Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #424
View in linear mode

Subject: "Disc...slotted or crossdrilled?" Previous topic | Next topic
2GXTASYApr-10-01 01:02 AM
Old School 2GNTer
84 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#424, "Disc...slotted or crossdrilled?"

My disc are on a downward spiral. I was thinking of replacing them with either slotted or crossdrilled ones when I put my 18's on next week. Which is better to go with?

Oh one other question. What have you guys done with your rear drums? I don't really wanta do a conversion. I just wanta clean them up a little. They are cast iorn right? They are rusted and are gonna look pretty fucking ugly with those 18's. Any suggestions?

2GXTASY
-99 Mitsushi RS
-Northstar White

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Disc...slotted or crossdrilled?, ModeratorVX100, Apr-10-01 01:15 AM, #1
RE: Disc...slotted or crossdrilled?, 2GXTASY, Apr-10-01 01:21 AM, #2
      RE: Disc...slotted or crossdrilled?, TeamMichael_97RS, Apr-10-01 01:41 AM, #3
           RE: Disc...slotted or crossdrilled?, 97ESi, Apr-10-01 03:30 AM, #4
                RE: Disc...slotted or crossdrilled?, Talon, Apr-10-01 04:55 AM, #5
                     RE: Disc...slotted or crossdrilled?, 2GXTASY, Apr-11-01 12:17 AM, #6
                          RE: Disc...slotted or crossdrilled?, klipzracer, Apr-11-01 01:30 AM, #7
                               RE: Disc...slotted or crossdrilled?, GTAGRIP, Apr-11-01 02:07 AM, #8
                                    RE: Disc...slotted or crossdrilled?, TeamMichael_97RS, Apr-11-01 03:30 AM, #9
                                         RE: Disc...slotted or crossdrilled?, GTAGRIP, Apr-11-01 03:39 AM, #10
                                              RE: Disc...slotted or crossdrilled?, 2GXTASY, Apr-11-01 05:18 AM, #11
                                                   RE: Disc...slotted or crossdrilled?, TeamMichael_97RS, Apr-11-01 06:34 AM, #12
                                                        RE: Disc...slotted or crossdrilled?, Irfan, Apr-11-01 06:52 AM, #13
                                                             RE: Disc...slotted or crossdrilled?, HadesOmega, Apr-11-01 07:16 AM, #14
                                                             RE: Disc...slotted or crossdrilled?, 2GXTASY, Apr-11-01 01:02 PM, #15
                                                                  RE: Disc...slotted or crossdrilled?, klipzracer, Apr-12-01 12:00 AM, #16
                                                             RE: Disc...slotted or crossdrilled?, GTAGRIP, Apr-12-01 05:31 PM, #23
RE: Disc...slotted or crossdrilled?, RS_Guy, Apr-12-01 12:35 AM, #17
RE: Disc...slotted or crossdrilled?, 2GXTASY, Apr-12-01 02:37 AM, #18
      RE: Disc...slotted or crossdrilled?, TeamMichael_97RS, Apr-12-01 06:24 AM, #19
      RE: Disc...slotted or crossdrilled?, TeamMichael_97RS, Apr-12-01 06:24 AM, #20
           RE: Disc...slotted or crossdrilled?, TeamMichael_97RS, Apr-12-01 06:25 AM, #21
                RE: Disc...slotted or crossdrilled?, 2GXTASY, Apr-12-01 01:55 PM, #22
                     Rustoleum........, klipzracer, Apr-13-01 12:34 AM, #24
                          RE: Rustoleum........, 2GXTASY, Apr-13-01 12:36 AM, #25
                          RE: Rustoleum........, TeamMichael_97RS, Apr-13-01 12:59 AM, #26
                               RE: Rustoleum........, klipzracer, Apr-13-01 01:04 AM, #27
                                    RE: Rustoleum........, TeamMichael_97RS, Apr-13-01 03:59 AM, #28
                                         RE: Rustoleum........, 2GXTASY, Apr-13-01 05:22 AM, #29
                                              Cross drilled and slotted, HadesOmega, Apr-13-01 08:19 PM, #30
                                                   RE: Cross drilled and slotted, TeamMichael_97RS, Apr-14-01 01:04 AM, #31

ModeratorVX100Apr-10-01 01:15 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2831 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#425, "RE: Disc...slotted or crossdrilled?"
In response to Reply # 0

Well, I got slotted rotors, they will help bite into the pads a bit better for better stopping, but also they will wear down the pads faster, but who cares if you want to stop better you can't have 50K mile brake pads. (the mushier the pads the better they work, look at any german car the front rims are covered with an inch of crap because they put mushy pads which put out tons of brake dust and don't last as long, but they stop the car alot better)

Also I have HEARD of (but not seen) problems with cross drilled rotors cracking, but my friend has cross drilled with no problems so I guess it's only if you really push them.

