Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #33005
View in threaded mode

Subject: "The LONG AWAITED AFX ECU is available!" 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Previous topic | Next topic
Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneSep-18-02 02:47 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#33005, "The LONG AWAITED AFX ECU is available!"

Call Howell Automotive at 1-800-531-2184!

If Gary doesn't start getting orders for these things, he's going to *stop making them*. After the uphill battle we fought to have these things done, it would be a shame for it all to go away.

Currently 97 models are available. 97 ECUs *might* work in 98 cars, but that has not been confimed. 95s are not available and never will be, and 99's will be available "soon". Currently the ECUs are MTX only.

If you have a spare ECU (96, 98, 99 MTX or ATX) Please contact Howell Automotive and offer it as a core for testing.

c'mon, guys!

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
a_miller_76Sep-19-02 02:49 AM
Donating 2GNT member
9515 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#33056, "RE: The LONG AWAITED AFX ECU is available!"
In response to Reply # 50

I want one, but are they available for the '99? I can't have downtime and I don't have the dinero for one right now so it may be awhile. How long do they forsee the '99 taking?

Also my question was never answered earlier...if the rev limiter is going up to 8200rpm do I need different internals? Like titanium valve train stuff or what?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneSep-19-02 02:57 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#33057, "RE: The LONG AWAITED AFX ECU is available!"
In response to Reply # 51

the PT Cruiser valvetrain is enough. Stock will handle 7800 for a while, but after several months of it (depending on the prior condition of the valvetrain) you may start to break rocker arms. Stock valve springs and retainers won't float the valves until after 9000RPM, if i remember right.

On a side note, i believe that Armond blew his motor this last time because the wideband O2 sensor he tuned with was off, causing him to tune too lean. I did not hear this directly from him, but from an associated party close to him. Take it for what it's worth.

Mike, Brad - Thanx guys. Sometimes i feel like people have me all wrong

'13 Evo X (mostly stock)

m_berrowSep-19-02 02:57 AM
Member since Feb 19th 2002
268 posts,
#33058, "RE: The LONG AWAITED AFX ECU is available!"
In response to Reply # 50

im willing to give up my 99 ecu if its not gonna take months to reprogram. why is everyone whining about it when everyone has been on gary to hurry up and get one out? he did us a favor....if yall dont like it, dont buy it.. thats the bottom line

GS-N pssssst!

GS-N pssssst!

fasterGSSep-19-02 03:01 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3879 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#33059, "RE: The LONG AWAITED AFX ECU is available!"
In response to Reply # 53

I emailed Gary and offered my ECU..... just haven't heard back form him yet.

m_berrowSep-19-02 03:07 AM
268 posts,
#33060, "RE: The LONG AWAITED AFX ECU is available!"
In response to Reply # 54

oh ok....thats cool

GS-N pssssst!

GS-N pssssst!

Kaptain_Mike (Guest)Sep-19-02 03:19 AM

#33061, "RE: The LONG AWAITED AFX ECU is available!"
In response to Reply # 55

I've never really understood the concept of a "core" with any purchase... How does that work?

let's say I don't want downtime, want to keep my old ecu (since i keep 99% of my stock parts) how much would it be then, and is this something that is "plug n play" like good ol' Microhack?

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneSep-19-02 03:26 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#33062, "RE: The LONG AWAITED AFX ECU is available!"
In response to Reply # 56

the core charge is $150. This covers the cost of Howell having to buy another ECU. it would be $390+150 for the core. If you send in the core (your stock ECU) it would be $390 with the core charge waived.

You can pick up stock ECUs for fairly cheap these days. let me know if you're interested, Mike, i can give you some people to talk to..

'13 Evo X (mostly stock)

m_berrowSep-19-02 03:41 AM
268 posts,
#33063, "RE: The LONG AWAITED AFX ECU is available!"
In response to Reply # 57

im interested but faster gs said he's on top of if. he called someone but for whatever reason he doesnt go through with it i will definately send mine.

GS-N pssssst!

GS-N pssssst!

Kaptain_Mike (Guest)Sep-19-02 04:02 AM

#33064, "RE: The LONG AWAITED AFX ECU is available!"
In response to Reply # 58

Hmmm I might take you up on that Dino. Beleive it or not, I'd get that instead of doing any type of exterior crap (ie., skirts, etc)...I like the idea of how my dyno was already 122 whp when Nick's almost stock RS was hitting that and gaining more and more each session in less than 10 minutes. I'd have to hit AT LEAST 140 whp with my mods and that ECU. That's what is making me so interested in this product, Gary & Dino.

tim97rsSep-19-02 05:21 AM
Donating 2GNT member
4255 posts,
#33065, "RE: The LONG AWAITED AFX ECU is available!"
In response to Reply # 59

Okay haters!!! Can we just let this go about Gary and Howell automotive??? we have all had good and bad experiences with businesses at one point or another. IT COMES WITH THE TERRITORY!!!!!!!! i personaly talked to the man about my cams/lash adjuster problems and they weren't even his product. HE was as helpful as he could be given the situation and the shit not even being his. He even wanted me to call him back after i got it figured out just so he could know.

Business is business!!! Some customers will be happy, some will not. His organization is one of ther best that deals with our cars and motors. You know anyone else thats established thats as dedicated to the 2gnt/420a community?

Please feel free to express your opinions and move on. If the post dosen't apply to you or isn't about your problem specificly, please don't flame. I think by and large there are MANY more people on this board that are HAPPY with howell than not.
just my $.02

USED TO HAVE...Everything you wish you had, and then some...

You are somebody special Tim, you matter! - from the admins (but nobody likes you, because your username is just like that other guy's, and you whine a lot)

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #33005 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Previous topic | Next topic