Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #804
View in linear mode

Subject: "Where to get intake manifold ported?" Previous topic | Next topic
TeamAvengerApr-18-01 04:26 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2453 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#804, "Where to get intake manifold ported?"

Where should I get my intake manifold ported that will do a good job? Should I get it extrude honed?

-Avenger
99 Eclipse RS

-"Easy Mac"
05 Mazda RX-8 (RR8 #88)
99 Eclipse RS 398whp & 372lb-ft

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Where to get intake manifold ported?, Teameclipse804, Apr-18-01 05:15 PM, #1
RE: Where to get intake manifold ported?, TeamAvenger, Apr-18-01 05:56 PM, #2
      RE: Where to get intake manifold ported?, Teameclipse804, Apr-18-01 06:22 PM, #3
           RE: Where to get intake manifold ported?, Teameclipse804, Apr-18-01 06:24 PM, #4
RE: Where to get intake manifold ported?, TeamMichael_97RS, Apr-19-01 06:54 AM, #5
I ditto that..., Skrilla, Apr-19-01 01:08 PM, #6
      RE: I ditto that..., TeamAvenger, Apr-20-01 04:10 AM, #7
           RE: I ditto that..., DAVE_FL (Guest), Apr-20-01 07:17 AM, #8
           RE: I ditto that..., mcgyvr, Apr-20-01 07:22 AM, #9
                Yeah right..., Skrilla, Apr-20-01 01:56 PM, #10
           Port it yourself..., Skrilla, Apr-20-01 02:02 PM, #11
                RE: Port it yourself..., TeamAvenger, Apr-21-01 05:03 AM, #12

Teameclipse804Apr-18-01 05:15 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5174 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#805, "RE: Where to get intake manifold ported?"
In response to Reply # 0

I hear that extrude hone is really the best, because even if you port it, you can't get all the parts, and it won't be as smooth as extrude honed. But extrude hone is expensive, around 300 bucks, so its really up to you...

eclipse804@hotmail.com
http://importdeals.homestead.com
Import Parts and Performance

2004 WRX - WR Blue Pearl
1997 Eclipse GS - Royal Sapphire Pearl

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

TeamAvengerApr-18-01 05:56 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2453 posts,
#806, "RE: Where to get intake manifold ported?"
In response to Reply # 1

That's not too big a deal ... something to spend that tax return when I get it. But who does extrude honing?

-Avenger
99 Eclipse RS

-"Easy Mac"
05 Mazda RX-8 (RR8 #88)

Teameclipse804Apr-18-01 06:22 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5174 posts,
#807, "RE: Where to get intake manifold ported?"
In response to Reply # 2

I think only the company, Extrude Hone, does it. Their website is extrudehone.com and it says to call 1-800-613-1065 for a quote. If you find out how much, including return shipping, please let us all know.

eclipse804@hotmail.com

2004 WRX - WR Blue Pearl

Teameclipse804Apr-18-01 06:24 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5174 posts,
#808, "RE: Where to get intake manifold ported?"
In response to Reply # 3

BTW, I heard it is around 300 to extrude hone the intake manifold. If you just want it ported, Road Race Engineering can do it for under 150 I believe.

eclipse804@hotmail.com

2004 WRX - WR Blue Pearl

TeamMichael_97RSApr-19-01 06:54 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5866 posts,
#809, "RE: Where to get intake manifold ported?"
In response to Reply # 0

The best combo is a hand porting to match all the openings to the gasket. Then extrude hone it to smooth out the surface. The basically flow a water/sand mixture, nice and abrasive to smooth out the inside. extrudehone does the work, but there are several sites you can go through, I think Extreme Motorsports will sen ti away, and there are others.

"To strive to seek to find... and not to yield."
Michael J. Kulaga
Michael_97RS@2gntDSM.zzn.com
aol IM: MJKulga
http://highlander.dsmpower.com/

Firefly:
Mal: You don't know me, son, so let me put this to you plainly: If I ever kill you, you'll be awake. You'll be facing me. And you'll be armed.

