Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #570
View in linear mode

Subject: "New owner... have a question..." Previous topic | Next topic
MBWardApr-13-01 04:34 AM
Old School 2GNTer
0 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#570, "New owner... have a question..."

I just bought my '96 RS in December and it is coming up on 60,000 miles. Although the owner's manual says to replace the timing belt at 64K, I'm going to have it done soon since my water pump sounds like it's going.

My question is: Is the 2 liter Non-turbo DOHC an interference or non-interference engine? I definately don't want to have my engine self destruct if the belt goes before I can schedule the repair.

A prompt response to this would be *greatly* appreciated.

-MW

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: New owner... have a question..., klipzracer, Apr-13-01 04:47 AM, #1
RE: New owner... have a question..., madregal, Apr-13-01 05:38 AM, #4
RE: New owner... have a question..., TeamMichael_97RS, Apr-13-01 04:51 AM, #2
RE: New owner... have a question..., turbomex1, Apr-13-01 05:00 AM, #3
RE: New owner... have a question..., cyan, Apr-13-01 06:55 AM, #5
      RE: New owner... have a question..., DAVE_FL (Guest), Apr-13-01 01:26 PM, #6
RE: Thanks to all..., MBWard, Apr-20-01 03:39 AM, #7
RE: Thanks to all..., domr, Apr-20-01 03:45 AM, #8
RE: Thanks to all..., TeamMichael_97RS, Apr-20-01 05:33 AM, #9

klipzracerApr-13-01 04:47 AM
Old School 2GNTer
4006 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#571, "RE: New owner... have a question..."
In response to Reply # 0

interference....doesn't that have something to do with football?? well i don't know what you mean by that but you should get that belt replaced soon. i'm getting mine replaced soon along with the head gasket at the same time. BTW what does a water pump sound like when it's going????

Chris
Project RS
http://klipzracer.homestead.com/index.html
"Now wobble, wobble........and drop it like it's hot."
chrisdishmon@hotmail.com

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

madregalApr-13-01 05:38 AM
Old School 2GNTer
398 posts,
#572, "RE: New owner... have a question..."
In response to Reply # 1

water pumps click just b4 they go.

'98 GS AT
Magenta Gray Pearl
AEM Short Stack
Bored throttle body
Bored Intake
GS-T Exhaust
NGK Plugs and Wires
AFX underdrive pulley
Clear Side Marker Lites
Nokya Hyper whites bulbs
PIAA Fogs

'98 GS AT.Magenta Gray Pearl.Accel Spark Plug Wires.NGK Plugs.AEM Short Stack.GS-T Exhaust.AFX Underdrive pulley.RRE Front Lower Bar.Tenzo Rear Upper Bar.Tenzo Rear Lower Bar.Tenzo Front Upper Bar.Energy Suspension Bushings.Energy Suspension Motor Mounts.

TeamMichael_97RSApr-13-01 04:51 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5866 posts,
#573, "RE: New owner... have a question..."
In response to Reply # 0

Unfortunately ours is an interference engine.

What this means klipzracer is that there isn't clearance for the valves to move out of time without the pistons hitting them. So if the timign belts snaps you bend valves and score the top of the pistons. Jusat ask a couple on the board Eclipse804 I believe just got this fixed.

"To strive to seek to find... and not to yield."
Michael J. Kulaga
Michael_97RS@2gntDSM.zzn.com
aol IM: MJKulga
http://highlander.dsmpower.com/

Firefly:
Mal: You don't know me, son, so let me put this to you plainly: If I ever kill you, you'll be awake. You'll be facing me. And you'll be armed.

turbomex1Apr-13-01 05:00 AM
Old School 2GNTer
44 posts,
#574, "RE: New owner... have a question..."
In response to Reply # 0

DarkEclipseRS the best thing to do is buy a chiltons manual for around $25.00 to answer you Q's but i belive it is the interfference one as is all 2.0's and 2.4l so the belt must be replaced @60000 miles according to the book.either ways its reccomended! peace out

cyanApr-13-01 06:55 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2958 posts,
#575, "RE: New owner... have a question..."
In response to Reply # 3

yep, its an interference engine - i found this out the hard way. i hired a shitty mechanic to change my belt, and when it broke i bent 4 valves. unluckily for me it didnt score the pistons, i coulda gotten JEs.

http://www.geocities.com/blue2gnt

1995 Eclipse GS - HRC Stage 2 - Retired.
2004 350z Enthusiast / 2008 Nissan Versa SL

DAVE_FL (Guest)Apr-13-01 01:26 PM

#576, "RE: New owner... have a question..."
In response to Reply # 5

I used to have a 92 eagle talon and the timing belt broke on it. Believe me you dont want this to happen. It costs a lot to get fixed. Be safe and change those timing belts people!!!

DAVE_FL
97GS
AEM CAI
AFX PULLEY
AFX solid motor mount
Magnaflow exhaust
Sparkco 9mm wires
Eibach Pro Kit
tokico shocks
Altezzas
A Badass sound system
Indiglows,neons,and all that good stuff...hehe

MBWardApr-20-01 03:39 AM
Old School 2GNTer
0 posts,
#577, "RE: Thanks to all..."
In response to Reply # 0

Thanks to all who responded... it's going in soon for service, with 60,126 on the clock as I sit here.

klipracer... When my water pump makes noise, it's a highly unpleasant squeak/whine... sounds almost like metal on metal. It's only an occasional problem, but when it does, the vultures sweep in to try to race the injured prey.

Turbomex... I've tried several stores (though not online) and haven't seen any chilton's manual (or Haynes, for that matter) yet. Oh, and my service manual says 64K miles for the timing belt. I figure it's better to be safe than sorry, as evidenced by Cyan/Dave_Fl

Anyways, thanks again for all your responses, and I gotta say *nice cars!!!* Mine's pracically bone stock (only have poseur blue-look headlights right now) but with many mods in the near future. Pics to come, but I'm looking at H&R sport coilovers, 18" O.Z. anthracite finish rims (on my black '96), GReddy or similar exhaust, APC intake, upgrade to '97+ headlights w/aftermarket front fascia, etc... I could go on and on naming what I'm going to do, but I figure you all aren't interested in my pipe dreams.

domrApr-20-01 03:45 AM
Old School 2GNTer
107 posts,
#578, "RE: Thanks to all..."
In response to Reply # 7

Hey, I got my manual from www.jcwhitney.com . I think it was around 20 bucks.

Dom

TeamMichael_97RSApr-20-01 05:33 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5866 posts,
#579, "RE: Thanks to all..."
In response to Reply # 7

I ordered my haynes maual from http://amazon.com

"To strive to seek to find... and not to yield."
Michael J. Kulaga
Michael_97RS@2gntDSM.zzn.com
aol IM: MJKulga
http://highlander.dsmpower.com/

Firefly:
Mal: You don't know me, son, so let me put this to you plainly: If I ever kill you, you'll be awake. You'll be facing me. And you'll be armed.

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #570 Previous topic | Next topic