Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #74645
View in linear mode

Subject: ".020 vs .060 over....." Previous topic | Next topic
BlueMoonEclipseMay-17-04 12:50 PM
Member since Sep 25th 2003
1352 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#74645, ".020 vs .060 over....."
May-17-04 01:00 PM by BlueMoonEclipse

Hey so i just called the machine shop and they told me block needs boring .020 over...(ergo cant use Srt pistons ...anyways i would prefer to run forged pistons cause of the amts of boost i plan for...and i have the budget)

Now turbonium and skrills seem to have their mind set on the .06 over pistons to increase displacement in a lil bit ...

BTW piston wise...since im going with Srt rods i only can choose Je pistons (would like to know who has the best price on Je's right now for Srt-4...maybe its time to troll the Srt forums boards)

(for arguments sake someone allways here tells me not to overbore more than what i need....cause later i canot bore the block anymore...then again those blocks are dirt cheap so....)

BTW could not find .06 over available online (ok im bad searching online mkay?)...(bleh guys we should all GB 2.4 pistons at jobber price.. from Je )

vote for your choice of body style for Bluie!! http://www.cardomain.com/id/bluemooneclipse

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

thedawgMay-17-04 01:02 PM
Donating 2GNT member
6287 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#74648, "RE: .020 vs .060 over....."
In response to Reply # 0

If you think you MIGHT want to rebuild your engine someday... then stick to .020 over. The reason they make .040 and .060 is if you've already done a .020 over rebuild in the past.

Get out a feeler gauge and look at .060 then ask yourself if all that extra displacement is worth it.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

BlueMoonEclipseMay-17-04 01:19 PM
Member since Sep 25th 2003
1352 posts,
#74652, "RE: .020 vs .060 over....."
In response to Reply # 1

True.. problem solved... now to search for a good deal on em....

vote for your choice of body style for Bluie!! http://www.cardomain.com/id/bluemooneclipse

Keith2172May-17-04 08:15 PM
Member since Jan 16th 2004
1281 posts,
#74676, "RE: .020 vs .060 over....."
In response to Reply # 2

Looks like you already figured it out, but for peace of mind and extra reassurance from an ex-machine shop guy, stick with the .020 over to keep that much more meat on the cylindar wall. You'll be happy you did if you're going high boost. Another question to raise though would be, are there any offerings from Dart or the like in the way of cylindar sleeves? That is something Id be interested in doing to an engine if I were serious about balls-out power.

turbo8uMay-18-04 06:37 AM
Member since Jun 15th 2003
10552 posts,
#74697, "RE: .020 vs .060 over....."
In response to Reply # 3
May-18-04 06:37 AM by turbo8u

custom pistons have to be made for a .060, they dont sell overbore forged pistons for the srt.

also, 25XXcc's is just flat out dank

and why would you want to rebuild the same block in the future after pushing 500hp out of it? just get a new block...not like the 2.4 block's are 30 bucks or anything, lol

and yea "take out a feeler gauge and measure .060 and see if its worth it"

.060 on each piston x 4 = milking displacement (the whole idea of boring an engine out) less boost for more power

do what you will but i'm 2.5

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

96 Black ESi
91 Red TSI AWD (RIP)
02 WRX

"turnin wrenches for nine hours in the pouring rain, just to get the beast up and running again"

Aerospace Certified TIG welder for Precision Castparts in Portland, OR.

JoshSpair.com

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #74645 Previous topic | Next topic