Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #91492
View in linear mode

Subject: "Problem Removing Bottom Half of 420A Intake Manifold." Previous topic | Next topic
Jem09Jul-15-05 02:21 AM
Member since Jul 12th 2005
224 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#91492, "Problem Removing Bottom Half of 420A Intake Manifold."

I'm currently, as I type this, in the process of removing my OEM Intake Manifold for another OEM Manifold that has been P&P to match my 60mm MP TB. My prob. is I can't reach this last bolt....it's the first/bottom/bolt all the way to the left on the lower half of the manifold (if your facing the front of the engine). Theres crap in the way of the bolt and my socket wrench can't fit through the gap. How did you remove that bolt? It's the last one and once this shit is removed, I'll be able to install the other manifold. Thank you in advance.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Problem Removing Bottom Half of 420A Intake Manifold., eclipse982nrRST, Jul-15-05 02:45 AM, #1
RE: Problem Removing Bottom Half of 420A Intake Manifold., Jem09, Jul-15-05 02:48 AM, #2
      RE: Problem Removing Bottom Half of 420A Intake Manifold., Jem09, Jul-15-05 02:49 AM, #3
      RE: Problem Removing Bottom Half of 420A Intake Manifold., joeck76, Jul-15-05 03:19 AM, #4
           RE: Problem Removing Bottom Half of 420A Intake Manifold., Jem09, Jul-15-05 03:48 AM, #5
                RE: Problem Removing Bottom Half of 420A Intake Manifold., joeck76, Jul-15-05 05:14 AM, #6
                     RE: Problem Removing Bottom Half of 420A Intake Manifold., Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Jul-15-05 06:41 AM, #7
                          RE: Problem Removing Bottom Half of 420A Intake Manifold., Jem09, Jul-15-05 06:50 AM, #8
                               RE: Problem Removing Bottom Half of 420A Intake Manifold., joeck76, Jul-15-05 09:01 AM, #9
                                    RE: Problem Removing Bottom Half of 420A Intake Manifold., Jem09, Jul-15-05 09:55 AM, #10
                                         RE: Problem Removing Bottom Half of 420A Intake Manifold., Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Jul-15-05 09:58 AM, #11
                                         RE: Problem Removing Bottom Half of 420A Intake Manifold., Jem09, Jul-15-05 10:00 AM, #12
                                              RE: Problem Removing Bottom Half of 420A Intake Manifold., hs_elrod, Jul-15-05 10:10 AM, #13
                                              RE: Problem Removing Bottom Half of 420A Intake Manifold., joeck76, Jul-15-05 10:13 AM, #14
                                                   RE: Problem Removing Bottom Half of 420A Intake Manifold., Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Jul-15-05 07:21 PM, #18
      RE: Problem Removing Bottom Half of 420A Intake Manifold., eclipse982nrRST, Jul-15-05 02:54 PM, #15
           RE: Problem Removing Bottom Half of 420A Intake Manifold., MCubed45, Jul-15-05 05:27 PM, #16
                RE: Problem Removing Bottom Half of 420A Intake Manifold., WickedESi, Jul-15-05 05:53 PM, #17
                     RE: Problem Removing Bottom Half of 420A Intake Manifold., MCubed45, Jul-16-05 10:54 AM, #19
                          RE: Problem Removing Bottom Half of 420A Intake Manifold., Jem09, Jul-16-05 12:34 PM, #20

eclipse982nrRSTJul-15-05 02:45 AM
Member since Mar 16th 2004
6314 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#91493, "RE: Problem Removing Bottom Half of 420A Intake Manifold."
In response to Reply # 0

did you try getting underneath the car and reaching up and snaking it out?

-MIKE-

Stroked 2.2L

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Jem09Jul-15-05 02:48 AM
224 posts,
#91494, "RE: Problem Removing Bottom Half of 420A Intake Manifold."
In response to Reply # 1

No, I haven't tried that. I thought about lifting the car up so I can go underneath, but it looks like I'd be able to reach it. And what do you mean by "snaking it out"? I'm open to any and everything right now, I'm about to punch it off. .: Laughin' :.

Jem09Jul-15-05 02:49 AM
224 posts,
#91495, "RE: Problem Removing Bottom Half of 420A Intake Manifold."
In response to Reply # 2

I meant to write, "it looks like I won't be able to reach it". My fault. I'm tired and angry at this bolt right now...

joeck76Jul-15-05 03:19 AM
Donating 2GNT member
880 posts,
#91496, "RE: Problem Removing Bottom Half of 420A Intake Manifold."
In response to Reply # 3

take it easy he-man, i know what your problem is, your speaking about the only bolt thats a pia in this project its the one that the altornator is in the way of. only way your getting that bolt out is from under the car, reach up with your 10mm open end wrench and unthred it like 1/4 inch at a time, it takes a while but it will come out, dont make the mistake i made and use the closed end on the wrench, youll never get it out, use the open side of a 10mm wrench and inch it out, believe it or not it will come out, might take 15 min but it will come out. i know this because i just did it a month ago, but believe me this is your best bet, do not attempt to get it from up top, its not gonna happen

98 RS: Mods: Custom Stage 2 Turbo kit , 55mm throttle body, gutted cat, evo cat back exhaust, p/p intake manifold,p/p Head, af-x underdrive pulley, B&M short throw shifter,Built bottom end Je pistons eagle rods 8.8:1 compression.

