Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 4 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #209
View in linear mode

Subject: "HOW MUCH BOOST IS REALLY SAFE ON UPGRADED INTERNALS ?" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
E_ME_2Apr-04-01 04:06 PM
Old School 2GNTer
57 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#209, "HOW MUCH BOOST IS REALLY SAFE ON UPGRADED INTERNALS ?"

JE PISTONS
CROWER RODS
TOTAL SEAL RINGS

HOW MUCH BOOST AND DETONATION CAN IT TAKE ?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: HOW MUCH BOOST IS REALLY SAFE ON UPGRADED INTERNALS ?, SaberKhan, Apr-04-01 04:59 PM, #1
RE: HOW MUCH BOOST IS REALLY SAFE ON UPGRADED INTERNALS ?, VxROxV, Apr-04-01 06:12 PM, #2
RE: HOW MUCH BOOST IS REALLY SAFE ON UPGRADED INTERNALS ?, TeamStan2gnt, Apr-05-01 12:45 AM, #3
RE: HOW MUCH BOOST IS REALLY SAFE ON UPGRADED INTERNALS ?, VendorHRC, Apr-05-01 04:52 AM, #4
      600HP!! WOW, 99GSBBTurbo, Apr-05-01 06:13 PM, #5
           RE: 600HP!! WOW, Talon96, Jul-07-05 11:14 PM, #6
                RE: 600HP!! WOW, 420a-Tnthewerks, Jul-07-05 11:51 PM, #7
                RE: 600HP!! WOW, grain, Jul-07-05 11:54 PM, #8
                     RE: 600HP!! WOW, cougar694u, Jul-08-05 02:30 AM, #9
                          RE: 600HP!! WOW, 96boostedRST, Aug-24-09 12:54 PM, #10
                               RE: 600HP!! WOW, eclipse982nrRST, Aug-24-09 01:07 PM, #11
                                    RE: 600HP!! WOW, Moderatorbullettdsm, Aug-24-09 01:13 PM, #12

SaberKhanApr-04-01 04:59 PM
Old School 2GNTer
994 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#210, "RE: HOW MUCH BOOST IS REALLY SAFE ON UPGRADED INTERNALS ?"
In response to Reply # 0

No one is certain yet what is the limit with just a piston/rod swap. So far HRC is boosting pretty close to 30psi (26 or 28, I cant remember). As far as detonation, the 420a is very resistant. So, my answer is, she'll hold all you can throw at her, captain. =o)

91 awd: 60-1, 880's, E-Prom, etc.
93 awd: JDM 6 bolt, K&N, full exhaust, Wally 255, otherwise stock.

R.I.P. the original "Factory Freak"
15.5's with short ram and catback only
1996 RS 5-speed

VxROxVApr-04-01 06:12 PM
Old School 2GNTer
43 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list facebook
#211, "RE: HOW MUCH BOOST IS REALLY SAFE ON UPGRADED INTERNALS ?"
In response to Reply # 1

well, your block's internals might hold all the boost you throw in, but your head gasket might crack and the head might warp on you..

RO

TeamStan2gntApr-05-01 12:45 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2216 posts,
#212, "RE: HOW MUCH BOOST IS REALLY SAFE ON UPGRADED INTERNALS ?"
In response to Reply # 0

The pistons, rods and rings themselves can handle a 1000hp. The crank/block and headgasket limits remain to be seen (things can be done though. head studs and custom gaskets, sealers can allow almost any amount of boost on the gasket. Crower cranks can be had for $2000. SS valves will take care of the top end provided you dont extend the rev limit). The block is what no one seems to know (no one has ever broken one to my knowledge). As for detonation. $10K engines blow up everyday from it. No amount of money spent and use of strong parts will overcome a bad case of detonation. There is no such thing as a detonation proof bottome end (sure a minor case might not fly the head off but I still wouldn't want to buy that engine after a small bout of detonation).

Stan2gnt
Stan2va@aol.com
95 Talon ES-I-NOS but T soon!
http://members.nbci.com/FlyEsi/home.htm
You too can have a never updated site complete with old info and dated pics!