SkrillaApr-19-01 01:08 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1868 posts,
#810, "I ditto that..."
In response to Reply # 5

...because EH doesn't remove too much material. What the best thing to do it hand port VERY GOOD along with a port match to the TB and Cylinder head. Then send it to be EH. EH shoots a thick, high abrasive liquid through the manifold and smoothes it for best flow then they bench it for you to make sure the same amount of CFM's are flowing through each runner. That is the best method

Skrilla
'97 Base Talon NA
"Technology: The Only Replacement for Displacement"
"Peace and Turbo Grease"

*Skrilla
"Honest officer, I thought you were trying to race me"
Talon: 1st 2.4L
'97 Prelude
'04 350Z

Originally posted by YourInMyMirror95GS
dick teaser's should be rounded up and shot in the forehead
Originally posted by etx
Good luck man! Project 'STFU Brian your talon is dead meat' should be on it's feet soon!
Originally posted by Dark0ne
Thanks. Now excuse me while i fuck your sister.
"fuck all motor" -turbo ate you

TeamAvengerApr-20-01 04:10 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2453 posts,
#811, "RE: I ditto that..."
In response to Reply # 6

Since I don't have anything to do the porting should I get it ported then get it EH'd? That's kinda expensive then ($100+ porting + $300+ EH). Hmmm ... what to do?

-Avenger
99 Eclipse RS

-"Easy Mac"
05 Mazda RX-8 (RR8 #88)

DAVE_FL (Guest)Apr-20-01 07:17 AM

#812, "RE: I ditto that..."
In response to Reply # 7

Dont spend that much money on porting. $400 can be used for something better.....like start saving for a turbo or even a nitrous kit. More HP for the $$$$$

DAVE_FL
97GS
AEM CAI
AFX PULLEY
AFX solid motor mount
Magnaflow exhaust
Sparkco 9mm wires
Eibach Pro Kit
tokico shocks
Altezzas
A Badass sound system
Indiglows,neons,and all that good stuff...hehe

mcgyvrApr-20-01 07:22 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3121 posts,
#813, "RE: I ditto that..."
In response to Reply # 8

just get the intake manifold from venom its like 500 bucks

1998 dodge avenger 4 cyl AT
Mods are:
Not enough

SkrillaApr-20-01 01:56 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1868 posts,
#814, "Yeah right..."
In response to Reply # 9

All it is, is something printed in their catalog and website. No one here has been able to get one for the past year

Skrilla
'97 Base Talon NA
"Peace and Turbo Grease"

*Skrilla
'97 Prelude
'04 350Z

Originally posted by etx
Good luck man! Project 'STFU Brian your talon is dead meat' should be on it's feet soon!

SkrillaApr-20-01 02:02 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1868 posts,
#815, "Port it yourself..."
In response to Reply # 7

With a Dremel (& flexhead) and/or Die Grinder(MUCH QUICKER). That is about $100 and you can take the time to do it yourself to make sure it it well done. Personally I wouldn't EH(for their $400 cost - or unles money was no option) I would just hand port it have it port matched and you would be set. Port match the intake manny to the cylinder head and TB. Bore the TB too, it requires a Torx wrench to remove the TPS and Butterfly flap. I did my own TB as well, with an air Die grinder and my own port matching(very easy with the TB attached and manny dissconnected from the car)

Skrilla
'97 Base Talon NA
"Peace and Turbo Grease"

*Skrilla
'97 Prelude
'04 350Z

Originally posted by etx

TeamAvengerApr-21-01 05:03 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2453 posts,
#816, "RE: Port it yourself..."
In response to Reply # 11

Ok, what am I looking to do when I port it and about how much matrial am I removing? When I port match it to the head i'm just using the gastkey at a template ... should I port match the head to the gasket too? How do I do it without getting the excess material down into the head? Take it off?

Skrilla, would it be better if I personally emailed you for some advice and tips on porting ... never done it before.

-Avenger
99 Eclipse RS

-"Easy Mac"
05 Mazda RX-8 (RR8 #88)

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #804 Previous topic | Next topic