Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #82707
View in linear mode

Subject: "Not starting, not turning over, got fuel" Previous topic | Next topic
_Nov-14-04 11:18 AM
Member since Apr 02nd 2004
26 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#82707, "Not starting, not turning over, got fuel"

No problems before I tried to start the car today. When I turned the key, I heard it barely turning over, then it stopped. Tried again, not turning over. I could hear the pump priming behind me. So I popped the hood...and saw some smoke and smelled something burning. The smoke was around the passenger side close to the firewall. It possibly could've blown that way from wind, but that's where I saw it. Could this be my starter? I don't know much of anything at all when it comes to engines. If it possibly is the starter, how difficult is it to swap out? How much would a used starter cost? What else could this be? Thanks in advance.

_

_

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Not starting, not turning over, got fuel, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Nov-14-04 11:32 AM, #1
RE: Not starting, not turning over, got fuel, ez, Nov-14-04 01:15 PM, #2
      RE: Not starting, not turning over, got fuel, sike, Nov-15-04 02:37 PM, #3
           RE: Not starting, not turning over, got fuel, sike, Nov-15-04 03:38 PM, #4
                RE: Not starting, not turning over, got fuel, _, Nov-16-04 07:36 AM, #5
                     RE: Not starting, not turning over, got fuel, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Nov-16-04 08:17 AM, #6
                          RE: Not starting, not turning over, got fuel, _, Nov-16-04 09:36 AM, #7
                               RE: Not starting, not turning over, got fuel, Ark, Nov-16-04 09:38 AM, #8
                                    RE: Not starting, not turning over, got fuel, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Nov-16-04 10:53 AM, #9

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneNov-14-04 11:32 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#82709, "RE: Not starting, not turning over, got fuel"
In response to Reply # 0
Nov-14-04 11:33 AM by DarkOne

The starter is on the front ofthe motor under the exhaust manifold. More likely it was your alternator spontainiously combusting. Depending on the extent of the damage itmay not be charging at all, and you may have drained the battery trying to start it.

Nice username by the way. That's confusing as fuck.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

ezNov-14-04 01:15 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3461 posts,
#82715, "RE: Not starting, not turning over, got fuel"
In response to Reply # 1
Nov-14-04 01:16 PM by ez

Nice username by the way. That's confusing as fuck.

yea your profile cracks me up to. know a few girls in that state. anyways sounds like the alternator first, perhaps the starter

2gnt: '99 RS-T, killed by a toyota, pending rebuild...
Daily: Volt
Daily #2: '99 EVG ebike- STOLEN by PEDRO

sikeNov-15-04 02:37 PM
Member since Aug 06th 2003
531 posts,
#82734, "RE: Not starting, not turning over, got fuel"
In response to Reply # 2

Might be blow-by, and the reason your car wont start. Do a compression test if you can. Take the breather hose off and see if it blows out while cranking. If not the smoke may be backfire... ignition problem? I'm no mechanic, just my 2 cents.

sikeNov-15-04 03:38 PM
Member since Aug 06th 2003
531 posts,
#82738, "RE: Not starting, not turning over, got fuel"
In response to Reply # 3

I skimed over the part about barely trying to start and revoke that statement about a 420a having blow-by! like we'd ever have that problem?! HA. I'd check the battery before you consider my previous post.

_Nov-16-04 07:36 AM
26 posts,
#82756, "RE: Not starting, not turning over, got fuel"
In response to Reply # 4

The battery is fine, it was just replaced a few months ago, and all the dash lights/head lights work fine, and I could hear the fuel pump. The battery terminals had a little green gunk on them, so I cleaned them off - no dice. I tried jumping the car. No dice. Still not even a click, just the pump behind me.

What is my next step? This is very important to me as this car is my daily driver and I'm borrowing someone else's car to go to work, but I can't do that much longer. I appreciate any replies that have something to do with my problem, and not my username.

Help! :x

_

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneNov-16-04 08:17 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#82757, "RE: Not starting, not turning over, got fuel"
In response to Reply # 5

Well, I'd see if the starter will engage at all. Test this by taking the smaller of the two wires that runs to it, the solinoid wire (look south of the battery, it's black and yellow if i remeber correctly) and apply 12v+ directly to it by jumping it to the battery. If the starter engages and turns, I'd suspect the starter relay and/or associated wiring harness. If it does not, it is most likely the starter.

'13 Evo X (mostly stock)

_Nov-16-04 09:36 AM
26 posts,
#82762, "RE: Not starting, not turning over, got fuel"
In response to Reply # 6

Originally posted by DarkOne
Well, I'd see if the starter will engage at all. Test this by taking the smaller of the two wires that runs to it, the solinoid wire (look south of the battery, it's black and yellow if i remeber correctly) and apply 12v+ directly to it by jumping it to the battery. If the starter engages and turns, I'd suspect the starter relay and/or associated wiring harness. If it does not, it is most likely the starter.

Thanks a lot...you've been very helpful.

Yes, you remembered right, the small wire was Black and Yellow. Unfortunately nothing happened when I jumped it to the battery. Maybe I did it wrong, but I doubt it. Next step is getting that starter out of there, I guess. I have the Factory Service manual on CD, but it just so happens that for some reason the starter section is missing. Is there anything special I should know when taking it out? Looks like it's connected in about 2 spots, one of them looks like it has a ground wire connected? Is that right?

Thanks again.

_

ArkNov-16-04 09:38 AM
Member since Aug 31st 2004
1570 posts,
#82763, "RE: Not starting, not turning over, got fuel"
In response to Reply # 7

Originally posted by _
Looks like it's connected in about 2 spots, one of them looks like it has a ground wire connected? Is that right? Thanks again.

Yup.

forums.kaptainmyke.com/index.php?&act=garage&CODE=12&CID=8
- AGP CAI
- AGP EVM
- MOPAR Stage 1 ECU
- 500cc Injectors

And he wonders why he couldn't make her happy...and someone obviously hasnt moved on. lol

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneNov-16-04 10:53 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#82776, "RE: Not starting, not turning over, got fuel"
In response to Reply # 8

Originally posted by Ark
Yup.

'13 Evo X (mostly stock)

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #82707 Previous topic | Next topic