Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #63129
View in linear mode

Subject: "95 ECU to a Howell 97 ECU" Previous topic | Next topic
zhr420Nov-15-03 07:22 AM
Old School 2GNTer
557 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#63129, "95 ECU to a Howell 97 ECU"

how can this be done i have a 95 GS and the ECU is goin crazy. i have the means to get a new wire harness off a 97 and then the howell ECU will go right in right?
later
"Z"
i hate my ECU

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: 95 ECU to a Howell 97 ECU, MCubed45, Nov-15-03 07:38 AM, #1
RE: 95 ECU to a Howell 97 ECU, zhr420, Nov-15-03 07:46 AM, #2
      RE: 95 ECU to a Howell 97 ECU, Chamuko, Nov-15-03 09:12 AM, #3
      RE: 95 ECU to a Howell 97 ECU, MCubed45, Nov-15-03 10:18 AM, #4
           RE: 95 ECU to a Howell 97 ECU, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Nov-15-03 01:37 PM, #5
                RE: 95 ECU to a Howell 97 ECU, MCubed45, Nov-15-03 02:10 PM, #6
                     RE: 95 ECU to a Howell 97 ECU, zhr420, Nov-15-03 04:00 PM, #7

MCubed45Nov-15-03 07:38 AM
Member since Sep 17th 2002
2706 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#63131, "RE: 95 ECU to a Howell 97 ECU"
In response to Reply # 0

i think you *could* theoretically get a 97 harness and splice... but that'd be a shitload of splicing. you'd need to check every single wire b/c they're setup different on the different years. other than that i forget if there were some other issues. i know it wasn't anything nearly as simple as getting a new harness. otherwise everyone would do it.

-marc

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

zhr420Nov-15-03 07:46 AM
Old School 2GNTer
557 posts,
#63133, "RE: 95 ECU to a Howell 97 ECU"
In response to Reply # 1

but what if i changed the entire wire harness in the engine, the wires that leads to all the sensors and stuff.
later
"Z"

ChamukoNov-15-03 09:12 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3668 posts,
#63138, "RE: 95 ECU to a Howell 97 ECU"
In response to Reply # 2

I think the sensors might have different plugs. But they work the same.

I am by no means even close to being sure on this, just saying you should research it a bit because i recall it being mentoined.

Member # 751

FOUNDER of the Central Cali chapter of 2GNT!
(I got kicked out after I refused to go Cow tiping) - Hehehe you know who this is for

MCubed45Nov-15-03 10:18 AM
2706 posts,
#63140, "RE: 95 ECU to a Howell 97 ECU"
In response to Reply # 2
Nov-15-03 10:23 AM by MCubed45

Originally posted by zhr420
but what if i changed the entire wire harness in the engine, the wires that leads to all the sensors and stuff. later "Z"

the entire engine harness will run you $1200...

haha i just wanted a 97+ coil pack harness but satan said they only sell it as one piece (for the entire engine bay). that's how i know.

Originally posted by Chamuko
I think the sensors might have different plugs. But they work the same. I am by no means even close to being sure on this, just saying you should research it a bit because i recall it being mentoined.

i can't confirm on any other plugs but i know for a fact that your coilpack will not work with a 97 harness. so you will either need a new coilpack or hackup your old coilpack plug and splice it into the 97 wiring. that's just ONE thing i know of.. i'm sure there are many more...

no offense but there's a good reason no one else has used the howell ECU for anything besides it's intended application. there are many who would like the ECU but it's pretty much exclusively for 97 MT...

-marc

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneNov-15-03 01:37 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#63146, "RE: 95 ECU to a Howell 97 ECU"
In response to Reply # 4

It wouldn't be as hard as you guys think. The only sensors that changed plug styles are the Cam angle, Crank angle, Knock, Oil pressure switch, and coil pack. The others should all be the same.

Go tear a harness off a junkyard car.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

MCubed45Nov-15-03 02:10 PM
2706 posts,
#63149, "RE: 95 ECU to a Howell 97 ECU"
In response to Reply # 5
Nov-15-03 02:20 PM by MCubed45

lol i guess we've mostly just been to lazy to mess with it then... if you can get a spare 97 harness for cheap then go for it an keep us posted.. maybe it'll help sell more of 'em

*edit*
it'd be kinda neat if howell sold a wiring kit for non 97 cars... just run most've the new harness and splice in your old plugs where needed. maybe a little complicated for some who just want plug and play though...

-marc

zhr420Nov-15-03 04:00 PM
Old School 2GNTer
557 posts,
#63152, "RE: 95 ECU to a Howell 97 ECU"
In response to Reply # 6

sweet i am gonna try it
later
"Z"

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #63129 Previous topic | Next topic