Donating 2GNT member
9515 posts,
#92052, "RE: yet another weird idle problem"
In response to Reply # 6

Originally posted by joeck76
$14 bucks?? i believe what you put on was the temperature sending unit? the sensor which is the top one costed me around $40 bucks.

Actually the coolant temp sensor is the one on the bottom. It's a lot more than $14 though.

joeck76Aug-04-05 05:14 AM
Donating 2GNT member
880 posts,
#92069, "RE: yet another weird idle problem"
In response to Reply # 7

dont mean to correct you but in my car the ect which is the engine coolent temp sensor is the bigger of the two is on top and yes is much more than 14 dollars, however the sending unit that operated the gauge is on the bottom and much smaller, this item is about 14 dollars. maybe its different on some cars but on mine it on the top. anyone else??

Hahn Downpipe assembly
Hahn oil line kit
Type s bov
2G Gsx smic
walbro 255 fuel pump
Synapse missing link
Vortech s-fmu
NGK Bkr7e11 Plugs

hs_elrodAug-04-05 08:26 AM
Member since Aug 26th 2004
159 posts,
#92074, "RE: yet another weird idle problem"
In response to Reply # 0

Have you tried the blow smoke at it idea^^ yet? I wouldn't go after sensors until I was sure the vacuum is ok. You got a PSI gauge? Not sure what it should read.

I figure since I cant stop fixing the damn thing, I'll just create more problems to work on. The stock pile has begun. Parts PArts PARts PARTs PARTS!!!
I'm a novice listen to what I say and make your own conclusion. If I'm wrong tell me and I will learn. Thanks be to the 2gnt Gods may they grant me turbo and fruits of the Earth. Amen.

bloodyangel1Aug-04-05 12:09 PM
332 posts,
#92080, "RE: yet another weird idle problem"
In response to Reply # 9

no i dont got a psi gauge, maybe i should buy one, they seem to come in handy, and i havent tried that whole smoke idea, it seems it would be hard to tell since all of my vacuum lines r behind the block and mani. and the sensor or w/e i put on was below the thermostat, it is just a threaded piece of metal pretty much, when i took the old one off, all my antifreeze poored out, lost a lot of it too, but the sensor was just a piece of metal that threaded into the hole, was that the wrong one?

joeck76Aug-04-05 02:37 PM
Donating 2GNT member
880 posts,
#92088, "RE: yet another weird idle problem"
In response to Reply # 10

if there was an actual plug in with 2 wires than thats the one but if it was just one wire than its your sending unit for the temp gauge

Hahn Downpipe assembly
Hahn oil line kit
Type s bov
2G Gsx smic
walbro 255 fuel pump
Synapse missing link
Vortech s-fmu
NGK Bkr7e11 Plugs

bloodyangel1Aug-04-05 02:54 PM
332 posts,
#92091, "RE: yet another weird idle problem"
In response to Reply # 11

yeah, it had a plug with 2 wires coming from it, it was 14 at autozone, but like i stated b4, it didnt help none with my idle problem, or stopping my car from jumping and bucking when i stop

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #92033 Previous topic | Next topic