Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #817
View in linear mode

Subject: "Need to ReTorque Head 500 miles after head gasket replacement?" Previous topic | Next topic
Teameclipse804Apr-18-01 07:23 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5174 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#817, "Need to ReTorque Head 500 miles after head gasket replacement?"

Hey guys, I need some opinions. Do I need to have the head retorqued after replacing the head gasket? I had the head ported and milled to 10.6:1 compression, and have driven over 500 miles with the stock MLS head gasket. Someone mentioned that it should be retorqued after driving a while? Is that necessary, because its a lot more labor since the cams have to be removed to retorque the head. Thanks.

eclipse804@hotmail.com
http://importdeals.homestead.com
Import Parts and Performance

2004 WRX - WR Blue Pearl
1997 Eclipse GS - Royal Sapphire Pearl

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Go by what Mike at Road Race says, Kahn, Apr-18-01 11:12 PM, #1
RE: Go by what Mike at Road Race says, MWC, Apr-19-01 01:08 AM, #2
      RE: I'm with you MWC, TeamMichael_97RS, Apr-19-01 01:27 AM, #3
           Well - maybe it isn't the same for all cars..but..., Kahn, Apr-19-01 02:11 AM, #4
                RE: Well - maybe it isn't the same for all cars..but..., 95ESi, Apr-19-01 03:05 AM, #5
                     RE: Well - maybe it isn't the same for all cars..but..., Teameclipse804, Apr-19-01 03:19 AM, #6
                          RE: Well - maybe it isn't the same for all cars..but..., TeamStan2gnt, Apr-19-01 04:02 AM, #7
                               RE: Well - maybe it isn't the same for all cars..but..., Teameclipse804, Apr-19-01 04:57 AM, #8
                                    RE: Well - maybe it isn't the same for all cars..but..., XT_DSM, Apr-19-01 07:45 AM, #9
                                    XT_DSM, Skrilla, Apr-19-01 01:04 PM, #10
                                         RE: XT_DSM, XT_DSM, Apr-19-01 06:25 PM, #12
                                    RE: Well - maybe it isn't the same for all cars..but..., TeamStan2gnt, Apr-19-01 02:06 PM, #11

KahnApr-18-01 11:12 PM
Old School 2GNTer
431 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#818, "Go by what Mike at Road Race says"
In response to Reply # 0

If they say you have to, they should take care of it for you. If they say no, then I wouldn't worry about it. I just know in my experience rebuilding a car, and having a head gasket done if you are gonna drive it hard you have to check to make sure the head bolts stay within spec on the torque settings. Best of luck to you.

2003 VW GTI 1.8t.. I used to have a 95 Eclipse but well...water sucks.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

MWCApr-19-01 01:08 AM
Old School 2GNTer
251 posts,
#819, "RE: Go by what Mike at Road Race says"
In response to Reply # 1

no, it is not required to retourqe, when the head bolts get tourqed the first time and with the additional 1/4 turn on each one, does the job. Not to mention that after the head gets hot the bolts threds will swell a little causeing it to seal even more. But if who ever did the work says it should be rechecked and they are willing to do the job as part of the install, then hey! might as well. I just rebuilt the motor and I was told there will be no retourqeing of anything.
SEE YA!!!!!!!!!!!MWC

http://smkn95eclipsemwc.homestead.com/mainpage.html

TeamMichael_97RSApr-19-01 01:27 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5866 posts,
#820, "RE: I'm with you MWC"
In response to Reply # 2

I've never heard of anybody taking everythign apart after driving to re-torque the head bolts. You don't do it on a new car do you?

"To strive to seek to find... and not to yield."
Michael J. Kulaga
Michael_97RS@2gntDSM.zzn.com
aol IM: MJKulga
http://highlander.dsmpower.com/

Firefly:
Mal: You don't know me, son, so let me put this to you plainly: If I ever kill you, you'll be awake. You'll be facing me. And you'll be armed.

KahnApr-19-01 02:11 AM
Old School 2GNTer
431 posts,
#821, "Well - maybe it isn't the same for all cars..but..."
In response to Reply # 3

I know that it is definitely required on the Honda CRX that I was playing around with. I had the head milled, and replaced the head gasket - it was absolutely necessary to check and re-torque if necessary the head bolts on the car after 500 miles as well as change the oil, etc...

Of course it only required removing the valve cover to do it.

This allows you to be certain their is no seapage due to expansion of parts (which happens after you heat them) - when you are sealing everything back together is your engine warm???

I don't know - I am still gonna stick by my guns of checking the head bolts to be sure - I would really rather not have to pull the head to do the head gasket a second time because I didn't want to spend the extra hour checking the bolts to make sure they were staying within spec. Good luck Eclipse804 whatever it is that you decide. I am a stubborn guy - and I will continue to be stubborn

2003 VW GTI 1.8t.. I used to have a 95 Eclipse but well...water sucks.

95ESiApr-19-01 03:05 AM
Old School 2GNTer
842 posts,
#822, "RE: Well - maybe it isn't the same for all cars..but..."
In response to Reply # 4

Actually, I think if you use ARP head studs you gotta retorque after running the engine hot. Check the arp literature; it says it there...

