Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #295
View in linear mode

Subject: "head gasket.." Previous topic | Next topic
klipzracerApr-07-01 05:38 AM
Old School 2GNTer
4006 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#295, "head gasket.."

anyone know a URL or where I can get detailed instructions for changing the headgasket? I'm gonna do this myself. it shouldn't be too hard right?? anyone here changed their themselves??

Chris
Project RS
http://klipzracer.homestead.com/index.html
"Now wobble, wobble........and drop it like it's hot."
chrisdishmon@hotmail.com

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: head gasket.., MWC, Apr-07-01 07:46 AM, #1
this is not for the timid..., Skrilla, Apr-07-01 10:43 AM, #2
RE: this is not for the timid..., bustrblue1, Apr-08-01 04:26 AM, #3
      RE: this is not for the timid..., klipzracer, Apr-08-01 04:49 AM, #4
           RE: this is not for the timid..., nt dsm, Apr-08-01 06:36 AM, #5
                RE: this is not for the timid..., 95ESi, Apr-08-01 08:07 AM, #6
                     RE: this is not for the timid..., bustrblue1, Apr-08-01 02:19 PM, #7
                          RE: this is not for the timid..., Teameclipse804, Apr-08-01 03:45 PM, #8
                          you don't have an import..., Skrilla, Apr-08-01 04:59 PM, #9
                               RE: you don't have an import..., klipzracer, Apr-09-01 12:36 PM, #10
                                    RE: you don't have an import..., bustrblue1, Apr-09-01 01:01 PM, #11
                                    yep good deal..., Skrilla, Apr-09-01 02:28 PM, #12
                                         RE: yep good deal..., bustrblue1, Apr-09-01 03:08 PM, #13

MWCApr-07-01 07:46 AM
Old School 2GNTer
251 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#296, "RE: head gasket.."
In response to Reply # 0

I did it, and the hardest part of it was the Underdrive pulley.
I ended up paying a shop to remove it and put the timing belt on, but since it is like a timing belt change they charged me $300. That hurt, but I rented the special puller from Mitsubishi and the damn thing still would not budge. I know there are others on the board that did this and had no problem, so its prob just me and my luck.
As far as directions I would suggest you buying a haynes manual if not the factory one from the dealer. Good Luck
SEE YA!!!!!!!!!!MWC

http://smkn95eclipsemwc.homestead.com/mainpage.html

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

SkrillaApr-07-01 10:43 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1868 posts,
#297, "this is not for the timid..."
In response to Reply # 0

...changing your headgasket requires disassembling your cylinder head. The head bolts are under the Camshafts. The UDP doesn't have to be removed but if you want to change it. I HIGHLY recommend the Craftsman 3 arm 5ton pulley. They are very strong and with it the pulley will come off without too much drama. It will take a couple days AT LEAST when doing the gasket yourself for the first time even up to a week. While you're at it you will have to change all your gaskets, so get the upper engine gasket kit or complete head gasket kit from Mitsubishi. The spark plug oil seals are b!tch to have to redo. So make sure when reinstalling the head to make sure these are seated properly. Anyway you can do it but make sure you have your 1st Mod: The Factory Repair Manual!

Skrilla
'97 Base Talon NA
"Technology: The Only Replacement for Displacement"
"Peace and Turbo Grease"

*Skrilla
"Honest officer, I thought you were trying to race me"
Talon: 1st 2.4L
'97 Prelude
'04 350Z

Originally posted by YourInMyMirror95GS
dick teaser's should be rounded up and shot in the forehead
Originally posted by etx
Good luck man! Project 'STFU Brian your talon is dead meat' should be on it's feet soon!
Originally posted by Dark0ne
Thanks. Now excuse me while i fuck your sister.
"fuck all motor" -turbo ate you

bustrblue1Apr-08-01 04:26 AM
Old School 2GNTer
340 posts,
#298, "RE: this is not for the timid..."
In response to Reply # 2

does anyone want to make some money and come an do it for me? i'll pay you good!!!!! i'm in SC. someone please help. my car won't start!! god this sucks

Matt

klipzracerApr-08-01 04:49 AM
Old School 2GNTer
4006 posts,
#299, "RE: this is not for the timid..."
In response to Reply # 3

f@#kin a!!! i'm gonna just pay someone else to do it. i home i can get it done for under 400 dollas.

