Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #23201
View in linear mode

Subject: "I found where the ticking is coming from" Previous topic | Next topic
1TuffRSMay-15-02 11:46 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2338 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#23201, "I found where the ticking is coming from"

Well yesterday I decided to do a search and find where the ticking sound is coming from and its coming from the number one cylinder (the one closest to the passenger side). While the car was at idle, I put my hand on the spark plug wire boot (for lack of a better word) and I could feel it popping every time it should light. What could possibly be the problem??

Toney
'97 RS 5 Speed (totaled)
15.4606@88.42 Mph
96 Toyota Celica GT
88 Toyota Supra NA-T (w/ sports package)
Got Boost?? Hell yeah I-6 turbo powah baby!

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: I found where the ticking is coming from, mcgyvr, May-16-02 12:27 AM, #1
RE: I found where the ticking is coming from, speedracer21, May-16-02 01:39 AM, #2
      RE: I found where the ticking is coming from, 1TuffRS, May-16-02 07:33 AM, #3
           RE: I found where the ticking is coming from, The1Bill, May-16-02 07:46 AM, #4
                RE: I found where the ticking is coming from, TeamMetalJim, May-16-02 04:12 PM, #5
RE: I found where the ticking is coming from, Karl, May-17-02 03:05 AM, #6
RE: I found where the ticking is coming from, zhr420, May-17-02 08:58 AM, #7

mcgyvrMay-16-02 12:27 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3121 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#23202, "RE: I found where the ticking is coming from"
In response to Reply # 0

maybe broken rocker arm? or you need a lash adjustment?

1998 dodge avenger 4 cyl AT
Mods are:
Not enough

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

speedracer21May-16-02 01:39 AM
Old School 2GNTer
638 posts,
#23203, "RE: I found where the ticking is coming from"
In response to Reply # 1

i noticed mine is ticking there too

1TuffRSMay-16-02 07:33 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2338 posts,
#23204, "RE: I found where the ticking is coming from"
In response to Reply # 2

bump!

Toney
'97 RS 5 Speed (totaled)
15.4606@88.42 Mph
96 Toyota Celica GT
88 Toyota Supra NA-T (w/ sports package)
Got Boost?? Hell yeah I-6 turbo powah baby!

The1BillMay-16-02 07:46 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2292 posts,
#23205, "RE: I found where the ticking is coming from"
In response to Reply # 3

Um, tighten down the spark plug? I had that happen to me, and I had a spark plug that had backed out a bit. Hope it is this simple for you and not a symptom of a problem elsewhere...
-=B-=

Dude, Boeing called. They want their wing back.

Dark0ne95: There is a butthole on that girl that his going to feel the wrath of 23 yeras of worldwide hate.
Me: Can I put that in my sig?
Dark0ne95: GO right fucking ahead.

TeamMetalJimMay-16-02 04:12 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2135 posts,
#23206, "RE: I found where the ticking is coming from"
In response to Reply # 4

Yeah man, tighten it down. Spark plugs aren't supposed to move at all.

95 Eclipse RS : 5 speed
Gude cams : test pipe : CAI : Dual air horns : Kenwood KDC 5000
incomming - lower strut bars : AutoCommand remote start

95 Eclipse RS : 5 speed
14.76 @ 94.72mph
Jeep TB writeup - http://www.dimensia.com:81/jimbo/JeepTBfor2gnt.html

KarlMay-17-02 03:05 AM
Old School 2GNTer
289 posts,
#23207, "RE: I found where the ticking is coming from"
In response to Reply # 0

Check if your spark plug is tighetned. If that doesn't work, take off the valve cover and see if the valves are the ones making the awkward noise. If so, adjust the valves.

Karl
97 GS
04 BMW 330i ZHP

zhr420May-17-02 08:58 AM
Old School 2GNTer
557 posts,
#23208, "RE: I found where the ticking is coming from"
In response to Reply # 0

does the ticking get louder as up rev? get someone to drive the car and stand next to it as it drives away if it gets louder then you might have spun a rod bearing. my cousin, Mummer12, and I had it and my cousin had it happen twice with two different bearings. my suggestion get someone to take off the oil pan and see if it is a rod bearing. i bet it is not anything to do with spark plugs or lifters.
later
"Z"

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #23201 Previous topic | Next topic