And I'd do nothing about the rear drums, the fronts are what count, don't worry about the rear brakes other than making sure they work properly. Also rear drum shoes last alot longer, my front pads had 50% wear, the rear shoes had about 10% wear and amazingly all the springs looked brand new, no rust at all.

Todd Scungio
98 RS
15.803 @ 86.48 MPH

"Tutto fa brodo."

Todd Scungio
98 RS
15.173 @ 90.70 MPH

And also a 2011 Ralliart

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

2GXTASYApr-10-01 01:21 AM
Old School 2GNTer
84 posts,
#426, "RE: Disc...slotted or crossdrilled?"
In response to Reply # 1

Yeah I figured those slotted would wear the pads faster. I have also heard several stories of hariline cracks on the crossdrilled. I'm not planning to do anything performance wise to the rear drums. I really like them in that aspect. Can I sand them down a bit and get that rust of them?

2GXTASY
-99 Mitsushi RS
-Northstar White

TeamMichael_97RSApr-10-01 01:41 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5866 posts,
#427, "RE: Disc...slotted or crossdrilled?"
In response to Reply # 2

I think the problems with cross drilled rotors depend on how they are made. Most companies cast the rotor and then just drill through it. Somebody(I don't remember who) cast the holes into when it s being formed and hardened. Which is much stronger. Eventually when I have a lot more money than I do now, I'm going to get the Baer big brake kit and have crossdrilled and slotted rotors... but don't hold your breath for me on this one. But a safe bet is to get the slotted rotors, and some good pads.

For the rear drums. Paint them silver. I had problems with my wheels oxidizing to the rotors and drums. So I put antisieze on the drum and got a liitle bit smeared, aso I would up basically covering the drum with antisieze(silver). I've had compliments that the silver makes the drums look better. So take a wire brush and sand down outside of the drum and paint them with a high temp paint and you'll look a lot better under the wheels and stop the rust. This is what I was going to do until I got the conversion parts.

"To strive to seek to find... and not to yield."
Michael J. Kulaga
Michael_97RS@2gntDSM.zzn.com
aol IM: MJKulga
http://highlander.dsmpower.com/

Firefly:
Mal: You don't know me, son, so let me put this to you plainly: If I ever kill you, you'll be awake. You'll be facing me. And you'll be armed.

97ESiApr-10-01 03:30 AM
Old School 2GNTer
227 posts,
#428, "RE: Disc...slotted or crossdrilled?"
In response to Reply # 3

what conversion parts and from where?

IM name = Chookeat (weekdays 8-5est)

97 ESi
mods: pine air freshener (50hp in woods), new wiper blades (buahahaha!), afx udp, ractive stb, powerslot w/mm pads (f), 3 pirelli p7000 supersports and 1 uniroyal tigerpaw (flat-tire).

----

Have camera, will travel!

TalonApr-10-01 04:55 AM
Old School 2GNTer
258 posts,
#429, "RE: Disc...slotted or crossdrilled?"
In response to Reply # 4

at http://www.allmitsubishi.com and he will ship you a complete kit for $250. Use the 1-800 number on the site.

talk to dan gill

THANKS TO DEANOD!!!!!

Talon
97'Talon Esi
Smokin' Honduh's All Day Long!

2GXTASYApr-11-01 12:17 AM
Old School 2GNTer
84 posts,
#430, "RE: Disc...slotted or crossdrilled?"
In response to Reply # 5

Went ahead and ordered some slotted rotors today. But I think I'm gonna try the crossdrilled ones this summer to see how they hold up. And thanks for the advice on the drums. I think i'll give that high tempered paint a shot. Thanks for the help guys.

2GXTASY
-99 Mitsushi RS
-Northstar White

klipzracerApr-11-01 01:30 AM
Old School 2GNTer
4006 posts,
#431, "RE: Disc...slotted or crossdrilled?"
In response to Reply # 6

i've had crossdrilled for about 5 months with no problems of warping or cracking. i got the Powerstops

Chris
Project RS
http://klipzracer.homestead.com/index.html
"Now wobble, wobble........and drop it like it's hot."
chrisdishmon@hotmail.com

GTAGRIPApr-11-01 02:07 AM
Old School 2GNTer
369 posts,
#432, "RE: Disc...slotted or crossdrilled?"
In response to Reply # 7

I got the crossdrilled too and they are doing great! I have had them since Christmas w/ no probs.