Custom stage 2 hahn turbo kit
Hahn Super 16g turbo (ceramic coated)
Hahn manifold (ceramic coated)
Hahn Downpipe assembly
Hahn intercooler piping smic
Hahn oil line kit
Type s bov
2G Gsx smic
walbro 255 fuel pump
Synapse missing link
Vortech s-fmu
NGK Bkr7e11 Plugs
A-pillar w/boost, a/f, oil pressure gauges

New Addition: 2007 Eclipse GT 6 speed

Jem09Jul-15-05 03:48 AM
224 posts,
#91498, "RE: Problem Removing Bottom Half of 420A Intake Manifold."
In response to Reply # 4

I remember that cartoon (he-man), ya just took me back in da days... But onto what's more important.....GOOD LOOKIN' OUT for the advice... I'm going to dive under the whip right now. Serious note, I really appreciate your help... I was browsin' the forum waitin' for someones help... .: Laughin' :.

P.s. Niiiiiice interior...

---

take it easy he-man, i know what your problem is, your speaking about the only bolt thats a pia in this project its the one that the altornator is in the way of. only way your getting that bolt out is from under the car, reach up with your 10mm open end wrench and unthred it like 1/4 inch at a time, it takes a while but it will come out, dont make the mistake i made and use the closed end on the wrench, youll never get it out, use the open side of a 10mm wrench and inch it out, believe it or not it will come out, might take 15 min but it will come out. i know this because i just did it a month ago, but believe me this is your best bet, do not attempt to get it from up top, its not gonna happen

joeck76Jul-15-05 05:14 AM
Donating 2GNT member
880 posts,
#91501, "RE: Problem Removing Bottom Half of 420A Intake Manifold."
In response to Reply # 5

not a problem let me know how you make out, this is all still fresh in my mind.

98 RS: Mods: Custom Stage 2 Turbo kit , 55mm throttle body, gutted cat, evo cat back exhaust, p/p intake manifold,p/p Head, af-x underdrive pulley, B&M short throw shifter,Built bottom end Je pistons eagle rods 8.8:1 compression.

Hahn Downpipe assembly
Hahn oil line kit
Type s bov
2G Gsx smic
walbro 255 fuel pump
Synapse missing link
Vortech s-fmu
NGK Bkr7e11 Plugs

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneJul-15-05 06:41 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#91503, "RE: Problem Removing Bottom Half of 420A Intake Manifold."
In response to Reply # 6

He's a tip: use a wrench, not a ratchet.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

Jem09Jul-15-05 06:50 AM
224 posts,
#91505, "RE: Problem Removing Bottom Half of 420A Intake Manifold."
In response to Reply # 7

I still can't get to it. I can feel it, but as far as grippin' it with the wrench, it's not happenin'... The area is very tight, did you remove anything in the way from the bottom to make better clearance? I don't know if it's because I have big hands or what? I can't believe it's takin' me so long...

DarkOne - Good Idea! Nooooooooow I know why they make wrenches.....

joeck76Jul-15-05 09:01 AM
Donating 2GNT member
880 posts,
#91508, "RE: Problem Removing Bottom Half of 420A Intake Manifold."
In response to Reply # 8

if you have really big hands you might have a bit of a problem my hands are not that small but i was able to get it off, the wrench will fit on there, i know its hard doing everything onehanded and in such a tight space but it will work trust me i battled with it for hours and hours, now i could get it off in under 20 min remember to use the open end of the wrench i used the closed end and had to re tightned it and start over but for real you will only be able to turn the bolt a 1/4 turn at a time if that. i wasent jokeing it will take like 10 min just to remove that bolt

Hahn Downpipe assembly
Hahn oil line kit
Type s bov
2G Gsx smic
walbro 255 fuel pump
Synapse missing link
Vortech s-fmu
NGK Bkr7e11 Plugs

Jem09Jul-15-05 09:55 AM
224 posts,
#91513, "RE: Problem Removing Bottom Half of 420A Intake Manifold."
In response to Reply # 9

I truly can't believe this sh!t... One BOLT is stoppin' the swap! What type of sh!t is that!? And that f!ckin' alternator and those brackets being in the way.......thank you for your attention in helpin' me with this sh!t...

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneJul-15-05 09:58 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#91514, "RE: Problem Removing Bottom Half of 420A Intake Manifold."
In response to Reply # 10

Seriosuly. Every time i've done it, i just slide a 13mm wrench in the gap in the upper alternator bracket, and back the bolt out. it shouldn't be this hard.

