Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #59815
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Shit! Switched to Mobil-1 Synthetic and now rod is a-knockin'" 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Previous topic | Next topic
Teamdougie2Sep-20-03 07:58 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2982 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#59815, "Shit! Switched to Mobil-1 Synthetic and now rod is a-knockin'"
Sep-20-03 08:01 PM by dougie2

I switched to Mobil-1 Synthetic 15w-50 and now, less than 50 miles later, I have a rod knocking pretty good. Drained the oil and found it glittering with bearing shavings. It sounds like only 1 rod... probably #3 or #4. This SUCKS!

I'm using Eagle rods, JE pistons, Clevite 77 bearings, and a Melling oil pump. Oil pressure never dropped and the engine was still full of oil... the oil is still fresh and transparent. I switched from conventional 10w-30 to the synthetic ~1200 miles after the rebuild.

Rods were balanced within 0.1g and rod caps torqued per Eagle/ARP specs. Bearings were properly lubed when installed.

WTF happened? I'm stumped! I can only narrow it down to the motor oil. I'm pulling the pan tomorrow.

Doug

Xtreme Performance Services

Race Engines · Transmissions · Turbo Systems · EFI & Tuning · Fabrication · Welding
www.xtremefabrications.com

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Raven457Sep-20-03 08:14 PM
Member since Nov 24th 2002
213 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#59816, "RE: Shit! Switched to Mobil-1 Synthetic and now rod is a-knockin'"
In response to Reply # 0

Jesus Christ, that SUCKS. Hard to believe it's *just* the oil that caused it though, but that that few miles on the rebuild...

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Teamdougie2Sep-20-03 08:20 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2982 posts,
#59817, "RE: Shit! Switched to Mobil-1 Synthetic and now rod is a-knockin'"
In response to Reply # 1
Sep-20-03 08:23 PM by dougie2

Yeah, switching to Synthetic too soon is the only possible reason I can think of. What sucks is I just got the car registered for street-driving and NEED to drive it on Monday. I guess I'll pull the pan, check things out, and replace all 4 sets of rod bearings. Hopefully I can get a set on a SUNDAY!

Here's what synlubes.com says about it:

"We prefer to wait at least 1,500 miles before switching over a new engine to synthetic lubricants. The seating of rings and wear in of other engine parts usually occurs within the first 500 miles and should definitely have been accomplished by 1,500 miles on today's new engines. Under 1,500 miles you should follow the manufacturer's recommendation for drain intervals and break procedures. Furthermore, waiting to at least 1,500 miles gives you the opportunity to assess the mechanical soundness of the engine and the opportunity to report any unusual conditions that may indicate a latent mechanical defect in your new engine. If there is any question about the mechanical soundness of your new engine do not install any synthetic lubricants. "

Doug

Race Engines · Transmissions · Turbo Systems · EFI & Tuning · Fabrication · Welding

Teamdougie2Sep-20-03 08:28 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2982 posts,
#59818, "RE: Shit! Switched to Mobil-1 Synthetic and now rod is a-knockin'"
In response to Reply # 2

I just remembered I was right at 1000 miles on the re-built engine. I dropped the oil pan and the engine was left with no oil for about 7 days while I performed upgrades to the car's exhaust. That's when I added the Mobil-1 Syn. 15w-50. Again, 50 miles later the rod started knocking... I immediately shut it down. I hope I can just replace the bearing and not pull/reuild the engine again. I do have a backup block though. *sigh*

It's all part of the sport, though... ya gotta pay to play.

Doug

Raven457Sep-20-03 09:06 PM
Member since Nov 24th 2002
213 posts,
#59819, "RE: Shit! Switched to Mobil-1 Synthetic and now rod is a-knockin'"
In response to Reply # 3
Sep-20-03 09:13 PM by Raven457

Yeah, time to swap out the rod bearings, cross your fingers and hope for the best... good luck, man. Double check the oil passages on that journal while you're in there, just in case

Autozone or a store like that will probably be your best bet for parts though, that's gonna suck.

silvreclipsersSep-20-03 10:18 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1756 posts,
#59823, "RE: Shit! Switched to Mobil-1 Synthetic and now rod is a-knockin'"
In response to Reply # 3

damn doug, I love that car, please get more pics

xEclipsE RaceRxSep-21-03 04:05 AM
Member since Jan 09th 2002
2982 posts,
#59826, "RE: Shit! Switched to Mobil-1 Synthetic and now rod is a-knockin'"
In response to Reply # 5
Sep-21-03 04:07 AM by xEclipsE RaceRx

Ouch Doug! That sucks, same problem as me, just not to my extent, be happy why did you want to change to full synthetic anyways?

PS: If you need an xtra hand, cuz Matt aint there or something, I'll drop by. (lol couldnt do much, but grab ya a coke or something tho)

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 10th Anniversary OZ Edition
Check Out My Site For Pix
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/EclipseRaceR/MyEclipse/VIS%20CF%20Hood/

Teamdougie2Sep-21-03 07:53 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2982 posts,
#59832, "RE: Shit! Switched to Mobil-1 Synthetic and now rod is a-knockin'"
In response to Reply # 6

Yeah man... comeon over if ya want... I'll be in the garage... headed out there right now. later

Doug

MotoFoolSep-21-03 10:00 AM
Member since Sep 08th 2002
2103 posts,
#59835, "RE: Shit! Switched to Mobil-1 Synthetic and now rod is a-knockin'"
In response to Reply # 7

i wouldn't recomend changing to synthetic that soon id wait longer but thats me...

there are a couple things taht i can think of as the cause

1 draining all the oil for aweek probably left the pickup tube dry and maybe the oil pump lost its prime, that would shoot air into the oil system...

theory two the oil at 15w was too thick and couldn't provide enough lubricating properties for the stock oil celarances...

theory 3 oil pump hickuped..

Bill

You can have it cheap, fast or good. Pick any two.

If you want it cheap and fast, it's not going to be good.
If you want it cheap and good, it's not going to be fast.
If you want it good and fast, it's not going to be cheap.

Teamdougie2Sep-21-03 10:24 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2982 posts,
#59838, "Rod cap now off, bearing diagnosis...."
In response to Reply # 8

Well, contrary to my guess, it was rod #1 causing the knock. The bolts came out of that rod cap a little tighter than the others and the oil on the bolts was gray from bearing material. Pulled off the cap and the bearing has significant wear on one side only, approx. 1/2" wide. I'm still stumped on the cause... I still think it was related to the motor oil. I'm going to replace these Clevite 77 bearings with Mopar bearings and check the clearences. I'll get pics up ASAP.

Doug

MotoFoolSep-21-03 11:24 AM
Member since Sep 08th 2002
2103 posts,
#59842, "RE: Rod cap now off, bearing diagnosis...."
In response to Reply # 9

what were your clearances on the bearings?

Bill

did u use plastiguage to check?

You can have it cheap, fast or good. Pick any two.

If you want it cheap and fast, it's not going to be good.
If you want it cheap and good, it's not going to be fast.
If you want it good and fast, it's not going to be cheap.

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #59815 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Previous topic | Next topic