Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #58947
View in linear mode

Subject: "Ok, I got the crankscraper right, but...." Previous topic | Next topic
1TuffRSSep-10-03 04:00 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2338 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#58947, "Ok, I got the crankscraper right, but...."

The damn people wrapped it up in two priorty mail bags and their is adhesive all over it. I dont want to try something out and screw it up before I get a chance to use it, so I'm wondering what is the best way to get this crap off. Also it didnt include any directions, but I did a search and it all seems pretty straight forward and I also found this http://www.crank-scrapers.com/install.html, but where do I get the RTV gasket material from. Ive never seen it before.

Toney
'97 RS 5 Speed (totaled)
15.4606@88.42 Mph
96 Toyota Celica GT
88 Toyota Supra NA-T (w/ sports package)
Got Boost?? Hell yeah I-6 turbo powah baby!

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Ok, I got the crankscraper right, but...., jerseystyle1, Sep-10-03 04:27 PM, #1
RE: Ok, I got the crankscraper right, but...., TalonSpeed, Sep-10-03 05:30 PM, #2
      RE: Ok, I got the crankscraper right, but...., 1TuffRS, Sep-10-03 06:21 PM, #3
           RE: Ok, I got the crankscraper right, but...., TeamMichael_97RS, Sep-11-03 03:48 AM, #4
                RE: Ok, I got the crankscraper right, but...., 1TuffRS, Sep-11-03 04:33 AM, #5
                     RE: Ok, I got the crankscraper right, but...., mkerley, Sep-11-03 07:07 AM, #6
                     RE: Ok, I got the crankscraper right, but...., jsupetran, Sep-11-03 07:07 AM, #7
                          RE: Ok, I got the crankscraper right, but...., cota472, Sep-11-03 07:53 AM, #8
                               RE: Ok, I got the crankscraper right, but...., turbo8u, Sep-11-03 08:06 AM, #9
                                    RE: Ok, I got the crankscraper right, but...., TalonSpeed, Sep-11-03 08:57 AM, #10
                                    RE: Ok, I got the crankscraper right, but...., TeamMichael_97RS, Sep-11-03 09:10 AM, #11
                                         RE: Ok, I got the crankscraper right, but...., thedawg, Sep-11-03 10:47 AM, #12
                                              RE: Ok, I got the crankscraper right, but...., turbo8u, Sep-12-03 11:42 AM, #13
                                                   RE: Ok, I got the crankscraper right, but...., Uberingram, Sep-12-03 01:03 PM, #14
                                                        RE: Ok, I got the crankscraper right, but...., turbo8u, Sep-12-03 01:05 PM, #15
                                                             RE: Ok, I got the crankscraper right, but...., Uberingram, Sep-12-03 01:07 PM, #16
                                                                  RE: Ok, I got the crankscraper right, but...., turbo8u, Sep-12-03 01:10 PM, #17
                                                                       RE: Ok, I got the crankscraper right, but...., lickscissors, Sep-14-03 04:49 AM, #18

jerseystyle1Sep-10-03 04:27 PM
Member since May 20th 2003
3135 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#58949, "RE: Ok, I got the crankscraper right, but...."
In response to Reply # 0

>what is the best way to get this crap off?

Goo Gone

>where do I get the RTV gasket material from?

Any auto parts store. Pepboys..Autozone....Advance....Napa..

Allan
2008 Magnetic Black 350z NISMO /1976 Austin Mini 1098 Special (export)

Member# 1980

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

TalonSpeedSep-10-03 05:30 PM
Member since Oct 15th 2002
446 posts,
#58954, "RE: Ok, I got the crankscraper right, but...."
In response to Reply # 1

Toney i told u i have a big tube of that stuff from the dealership. I think i still got it

1TuffRSSep-10-03 06:21 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2338 posts,
#58957, "RE: Ok, I got the crankscraper right, but...."
In response to Reply # 2

oh yeah, I forgot about that. Can you bring it to work tomorrow?

Toney
'97 RS 5 Speed (totaled)
15.4606@88.42 Mph
96 Toyota Celica GT

TeamMichael_97RSSep-11-03 03:48 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5866 posts,
#58970, "RE: Ok, I got the crankscraper right, but...."
In response to Reply # 3

Wow, I thought every car guy new of RTV... I know guys who don't use gaskets, just RTV. You can get it at any parts store.

I actualy used Gun Scrub to take the adhesive off mine (it was in my room, where I opened the package). Worked great, I was a little surprised.

15.9 @ 86.7mph

Smooth idle? We don't need no stinking smooth idle.

Mods List:
http://highlander.dsmpower.com/sig.htm

1TuffRSSep-11-03 04:33 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2338 posts,
#58973, "RE: Ok, I got the crankscraper right, but...."
In response to Reply # 4

well Ive never had to use it before, Ive always just used gaskets. I think I will try the goo gone, and if that doesnt work Ill look for that gun scrub stuff. Thanks guys

Toney
'97 RS 5 Speed (totaled)
15.4606@88.42 Mph
96 Toyota Celica GT

mkerleySep-11-03 07:07 AM
Old School 2GNTer
944 posts,
#58982, "RE: Ok, I got the crankscraper right, but...."
In response to Reply # 5

alcohol or wd40 should work as well.

