Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #79689
View in linear mode

Subject: "Mating an automatic engine to a Manual transmission!" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
jtrackerAug-26-04 08:45 AM
Member since Aug 25th 2004
72 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#79689, "Mating an automatic engine to a Manual transmission!"

Ok,
We just bought a 95 talon and the engine is running on three cylinders so we are going to take the engine out of my auto talon and put it into the manual car. The reason I got another car was because last summer a hail storm got my whole car! So anyways is there anything that I have to get to switch it over or will I have everything from both cars? We bought the manual car from a guy and said that his mechanic said that it had a hole in piston #1. We're going to take the head off and see if its a bent valve or really a whole in the piston. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks,
Justin

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Mating an automatic engine to a Manual transmission!, Dave41079, Aug-26-04 12:40 PM, #1
RE: Mating an automatic engine to a Manual transmission!, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Aug-26-04 12:52 PM, #2
      RE: Mating an automatic engine to a Manual transmission!, techboy, Aug-27-04 04:42 AM, #3
           RE: Mating an automatic engine to a Manual transmission!, thedawg, Aug-27-04 07:05 AM, #4
                RE: Mating an automatic engine to a Manual transmission!, techboy, Aug-27-04 11:34 AM, #5
                     RE: Mating an automatic engine to a Manual transmission!, bedlam32570, Aug-27-04 07:48 PM, #6
                          RE: Mating an automatic engine to a Manual transmission!, Dave41079, Aug-28-04 12:53 AM, #7
                               RE: Mating an automatic engine to a Manual transmission!, jtracker, Aug-28-04 02:42 AM, #8
                                    RE: Mating an automatic engine to a Manual transmission!, ajna_star, Aug-28-04 05:50 AM, #9
                                         RE: Mating an automatic engine to a Manual transmission!, Dave41079, Aug-28-04 06:25 AM, #10
                                              RE: Mating an automatic engine to a Manual transmission!, jtracker, Aug-28-04 04:21 PM, #11
                                              RE: Mating an automatic engine to a Manual transmission!, bedlam32570, Aug-28-04 06:40 PM, #12
                                                   RE: Mating an automatic engine to a Manual transmission!, Dave41079, Aug-28-04 10:01 PM, #13
                                                        RE: Mating an automatic engine to a Manual transmission!, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Aug-28-04 10:03 PM, #14
                                                             RE: Mating an automatic engine to a Manual transmission!, Pushin420a, Aug-28-04 10:07 PM, #15
                                                                  RE: Mating an automatic engine to a Manual transmission!, bedlam32570, Aug-30-04 08:54 AM, #16
                                                                       RE: Mating an automatic engine to a Manual transmission!, TeamMichael_97RS, Aug-30-04 09:07 AM, #17

Dave41079Aug-26-04 12:40 PM
Member since Jul 30th 2002
485 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#79690, "RE: Mating an automatic engine to a Manual transmission!"
In response to Reply # 0

Should just drop in with no problems.

Lets just say this... I'm over 100whp and soon to cross 200whp. Thanx 2GNT! Now if I could only learn to prove it.

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneAug-26-04 12:52 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#79691, "RE: Mating an automatic engine to a Manual transmission!"
In response to Reply # 1

Exact same motor. No differences between auto and manual as far as the engine goes.

Moved to Perf/Eng

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

techboyAug-27-04 04:42 AM
Member since May 20th 2002
1662 posts,
#79719, "RE: Mating an automatic engine to a Manual transmission!"
In response to Reply # 2

I'm not positive, b/c I'm manual, but think there are some differences electrically between the auto and manual. You might need to wire up some harness plugs or something. Otherwise the tranny will bolt right up like they ^^^ said. Have fun.

1999 Eclipse GST 4G63

thedawgAug-27-04 07:05 AM
Donating 2GNT member
6287 posts,
#79729, "RE: Mating an automatic engine to a Manual transmission!"
In response to Reply # 3

There are zero differences.

techboyAug-27-04 11:34 AM
Member since May 20th 2002
1662 posts,
#79749, "RE: Mating an automatic engine to a Manual transmission!"
In response to Reply # 4

Well there's your answer.

1999 Eclipse GST 4G63

bedlam32570Aug-27-04 07:48 PM
Member since Jan 09th 2002
1240 posts,
#79766, "RE: Mating an automatic engine to a Manual transmission!"
In response to Reply # 5

just swap computers cause the comps are different.

Dave41079Aug-28-04 12:53 AM
485 posts,
#79770, "RE: Mating an automatic engine to a Manual transmission!"
In response to Reply # 6

Originally posted by bedlam32570
just swap computers cause the comps are different.

If you don't know wtf you're talking about, keep your grubby little sausages off of the keyboard. Putting an engine from an automatic car into a manual transmission equipped car requires NO MODIFICATIONS. That's the end of the discussion right there. There are NO differences in engines. At all. Not even a little. They even use the same flexplate.

