Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #370
View in linear mode

Subject: "Cam Gears - also, Marcus pls read" Previous topic | Next topic
ModeratorjuanApr-08-01 08:13 PM
Donating 2GNT member
817 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#370, "Cam Gears - also, Marcus pls read"

LAST EDITED ON 09-Apr-01 AT 01:23 AM (PST)

Since I need to do a timing belt change very soon, it occured to me it may be worthwhile to get cam gears installed. The standard Intake +2 Exhaust -2 settings seem to give a solid 5hp or so gain, which is nice, but I'm curious about any negative effects. Idle? Fuel economy? Stuff like that.

I'm sitting on AEM intake, bored TB, GS-T muffler for power mods right now. Eventually I'll get my ported intake manifold finished and installed. Not looking for drag power here, but figure this is one of those "while you're in there" deals. I also want the car to remain streetable. (I'd rather turn than burn .

Marcus, what were the results from your AEM cam gear problems? I'm very curious as to what JC's analysis was.

juan

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Teameclipse804Apr-08-01 08:27 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5174 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#371, "RE: Cam Gears - also, Marcus pls read"
In response to Reply # 0

Ya go for the cam gears - my car ran noticeably better especially in the high end (i could tell by the 2nd to 3rd gear shift - it pulled harder). I haven't really heard anything from JC, and I guess it was just some sort of freak accident? The bolts didn't just get loose, they completely flew off. I'm still wondering how it happened. But AEM is releasing some new bolts in a couple months which should be better. I'm gonna email JC right now to ask for any update...

eclipse804@hotmail.com
http://importdeals.homestead.com
Import Parts and Performance

2004 WRX - WR Blue Pearl
1997 Eclipse GS - Royal Sapphire Pearl

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

dsm1Apr-09-01 04:30 AM
Old School 2GNTer
388 posts,
#372, "RE: Cam Gears - also, Marcus pls read"
In response to Reply # 1

Since your doing the timing belt install a udp as well if you don't already have. Thats on my list to do when I get ready to change my belt..along with a new water pump.

e-mail: blitzdsm1@aol.com

STAR Turbo stage II
180whp @ 5psi(untuned)

madregalApr-09-01 04:59 AM
Old School 2GNTer
398 posts,
#373, "RE: Cam Gears - also, Marcus pls read"
In response to Reply # 1

will an aem cams do wonders for a 98 gs automatic?

i just had my timing belt replaced while it was in the shop, i had them install the AFX Under Drive Pulley. i also replaced my drop in K&N with an AEM short stack.. it got louder.. think i do feel it more powerful (or maybe the sound makes me think it is )

since mine is an automatic.. i did notice that if i put it on drive and let go of the brake.. the car "cruises" a lot faster than it used to.

i am looking to work on headers next. or maybe suspension...i work in bel air .from the valley, there are lots of winding roads on the way to work. should i get rear bars first or front lower?

'98 GS Automatic
AEM Short Stack
Bored throttle body
Bored Intake
GS-T Exhaust
NGK Plugs and Wires
AFX underdrive pulley

'98 GS AT.Magenta Gray Pearl.Accel Spark Plug Wires.NGK Plugs.AEM Short Stack.GS-T Exhaust.AFX Underdrive pulley.RRE Front Lower Bar.Tenzo Rear Upper Bar.Tenzo Rear Lower Bar.Tenzo Front Upper Bar.Energy Suspension Bushings.Energy Suspension Motor Mounts.

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #370 Previous topic | Next topic