'13 Evo X (mostly stock)

Jem09Jul-15-05 10:00 AM
224 posts,
#91515, "RE: Problem Removing Bottom Half of 420A Intake Manifold."
In response to Reply # 10

I actually thought about installing the new P&P top half onto the old bottom half being that I can't take da Sh!t off... But I don't want to do that....I want da new "so fresh and so clean, clean" bottom half on........I'm about to go "He-Man"... Word...

hs_elrodJul-15-05 10:10 AM
Member since Aug 26th 2004
159 posts,
#91516, "RE: Problem Removing Bottom Half of 420A Intake Manifold."
In response to Reply # 12

Just because noone else has mentioned this yet, do you have cruise control? and if so have you taken that big dorky vacuum box down yet?
are you aware of the 2 honkin brakets that go from intake mani to the head?

i ask because the firts time i took mine off i had the same problem as you except i have small hands and actually got all the bolts off and learned about that stupid box and brackets the hard way.

I figure since I cant stop fixing the damn thing, I'll just create more problems to work on. The stock pile has begun. Parts PArts PARts PARTs PARTS!!!
I'm a novice listen to what I say and make your own conclusion. If I'm wrong tell me and I will learn. Thanks be to the 2gnt Gods may they grant me turbo and fruits of the Earth. Amen.

joeck76Jul-15-05 10:13 AM
Donating 2GNT member
880 posts,
#91517, "RE: Problem Removing Bottom Half of 420A Intake Manifold."
In response to Reply # 12

is it 13mm dark one i thought it was 10?? there were somany different sizes that day hard to keep track but seriously i hate to sound like a broken record but it will come out with a wrench i really dont remember removing anything else though, i just remember it being really tight and having to go little by little, also your gonna want to get the bottom half off in order to get the true effect from the porting job, you might wanna remove the egr to so everything stays nice and polished, that is only if you can get away with it wherevevr your from.
p.s kinda off topic here but darkone i noticed you posting in here and i cant seem to get in touch with you to get you to update my user info to (donating member)

Hahn Downpipe assembly
Hahn oil line kit
Type s bov
2G Gsx smic
walbro 255 fuel pump
Synapse missing link
Vortech s-fmu
NGK Bkr7e11 Plugs

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneJul-15-05 07:21 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#91522, "RE: Problem Removing Bottom Half of 420A Intake Manifold."
In response to Reply # 14

Originally posted by joeck76
is it 13mm dark one i thought it was 10??

Culd go either way, there's both back there. I think mine was a 13.

Originally posted by joeck76
kinda off topic here but darkone i noticed you posting in here and i cant seem to get in touch with you to get you to update my user info to (donating member)

Sorry, i've been busy and its a one-off, manual change. i usually do them 3 or 4 at a time just for that reason. Send me a PM, and i'll get you taken care of.

'13 Evo X (mostly stock)

eclipse982nrRSTJul-15-05 02:54 PM
Member since Mar 16th 2004
6314 posts,
#91519, "RE: Problem Removing Bottom Half of 420A Intake Manifold."
In response to Reply # 2

Originally posted by Jem09
No, I haven't tried that. I thought about lifting the car up so I can go underneath, but it looks like I'd be able to reach it. And what do you mean by "snaking it out"? I'm open to any and everything right now, I'm about to punch it off. .: Laughin' :.

lol just another ohio phrase for taking something off. "snake it off". lol, ohio slang i guess. please tell me that you got that bolt out by now!?

-MIKE-

Stroked 2.2L

MCubed45Jul-15-05 05:27 PM
Member since Sep 17th 2002
2706 posts,
#91520, "RE: Problem Removing Bottom Half of 420A Intake Manifold."
In response to Reply # 15

that bolt is dumb. it made me mad.

-marc

WickedESiJul-15-05 05:53 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3090 posts,
#91521, "RE: Problem Removing Bottom Half of 420A Intake Manifold."
In response to Reply # 16

I could be mistaken, but I think I remember using a 13 mm deep well socket w/ a swivel at the end of it then an extension each time I've taken it off.

Joel Baldridge, ASE Certified Master Technician, Audi Certified Expert Technician

MCubed45Jul-16-05 10:54 AM
Member since Sep 17th 2002
2706 posts,
#91533, "RE: Problem Removing Bottom Half of 420A Intake Manifold."
In response to Reply # 17

now that i think of it i think the problem was that i didn't have a deep enough socket. that's why i ended up inching it out with an open ended wrench. that took forever though. i think there's enough clearance for the socket head - you just need one that's really deep.

-marc

Jem09Jul-16-05 12:34 PM
224 posts,
#91534, "RE: Problem Removing Bottom Half of 420A Intake Manifold."
In response to Reply # 19

Okay fellas, I thought I'd update with my good news.....da sh!t is finally off (I removed it a few hours ago, but ate a lil' somethin' and relaxed)....right now I'm going to lubricate da injectors and install da top half...da TB is already installed. When everythin' is bolted nice and tight, I'll be takin' pics. and uploadin' them for my personal savin', but if you'd like to see em' (nothin' special or diff. than your Eclipse) let me know, I'll post a few. Once again, GOOD LOOKIN' OUT to all those fellas that gave me advise and helped through da process....

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #91492 Previous topic | Next topic