Lets just say this... I'm over 100whp and soon to cross 200whp. Thanx 2GNT! Now if I could only learn to prove it.

jtrackerAug-28-04 02:42 AM
72 posts,
#79771, "RE: Mating an automatic engine to a Manual transmission!"
In response to Reply # 7

Thanks for letting me know about the engines and that their are NO differences! Were taking the engines out today!! So I don't have to switch the computers? Thanks again

ajna_starAug-28-04 05:50 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5730 posts,
#79775, "RE: Mating an automatic engine to a Manual transmission!"
In response to Reply # 8
Aug-28-04 05:52 AM by ajna_star

Originally posted by Dave41079
Originally posted by bedlam32570 just swap computers cause the comps are different.
If you don't know wtf you're talking about, keep your grubby little sausages off of the keyboard.

who are you, and why are you being such an asshole? and your wrong, there is a wire that needs to be grounded i believe.

ask TalonPimpin on aim, he did the swap

2005 Corolla XRS
2ZZ 6-speed

Dave41079Aug-28-04 06:25 AM
485 posts,
#79777, "RE: Mating an automatic engine to a Manual transmission!"
In response to Reply # 9

Originally posted by ajna_star
Originally posted by bedlam32570 just swap computers cause the comps are different.
If you don't know wtf you're talking about, keep your grubby little sausages off of the keyboard.
who are you, and why are you being such an asshole? and your wrong, there is a wire that needs to be grounded i believe. ask TalonPimpin on aim, he did the swap

Who I am doesn't matter. People don't need to spread wrong information. I don't need to IM anyone and ask them. I have an engine from an AT car in my car right now.

jtrackerAug-28-04 04:21 PM
72 posts,
#79794, "RE: Mating an automatic engine to a Manual transmission!"
In response to Reply # 10

Nevermind guys,
Thanks for the help though if I ever do that! We pulled the head off today and the rocker arm broke on piston #1. So thanks anyway!

bedlam32570Aug-28-04 06:40 PM
1240 posts,
#79801, "RE: Mating an automatic engine to a Manual transmission!"
In response to Reply # 10

who are you, and why are you being such an asshole? and your wrong, there is a wire that needs to be grounded i believe. ask TalonPimpin on aim, he did the swap
Who I am doesn't matter. People don't need to spread wrong information. I don't need to IM anyone and ask them. I have an engine from an AT car in my car right now.

you know it's not nice to talk like that. my 98 computer from my autolooks completely different than my buddy's 97 manual. The auto uses the computer to shift and has different sensor on it. the manual uses some different sensors. plus I wasn't referring to the actual engines themselves. i was just referring to the computer not the engine. I already knew the engines were the same. I'll admit to things when i'm not sure about them. but i am sure that you cannot use the same computer because of the transmissions and the programming the computer contains.

Dave41079Aug-28-04 10:01 PM
485 posts,
#79814, "RE: Mating an automatic engine to a Manual transmission!"
In response to Reply # 12

you know it's not nice to talk like that. my 98 computer from my autolooks completely different than my buddy's 97 manual. The auto uses the computer to shift and has different sensor on it. the manual uses some different sensors. plus I wasn't referring to the actual engines themselves. i was just referring to the computer not the engine. I already knew the engines were the same. I'll admit to things when i'm not sure about them. but i am sure that you cannot use the same computer because of the transmissions and the programming the computer contains.

Who was talking about computers?? He asked if an engine from an AT car would work in an MT car.

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneAug-28-04 10:03 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#79815, "RE: Mating an automatic engine to a Manual transmission!"
In response to Reply # 13

Who was talking about computers?? He asked if an engine from an AT car would work in an MT car.

And it will. the engine is the same. it does not matter what the driveline is, it's the same engine. you're all idiots and i hate you.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

Pushin420aAug-28-04 10:07 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1877 posts,
#79816, "RE: Mating an automatic engine to a Manual transmission!"
In response to Reply # 14

Originally posted by DarkOne
And it will. the engine is the same. it does not matter what the driveline is, it's the same engine. you're all idiots and i hate you.

~Lee

"CHECK OUT THE NEW CARBON KNIGHT AUTO"
still under construction
http://hometown.aol.com/pushin420a/index.html

Please help fix my car..
"DONATIONS ARE WELCOME"

***MODS***
Afx/Race computer, V2CAI, 60MM TB, P&P intake, Cam Gears, Exhaust
Tein Drop springs, Tokico 5-way adjustables.

***Mods to come***
Crane Cams,UDP,full greddy exhaust,headers

Lots of Show!!

bedlam32570Aug-30-04 08:54 AM
1240 posts,
#79881, "RE: Mating an automatic engine to a Manual transmission!"
In response to Reply # 15

and if you had read my first post you would have seen that i was referring to the computer no the engine which you quoted me on in your first post. besides i'm done trying to prove my point to you now.

TeamMichael_97RSAug-30-04 09:07 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5866 posts,
#79882, "RE: Mating an automatic engine to a Manual transmission!"
In response to Reply # 16

The question has been answered.

Enough of the childish bickering.

Exile Racing Technologies: http://www.exileracing.com
So. All that's left, is... everything - Jesse James

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #79689 Previous topic | Next topic