Jimmy Kost
1999 Eclipse RS (White)
Overland Park KS
gtagrp1@earthlink.net

DSM Registry Profiles:
http://www.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=1410 (Eclipse)
http://www.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=1411 (Talon)

TeamMichael_97RSApr-11-01 03:30 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5866 posts,
#433, "RE: Disc...slotted or crossdrilled?"
In response to Reply # 8

Where did you guys get them from? What price? When I do the conversion I want to replace all the way around with cross-drilled and some good pads. What pads are you guys running too? I've been leaning towards EBC's.
Thanks

Michael J. Kulaga

Firefly:
Mal: You don't know me, son, so let me put this to you plainly: If I ever kill you, you'll be awake. You'll be facing me. And you'll be armed.

GTAGRIPApr-11-01 03:39 AM
Old School 2GNTer
369 posts,
#434, "RE: Disc...slotted or crossdrilled?"
In response to Reply # 9

I am running the EBC Greenstuff. I'm not sure where the rotors are from but they are the powerstop.(they were a present thats why I don't know where they are from) I think the rotors are about 49-55 ea. and the pads were about 50. Hope this helps.

Jimmy Kost
1999 Eclipse RS (White)
Overland Park KS
gtagrp1@earthlink.net

DSM Registry Profiles:

2GXTASYApr-11-01 05:18 AM
Old School 2GNTer
84 posts,
#435, "RE: Disc...slotted or crossdrilled?"
In response to Reply # 10

Yeah modacar is selling Power Stop Crossdrilled for $200 for the front. Think I'll give these a shot this summer.

Oh yeah I ordered Power Slot slotted rotors from modacar. These are the same as Power Stop aren't they?

2GXTASY
-99 Mitsushi RS
-Northstar White

TeamMichael_97RSApr-11-01 06:34 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5866 posts,
#436, "RE: Disc...slotted or crossdrilled?"
In response to Reply # 11

No...

Powerslot are slotted rotors.

Powerstop are cross-drilled.

Michael J. Kulaga

Firefly:

IrfanApr-11-01 06:52 AM
Old School 2GNTer
566 posts,
#437, "RE: Disc...slotted or crossdrilled?"
In response to Reply # 12

Were the EBCs for 50 each, or for the front set? if its for the front set, where did you get them from? can you give me the phone number for them?

2GNT Member #76, since Fall 1999

Drives: 2004 Mazda RX-8
Drove: 1999 Saab 9-5 SE
1999 Eclipse GS Hahn Stage 1

HadesOmegaApr-11-01 07:16 AM
Old School 2GNTer
4529 posts,
#438, "RE: Disc...slotted or crossdrilled?"
In response to Reply # 13

What about crossdrilled and slotted rotors? How can you cracken, driving in the rain or car washes after freeway driving?

95 Mitsu Eclipse RS
AFX Pulley | Performance Muffler | Cold Air Intake | KYB AGX Shox | Skunk2 Coilovers | and 1 highly skilled driver |

http://www.hadesomega.info -car specz and movies 95 Eclipse RS | 76' 280Z | 89' MR2 | 99 Neon | 91 Zephyr
Who sez FF can't drift?

2GXTASYApr-11-01 01:02 PM
Old School 2GNTer
84 posts,
#439, "RE: Disc...slotted or crossdrilled?"
In response to Reply # 14

LAST EDITED ON 11-Apr-01 AT 06:02 PM (PST)

Michael_97RS,

Guess I should have clarified . Are they manufactured by the same company?

2GXTASY
-99 Mitsushi RS
-Northstar White

klipzracerApr-12-01 12:00 AM
Old School 2GNTer
4006 posts,
#440, "RE: Disc...slotted or crossdrilled?"
In response to Reply # 15

i believe so.

Chris
Project RS
chrisdishmon@hotmail.com

GTAGRIPApr-12-01 05:31 PM
Old School 2GNTer
369 posts,
#441, "RE: Disc...slotted or crossdrilled?"
In response to Reply # 13

It was like $57 - $65 (somewhere in that range) for the front set. I got them at a local store called KC Trends (in KC, go figure) and I don't know if they will ship them to you but if you still want the number I can get it for you. Let me know.

Jimmy Kost
1999 Eclipse RS (White)
Overland Park KS
gtagrp1@earthlink.net

DSM Registry Profiles:

RS_GuyApr-12-01 12:35 AM
Old School 2GNTer
484 posts,
#442, "RE: Disc...slotted or crossdrilled?"
In response to Reply # 0

All that I can add at this point is that, don't paint your drums silver on 18"s.... I have 17" SSR Integrals and the silver drums on my car (in my opinion) look stupid. They stand out too much. I think that black would have been a better choice. Also High temp paint makes no difference (over regular paint), but it might last longer. If you are looking for a custom color mix, then paint a coupla coats high temp paint and then paint over it the color you want.