Chris
Project RS
chrisdishmon@hotmail.com

nt dsmApr-08-01 06:36 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3 posts,
#300, "RE: this is not for the timid..."
In response to Reply # 4

How much would it cost to get this done at the dealer or any other repair shop? I think that I am having the same problem.

95ESiApr-08-01 08:07 AM
Old School 2GNTer
842 posts,
#301, "RE: this is not for the timid..."
In response to Reply # 5

I asked the dealer and I saw them look it up in the "book of labour difficulty" ratings and chaing the head gasket came to a ~7.4. Since I'm in Canada, that would cost me about $700 CDN...

l e o n

bustrblue1Apr-08-01 02:19 PM
Old School 2GNTer
340 posts,
#302, "RE: this is not for the timid..."
In response to Reply # 6

my dealer told me $888. not going to pay that. so i'm just going to have to find another shop to do it. and thats kind of hard, the last shop i went to said they won't even touch an import! that really dissapointed me.

Matt

Teameclipse804Apr-08-01 03:45 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5174 posts,
#303, "RE: this is not for the timid..."
In response to Reply # 7

Labor should not be THAT high. It should be around 500 to take off the head. Does taking off the head require taking off the timing belt etc too? I believe so...

eclipse804@hotmail.com
http://importdeals.homestead.com
Import Parts and Performance

2004 WRX - WR Blue Pearl
1997 Eclipse GS - Royal Sapphire Pearl

SkrillaApr-08-01 04:59 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1868 posts,
#304, "you don't have an import..."
In response to Reply # 7

The engine is Chrysler(AKA American AKA domestic)

Skrilla
'97 Base Talon NA
"Peace and Turbo Grease"

*Skrilla
'97 Prelude
'04 350Z

Originally posted by etx
Good luck man! Project 'STFU Brian your talon is dead meat' should be on it's feet soon!

klipzracerApr-09-01 12:36 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4006 posts,
#305, "RE: you don't have an import..."
In response to Reply # 9

i just went to my dealer today and he said around 500 buckaroos. does that sound like a fair price?

Chris
Project RS
chrisdishmon@hotmail.com

bustrblue1Apr-09-01 01:01 PM
Old School 2GNTer
340 posts,
#306, "RE: you don't have an import..."
In response to Reply # 10

hey, you better take it from the dealer then. my dealer told me $888. i took my car to the shop today. he gave me an estimate of $600 for the gaskets and timing belts. i have to call them in the morning before work and talk to them some more. i had my boss use his trailer to take my car to the garage. every time we put the car on or off, which was several times because we were pushing it, two pushing one driving, it scraped the front bumper. and every time it made me sick, literally, my stomach tightened and i thought i was going to throw up every time. although eventually i'm getting ground effects i hate it. at least it's going to run right now!

Matt

SkrillaApr-09-01 02:28 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1868 posts,
#307, "yep good deal..."
In response to Reply # 10

...especially for the labor involved. I would do it. I've seen dealer quotes all the way up to $1200. My Dealer for a clutch install charges $1100 - Nasty.

Skrilla
'97 Base Talon NA
"Peace and Turbo Grease"

*Skrilla
'97 Prelude
'04 350Z

Originally posted by etx

bustrblue1Apr-09-01 03:08 PM
Old School 2GNTer
340 posts,
#308, "RE: yep good deal..."
In response to Reply # 12

now thats what i call making some money! 1100 just for the clutch? thats way overboard. i know some kids who done a clutch install in a school mechanics class, with little or no help from the teacher. of course this wasn't on an eclipse though. old truck..hehe. but still, 1100 is out there!

Matt

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #295 Previous topic | Next topic