99GS MT | Star Stage 2 | GC coilovers | HurriganeGS tie bars | Tokico Illuminas | 17x7 Enkei RS5 | Baer track brakes |+

jsupetranSep-11-03 07:07 AM
Member since May 04th 2002
4359 posts,
#58983, "RE: Ok, I got the crankscraper right, but...."
In response to Reply # 5

i am using an rtv sealer to seal my oil pan-works wonders.

during my turbo install i screwed up the oil return line so instead of getting a nice whole, it turned more into a "6" hole. i put the rtv stuff on the oil return line and works well. no leaks. i'm sold on the product.

-------jezreel
hrc stage 1, sfmu, ml, prokits, egt, boost gauge, apexi tt, costum dp, dynotune fp gauge. gst muff, turbo spoiler

cota472Sep-11-03 07:53 AM
Donating 2GNT member
827 posts,
#58984, "RE: Ok, I got the crankscraper right, but...."
In response to Reply # 7

i used to work for a decal company and the best stuff to remove any adhesive is brake cleaner you just spray it on and the adhesive wipes right off. anything alcohol or petrolium based will work though.

turbo8uSep-11-03 08:06 AM
Member since Jun 15th 2003
10552 posts,
#58986, "RE: Ok, I got the crankscraper right, but...."
In response to Reply # 8

somethin with acetone should take it off

side question.... with a crankscraper, do we still need to use a pan gasket? or does it replace it. im thinkin about buyin one for the hell of it TIA
_________
96 talon esi-t
san clemente, ca

TalonSpeedSep-11-03 08:57 AM
Member since Oct 15th 2002
446 posts,
#58990, "RE: Ok, I got the crankscraper right, but...."
In response to Reply # 9

I got a bottle of goo gone too. And i got some adhesive removal spray stuff. I can get it tonight and bring it to work tomorrow.

TeamMichael_97RSSep-11-03 09:10 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5866 posts,
#58991, "RE: Ok, I got the crankscraper right, but...."
In response to Reply # 9

You don't have to use a gasket, you can go with just RV if you like.

What I did: RTV top side, slide up into place with the clearances I wanted. and loosely bolted the crankscraper to the block. Let that sit while I did other things. Maybe even overnight I don't recall. Then used the factory gasket on the bottom side and bolted the pan up.

This way the RTv was dried and hlp the crankscraper in place for the short time it was unbolted before the pan came up and was installed.

15.9 @ 86.7mph

Smooth idle? We don't need no stinking smooth idle.

Mods List:
http://highlander.dsmpower.com/sig.htm

thedawgSep-11-03 10:47 AM
Donating 2GNT member
6287 posts,
#59003, "RE: Ok, I got the crankscraper right, but...."
In response to Reply # 11

GoofOff is the shizzle too. A little more harsh than goo-gone.

Use it to remove the "Microsoft" Logo from your mouse.

turbo8uSep-12-03 11:42 AM
10552 posts,
#59082, "RE: Ok, I got the crankscraper right, but...."
In response to Reply # 12

yea people fuck shit up becasue they dont know RTV has a cure time of like 24 hours

thanks though im throwin that crackscraper on ASAP
_________
96 talon esi-t
san clemente, ca

Uberingram> I bow down to the Geo

UberingramSep-12-03 01:03 PM
Donating 2GNT member
10001 posts,
#59091, "RE: Ok, I got the crankscraper right, but...."
In response to Reply # 13

The more you use the less likely it will leak

turbo8uSep-12-03 01:05 PM
10552 posts,
#59092, "RE: Ok, I got the crankscraper right, but...."
In response to Reply # 14

>The more you use the less likely it will leak

that statement applies to so many things....on so many levels

_________
96 talon esi-t
san clemente, ca

UberingramSep-12-03 01:07 PM
Donating 2GNT member
10001 posts,
#59095, "RE: Ok, I got the crankscraper right, but...."
In response to Reply # 15

I actually had to RTV my missing link to my intake manifold on my car. Fucking thing was manulfacured with this huge ass gouge coming out of teh hole where the MAP sensor went. In turn the Missing link o-ring wasnt sealing. Fun times, fun times...

turbo8uSep-12-03 01:10 PM
10552 posts,
#59096, "RE: Ok, I got the crankscraper right, but...."
In response to Reply # 16

werd.
_________
96 talon esi-t
san clemente, ca

lickscissorsSep-14-03 04:49 AM
Member since May 07th 2003
1206 posts,
#59187, "RE: Ok, I got the crankscraper right, but...."
In response to Reply # 17

If anyones reading this forum and wants a crankscraper, group buy at gsturbo.com ...half off!! only 4 more people needed...thanks

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #58947 Previous topic | Next topic