Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #83274
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Replacing 95 GS head with wrecked 96 GSX head." 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Previous topic | Next topic
csnnalDec-08-04 09:45 AM
Member since Oct 28th 2004
66 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#83274, "Replacing 95 GS head with wrecked 96 GSX head."

My mechanic has run across a wrecked 96 eclipse GSX. The engine block is ruined do to being cracked from the wreck. The head and the turbo is supposedly still in good shape. Can anyone tell me any reason not to get the head and turbo and switch them out with my car (95 eclipse GS/auto).

Newbies learn the hard way!!!

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
ryansiefringDec-08-04 09:57 AM
Member since Nov 24th 2004
237 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#83275, "RE: Replacing 95 GS head with wrecked 96 GSX head."
In response to Reply # 0
Dec-08-04 09:58 AM by ryansiefring

i doubt it will work easily, i think the 420a has a better head anyways, but i can't confirm either. you would have to do a full drive train swap. there is a company that does this over on a diffrent forum. that could be something to consider. wouldn't all wheel drive be nice?

Ryan Siefring
Located near Dayton OH, zip 45356
Student at the University of Dayton.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

ModeratorDR1665v2Dec-08-04 10:06 AM
Member since Sep 07th 2004
1223 posts,
#83276, "RE: Replacing 95 GS head with wrecked 96 GSX head."
In response to Reply # 0
Dec-08-04 10:07 AM by DR1665v2

Originally posted by csnnal
Can anyone tell me any reason not to get the head and turbo and switch them out with my car (95 eclipse GS/auto).

I can. SO can about 10,000 other people who have spent a total of 5 minutes on any DSM forum....

IT'S A DIFFERENT ENGINE. WHY DON'T YOU JUST HAVE YOUR MECHANIC INSTALL A SET OF HEADS FROM A VIPER. YOU CAN USE THE SAME OIL FILTER, WHY NOT THE SAME HEAD?

Or chalk me up to being an asshole and let him try it. Have fun trying to get the timing belt on, or perform a miracle with pulleys and be the first kid on your block to have to install an air filter on your muffler and explain why you get steam out your CAI on cold mornings.

EDIT:
Paging tim97rs to the Perf/Eng forum. tim97rs to the Perf/Eng forum.

"By three methods we may learn wisdom:
First, by reflection, which is noblest;
Second, by imitation, which is easiest;
and third by experience, which is the bitterest."
- Confucius

ArkDec-08-04 10:11 AM
Member since Aug 31st 2004
1570 posts,
#83277, "RE: Replacing 95 GS head with wrecked 96 GSX head."
In response to Reply # 2

I love this forum.

forums.kaptainmyke.com/index.php?&act=garage&CODE=12&CID=8
- AGP CAI
- AGP EVM
- MOPAR Stage 1 ECU
- 500cc Injectors

And he wonders why he couldn't make her happy...and someone obviously hasnt moved on. lol

DSMRoadsterDec-08-04 10:38 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3445 posts,
#83281, "RE: Replacing 95 GS head with wrecked 96 GSX head."
In response to Reply # 1

Originally posted by ryansiefring
i doubt it will work easily, i think the 420a has a better head anyways, but i can't confirm either. you would have to do a full drive train swap. there is a company that does this over on a diffrent forum. that could be something to consider. wouldn't all wheel drive be nice?

watch out everyone, this guy knows exactly what he's talking about. So exactly how does a head affects drive train? This is like 4 degrees of separation here. You two need to step back from your cars and pick up a few books.

intricatelines.com/ -graphics and vinyls

"Tell them of us and say,
For their tomorrow,
We gave our today."
-- The Kohima Epitaph

talonguy2005Dec-08-04 12:15 PM
Member since May 16th 2004
1473 posts,
#83282, "RE: Replacing 95 GS head with wrecked 96 GSX head."
In response to Reply # 3

this thread almost got me in tears of laughter!!!!

1992 Plymouth Laser
-Bone stock for now.

enhanceDec-08-04 12:31 PM
Old School 2GNTer
246 posts,
#83283, "RE: Replacing 95 GS head with wrecked 96 GSX head."
In response to Reply # 5

ummm.....lol

Why do you get steam out of your CAI on cold mornings?

Tony

Ebay intake/Pacesetter header/OBX catback/PT lifters/PT clutch
AF/X UDP/crankscraper/Symborski shift kit/ shortened shifter
3KGT 16X8s

eclipse982nrRSTDec-08-04 01:59 PM
Member since Mar 16th 2004
6314 posts,
#83285, "RE: Replacing 95 GS head with wrecked 96 GSX head."
In response to Reply # 6

muha, i love this one

-MIKE-

Stroked 2.2L

AdministratorCODE4Dec-08-04 03:05 PM
Member since Nov 23rd 2003
2552 posts,
#83287, "RE: Replacing 95 GS head with wrecked 96 GSX head."
In response to Reply # 2

Originally posted by DR1665v2
Originally posted by csnnal Can anyone tell me any reason not to get the head and turbo and switch them out with my car (95 eclipse GS/auto).
I can. SO can about 10,000 other people who have spent a total of 5 minutes on any DSM forum.... IT'S A DIFFERENT ENGINE. WHY DON'T YOU JUST HAVE YOUR MECHANIC INSTALL A SET OF HEADS FROM A VIPER. YOU CAN USE THE SAME OIL FILTER, WHY NOT THE SAME HEAD? Or chalk me up to being an asshole and let him try it. Have fun trying to get the timing belt on, or perform a miracle with pulleys and be the first kid on your block to have to install an air filter on your muffler and explain why you get steam out your CAI on cold mornings. EDIT: Paging tim97rs to the Perf/Eng forum. tim97rs to the Perf/Eng forum.

LMFAO Brian. Thank you for brightening my day =]

Seriously.

---

2012 2500HD LML

THEBALLIN1Dec-08-04 03:10 PM
Member since Sep 28th 2004
176 posts,
#83288, "RE: Replacing 95 GS head with wrecked 96 GSX head."
In response to Reply # 8

GSX head has cams on the other side, ours our on the LEFT (facing windshield)....

just isnt feasible.....and if you find a way to do it, youve wasted time/$$$

-EE

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/>

AdministratorCODE4Dec-08-04 03:12 PM
Member since Nov 23rd 2003
2552 posts,
#83289, "RE: Replacing 95 GS head with wrecked 96 GSX head."
In response to Reply # 9
Dec-08-04 03:12 PM by CODE4

Originally posted by THEBALLIN1
GSX head has cams on the other side, ours our on the LEFT (facing windshield).... just isnt feasible.....and if you find a way to do it, youve wasted time/$$$ -EE

That is assuming the head would even bolt to the block in the first place.

EDIT: Which it does not.

---

2012 2500HD LML

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #83274 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Previous topic | Next topic