Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 4 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #89890
View in linear mode

Subject: "front motor mount bolt, just noticed something" Previous topic | Next topic
turbo8uJun-02-05 05:37 AM
Member since Jun 15th 2003
10552 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#89890, "front motor mount bolt, just noticed something"

the stock motor mount itself is about 1/2" ID

the stock motor mount BRACKET (bolted to the trans) is about 3/8" ID...

the stock front motor mount BOLT...is 3/8

i just drilled out the bracket, threw in a 1/2" grade 8 bolt and my car feels totally different. i was having a problem kind of with the motor flexing and causing wheel hop, i have all prothane mounts too...

after i put in this bolt, its solid

just thought id share, i confirmed the sizes on a bone stock 97 talon as well as my car...it seems like how the motor mount was set up from the factory, is for the bolt to have some freedom inside the rubber mount itself.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: front motor mount bolt, just noticed something, madhatter210, May-26-05 07:54 AM, #1
RE: front motor mount bolt, just noticed something, 95dsmrsproj, May-26-05 04:46 PM, #2
      RE: front motor mount bolt, just noticed something, powellds, May-26-05 05:59 PM, #3
           RE: front motor mount bolt, just noticed something, Teamner947, May-26-05 06:09 PM, #4
                RE: front motor mount bolt, just noticed something, Sorry_i_Win, May-27-05 01:48 AM, #5
RE: front motor mount bolt, just noticed something, Teamner947, May-27-05 10:14 AM, #6
RE: front motor mount bolt, just noticed something, turbo8u, May-29-05 06:12 AM, #7
      RE: front motor mount bolt, just noticed something, DJ420a, Jun-01-05 02:31 PM, #8
           RE: front motor mount bolt, just noticed something, Teamner947, Jun-01-05 09:10 PM, #9
                RE: front motor mount bolt, just noticed something, DJ420a, Jun-02-05 11:36 AM, #10

madhatter210May-26-05 07:54 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2720 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#89891, "RE: front motor mount bolt, just noticed something"
In response to Reply # 0

I noticed the same thing even with the solid mount I got from howell, the stock bolt was smaller and still allowed a little play on harder take offs. Even tighend down it still jumped in the hole a little. 1/8 isn't much but I think I will try swapping to the bigger and see what happends. lol thanks for noticing a difference stoner.

http://www.murderpimp.com

2gnt T-shirts&swag
http://www.cafepress.com/mads

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

95dsmrsprojMay-26-05 04:46 PM
Member since Oct 25th 2003
375 posts,
#89918, "RE: front motor mount bolt, just noticed something"
In response to Reply # 1

Good Find!

powelldsMay-26-05 05:59 PM
Member since Jul 06th 2003
916 posts,
#89923, "RE: front motor mount bolt, just noticed something"
In response to Reply # 2

Nice, now that I think about it, that bolt does play around a little. I'll be doin the same. Thanks bro!
~Jeffo

Hey, have you seen my tail lights? Yeah, well get used to looking at them.

Teamner947May-26-05 06:09 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3168 posts,
#89926, "RE: front motor mount bolt, just noticed something"
In response to Reply # 3

The bolt needed to fill up the mount that bolts to the subframe is actually closer to 5/8". While installing my new windage tray/oil pan baffle I gave this one a shot. I picked up a Home Depot 5/8" x 3" nut and bolt for $1.41. It's a little long, but whatever. I haven't finished installing the thing in the oil pan yet so I haven't tested it. Even if I don't notice anything, it's only $1.41 and 5 minutes of drilling out the bracket so whatever. In theory it should at least reduce engine movement a tad.

2016 WRX STi Limited (current)
2001 A4 1.8tqms (donated)
1991 GVR4 #1933 (sold)
old.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=218 (dismantled)

Sorry_i_WinMay-27-05 01:48 AM
Member since Jul 10th 2002
1910 posts,
#89929, "RE: front motor mount bolt, just noticed something"
In response to Reply # 4

hmmm.. interesting.. i've been having huge wheel hop problems so I think I'll also be giving this one a try. thanks for sharing man.

Anyone know anyone who can help me tune this in the Pittsburgh area (Greensburg)?

Teamner947May-27-05 10:14 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3168 posts,
#89939, "RE: front motor mount bolt, just noticed something"
In response to Reply # 0

This fix works pretty well. I tried very hard to make my car wheel hop today, and it would just spin the tires. Clutch chatter isn't as bad anymore either. There were no affects at idle, i.e. there was no additional vibration. A good find.

What about the rear motor mount? I'm too lazy to check it because it's such a PITA to deal with the rear motor mount, but if anyone has their car already apart in that area it would be fantastic if they took a look at it.

1991 GVR4 #1933 (sold)

turbo8uMay-29-05 06:12 AM
Member since Jun 15th 2003
10552 posts,
#89971, "RE: front motor mount bolt, just noticed something"
In response to Reply # 6

Originally posted by ner947
This fix works pretty well. I tried very hard to make my car wheel hop today, and it would just spin the tires. Clutch chatter isn't as bad anymore either. There were no affects at idle, i.e. there was no additional vibration. A good find. What about the rear motor mount? I'm too lazy to check it because it's such a PITA to deal with the rear motor mount, but if anyone has their car already apart in that area it would be fantastic if they took a look at it.

ill have my shit all taken apart again here real soon and i'll be sure and check nate, im interested as well

DJ420aJun-01-05 02:31 PM
Member since May 19th 2004
1219 posts,
#90114, "RE: front motor mount bolt, just noticed something"
In response to Reply # 7

I changed my front bolt while I had the tranny out. As for the rear motor mount, it will not fit a 5/8 bolt, its definitley smaller, but bigger than the stock bolt, there was play.

Teamner947Jun-01-05 09:10 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3168 posts,
#90123, "RE: front motor mount bolt, just noticed something"
In response to Reply # 8

For the front bolt you need to drill out the bracket that attaches to the transmission to 5/8" for it to fit in the properly sized 5/8" bolt.

For the rear mount... was the hole in the bracket that bolts to the transmission smaller than 5/8" or the bushing that bolts to the frame?

1991 GVR4 #1933 (sold)

DJ420aJun-02-05 11:36 AM
Member since May 19th 2004
1219 posts,
#90158, "RE: front motor mount bolt, just noticed something"
In response to Reply # 9
Jun-02-05 11:38 AM by DJ420a

Originally posted by ner947
For the front bolt you need to drill out the bracket that attaches to the transmission to 5/8" for it to fit in the properly sized 5/8" bolt. For the rear mount... was the hole in the bracket that bolts to the transmission smaller than 5/8" or the bushing that bolts to the frame?

They were both smaller than 5/8. The bushing itself was a little bigger than the bracket hole though. I didnt take the time to measure it, I just wanted to get the tranny back in. Its somewhere between the 3/8 to 1/2 mark.

You are correct though on the front I drilled and replaced with a 5/8 bolt.

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #89890 Previous topic | Next topic