Boost is GOOOOOOOD!

Teameclipse804Apr-19-01 03:19 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5174 posts,
#823, "RE: Well - maybe it isn't the same for all cars..but..."
In response to Reply # 5

Thanks for the input guys. I guess its not necessary but an option. Mike at RRE wanted me to find out what other 2gnt guys had to say, since each motor is different. The turbos don't really have a problem with hg leak, and usually any dealer won't tell you to come back to retorque it after driving around, so I'm sure it will be ok without being retorqued right? Thanks.

eclipse804@hotmail.com

2004 WRX - WR Blue Pearl

TeamStan2gntApr-19-01 04:02 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2216 posts,
#824, "RE: Well - maybe it isn't the same for all cars..but..."
In response to Reply # 6

I had my head milled just as you and never retorqued the head. Its been well over a yr and over 30K miles and I plenty of lbs of nitrous pushed through it.

Stan2gnt
Stan2va@aol.com
95 Talon ES-I(and Turbo is here!)

:farfrommugen:
Yes I still own a 2gnt.
Damn right I've been here longer than U
klassic_liven@yahoo.com

Teameclipse804Apr-19-01 04:57 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5174 posts,
#825, "RE: Well - maybe it isn't the same for all cars..but..."
In response to Reply # 7

Hey Stan, I wanted to ask you about your car. How is the idle? Is it rougher than before? Did you port the head? Also, have you tuned your cam gears at all - any suggestions? And are you going to still run such high compression with the turbo? Dang I have a lot of questions...

eclipse804@hotmail.com

2004 WRX - WR Blue Pearl

XT_DSMApr-19-01 07:45 AM
Old School 2GNTer
133 posts,
#826, "RE: Well - maybe it isn't the same for all cars..but..."
In response to Reply # 8

http://members.home.net/xtatdsm

You don't have to retorue your head Bolts if you are using the stock head bolts, if you were using ARP head studs, then yes you will need to.

BTW, you don't have to take the cams off to retorque your head studs or even head bolts (I retorques my stock head bolts just for the heck of it) you will just need to use short 15mm socket along with the mid size extender (not what's the actual diamter of that extender, but there are only 3 sizes, big, small and mid. I used the mid size with short 15mm socket and turned the bolts 1/8 of a turn, again I did not have to do that, but I did it just to make me feel better

Adel

SkrillaApr-19-01 01:04 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1868 posts,
#827, "XT_DSM"
In response to Reply # 9

Do you have studs or bolts?

Skrilla
'97 Base Talon NA
"Technology: The Only Replacement for Displacement"
"Peace and Turbo Grease"

*Skrilla
"Honest officer, I thought you were trying to race me"
Talon: 1st 2.4L
'97 Prelude
'04 350Z

Originally posted by YourInMyMirror95GS
dick teaser's should be rounded up and shot in the forehead
Originally posted by etx
Good luck man! Project 'STFU Brian your talon is dead meat' should be on it's feet soon!
Originally posted by Dark0ne
Thanks. Now excuse me while i fuck your sister.
"fuck all motor" -turbo ate you

XT_DSMApr-19-01 06:25 PM
Old School 2GNTer
133 posts,
#828, "RE: XT_DSM"
In response to Reply # 10

http://members.home.net/xtatdsm

I have the stock head bolts.

like I said b4, I did not have to retrque the bolts, I just did cause I thought it would not hurt to do so.

Adel

TeamStan2gntApr-19-01 02:06 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2216 posts,
#829, "RE: Well - maybe it isn't the same for all cars..but..."
In response to Reply # 8

>Hey Stan, I wanted to ask
>you about your car.
>How is the idle?
>Is it rougher than before?

Just like stock

> Did you port the
>head?

No. Ran out of money

Also, have you
>tuned your cam gears at
>all - any suggestions?

Cam gears have been taken off since they weren't installed properly initially. All I can say is milling the head retards timing. When I had them I was all over the place on a daily basis (another reason I never tried to put them back on)

>And are you going to
>still run such high compression
>with the turbo?

Just 5psi until I can pull the head and put the CNNP .040" spacer (as soon as I can afford the labor) in place to bring me back up to near stock (pistons are 9.8C). Then eventually I"ll put my orig head back on for a 9:1 compression but I need to put in new valvetrain parts and get it ported.

Stan2gnt
Stan2va@aol.com
95 Talon ES-I(and Turbo is here!)

:farfrommugen:
Yes I still own a 2gnt.
Damn right I've been here longer than U
klassic_liven@yahoo.com

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #817 Previous topic | Next topic