Guy
RS_Guy

I might actually be *driving* my car soon!
Its only been 6 LONG months...

Damn the waiting..... It Sucks!

-----
www.GTuned.com

2GXTASYApr-12-01 02:37 AM
Old School 2GNTer
84 posts,
#443, "RE: Disc...slotted or crossdrilled?"
In response to Reply # 17

What color are the drums when you sand them down and take all the rust off them?

2GXTASY
-99 Mitsushi RS
-Northstar White

TeamMichael_97RSApr-12-01 06:24 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5866 posts,
#444, "RE: Disc...slotted or crossdrilled?"
In response to Reply # 18

Just a bare metal look silver/grey.

Which I would think would be a good color to paint. Not gloss but a flat grey or silver. Probably look better in a silver. Or if you go Black I would go gloss black.

Michael J. Kulaga

Firefly:

TeamMichael_97RSApr-12-01 06:24 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5866 posts,
#445, "RE: Disc...slotted or crossdrilled?"
In response to Reply # 18

Just a bare metal look silver/grey.

Which I would think would be a good color to paint. Not gloss but a flat grey or silver. Probably look better in a grey. Or if you go Black I would go gloss black.

Michael J. Kulaga

Firefly:

TeamMichael_97RSApr-12-01 06:25 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5866 posts,
#446, "RE: Disc...slotted or crossdrilled?"
In response to Reply # 20

Whoops looks like I posted before I corrected. I meant look better in grey.

Michael J. Kulaga

Firefly:

2GXTASYApr-12-01 01:55 PM
Old School 2GNTer
84 posts,
#447, "RE: Disc...slotted or crossdrilled?"
In response to Reply # 21

Is there some type of a high tempered clear coating that can be placed on these to keep them from rusting? For example does Rustolium make just a clear coat spray?

2GXTASY
-99 Mitsushi RS
-Northstar White

klipzracerApr-13-01 12:34 AM
Old School 2GNTer
4006 posts,
#448, "Rustoleum........"
In response to Reply # 22

yeah they should, they make a variety of different rust resistant paints. I gotta repaint my drums cause the $hit just fakes off!!!

Chris
Project RS
chrisdishmon@hotmail.com

2GXTASYApr-13-01 12:36 AM
Old School 2GNTer
84 posts,
#449, "RE: Rustoleum........"
In response to Reply # 24

Yeah I was thinking they might. THink I'll go look around at Autozone during my lunch break. Hey klipz I was checkin out your car in the Racing forum. I can't belive it was the same car! It looks killer!

2GXTASY
-99 Mitsushi RS
-Northstar White

TeamMichael_97RSApr-13-01 12:59 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5866 posts,
#450, "RE: Rustoleum........"
In response to Reply # 24

Check your local parts store I don't remember the brand but they make a ceramic based paint that comes in 500 degree and 1200 degree high temp paint. Either one should withstand the heat created by your brakes and not flake off.

Michael J. Kulaga

Firefly:

klipzracerApr-13-01 01:04 AM
Old School 2GNTer
4006 posts,
#451, "RE: Rustoleum........"
In response to Reply # 26

DAMN if your drum brakes get that hot you got issues!

Chris
Project RS
chrisdishmon@hotmail.com

TeamMichael_97RSApr-13-01 03:59 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5866 posts,
#452, "RE: Rustoleum........"
In response to Reply # 27

Exactly that's why those should hold just fine

Michael J. Kulaga

Firefly:

2GXTASYApr-13-01 05:22 AM
Old School 2GNTer
84 posts,
#453, "RE: Rustoleum........"
In response to Reply # 28

Perfect. I'll let you guys know what I find, how much, and where. Thanks for the help.

2GXTASY
-99 Mitsushi RS
-Northstar White

HadesOmegaApr-13-01 08:19 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4529 posts,
#454, "Cross drilled and slotted"
In response to Reply # 29

Whut about crossdrilled and slotted brakes?

95 Mitsu Eclipse RS
AFX Pulley | Performance Muffler | Cold Air Intake | KYB AGX Shox | Skunk2 Coilovers | and 1 highly skilled driver |

http://www.hadesomega.info -car specz and movies 95 Eclipse RS | 76' 280Z | 89' MR2 | 99 Neon | 91 Zephyr
Who sez FF can't drift?

TeamMichael_97RSApr-14-01 01:04 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5866 posts,
#455, "RE: Cross drilled and slotted"
In response to Reply # 30

The only ones I've seen come with the Baer dual caliper kit I want and am no where near being able to afford right now.

Michael J. Kulaga

Firefly:

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #424 Previous topic | Next topic