:farfrommugen:
Yes I still own a 2gnt.
Damn right I've been here longer than U
klassic_liven@yahoo.com

VendorHRCApr-05-01 04:52 AM
Old School 2GNTer
374 posts,
#213, "RE: HOW MUCH BOOST IS REALLY SAFE ON UPGRADED INTERNALS ?"
In response to Reply # 3

Stan is correct on all counts.

As far as what you can expect from an engine set up like yours: with a stock MLS and stock headbolts, we have run up to 600HP with an identical engine with no problems to date. This presumes that the engine is tuned correctly and not having to withstand detonation episodes ftom mis-tuning or an inadequately prepped fuel system.

Bill Hahn Jr.
98 RS Turbo: 10.87 @ 136 MPH
HRC Stage V with N20
Nation's Fastest Street FWD 2G DSM
www.turbosystem.com

99GSBBTurboApr-05-01 06:13 PM
Old School 2GNTer
1191 posts,
#214, "600HP!! WOW"
In response to Reply # 4

With that set up you achieved 600HP!!!! O MY GOD!!! So I'm guessing with that set up, our engines will last for ever when just boosting around 300HP? With the proper tuning and fuel needs? Or am I wrong? Cause if that's the case, then that's the set up I want.

E-ME-2...Do you know how much that would cost installed?

Also, I know that Detonation is bad, and what causes it, but... What is it? What exactly is happening to the internals when you have it?

Ball Bearing Star Stage II
"Power is nothing without control"

I use to have a White 99 GS Sport with a Star Stage II Ball Bearing T3/T4 turbo...it was fun untill....well those who remember me know Oh Ya...this is what I have now... a 99' GSX...

Talon96Jul-07-05 11:14 PM
Member since Jul 04th 2005
39 posts,
#91235, "RE: 600HP!! WOW"
In response to Reply # 5

If I remember right, detonation happens when gasoline preignites before the sparkplugs spark the a/f ratio, and it heats up the internals and shit, and you knows what happens when something heats up beyond its limits. Higher levels of octane in gasoline help fight detonation. That's how the cars in JGTC and shit run high amounts of boost. Lean a/f ratios cause detonation also, but just use higher octane gasoline and dont run too lean. Also, detonation/preignition can bend your connecting rods and may fuck up the cranshaft because as the piston is going up to compress the a/f mixture, it will explode. This will cause the crankshaft to spin in reverse, but the other cylinders would still be firing properly so thats like sticking your hand into some fanblades.

It's not the best just because I drive it, I drive it because it's the best.

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=18398089&imageID=128623343&Mytoken=20050706205506

420a-TnthewerksJul-07-05 11:51 PM
Member since Jun 11th 2004
2267 posts,
#91236, "RE: 600HP!! WOW"
In response to Reply # 6

Originally posted by Talon96
If I remember right, detonation happens when gasoline preignites before the sparkplugs spark the a/f ratio, and it heats up the internals and shit, and you knows what happens when something heats up beyond its limits. Higher levels of octane in gasoline help fight detonation. That's how the cars in JGTC and shit run high amounts of boost. Lean a/f ratios cause detonation also, but just use higher octane gasoline and dont run too lean. Also, detonation/preignition can bend your connecting rods and may fuck up the cranshaft because as the piston is going up to compress the a/f mixture, it will explode. This will cause the crankshaft to spin in reverse, but the other cylinders would still be firing properly so thats like sticking your hand into some fanblades.

Notice how almost everybody in this thread is "old school." You'll never see that around here anymore...

grainJul-07-05 11:54 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2551 posts,
#91237, "RE: 600HP!! WOW"
In response to Reply # 6

um... please check dates on posts before responding

cougar694uJul-08-05 02:30 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3381 posts,
#91238, "RE: 600HP!! WOW"
In response to Reply # 8
Jul-08-05 02:31 AM by cougar694u

Originally posted by grain
um... please check dates on posts before responding
At least you know he's using the search button

Originally posted by Talon96

Wrong. Gas igniting prior to spark is preignition, not detonation. Preignition is very VERY bad and can waste a piston the first time it preignites.

Detonation is when not all of the gas is burned evenly, a small pocket inside the CC that is unburned is heated due to compression & the main a/f mixture burning. That unburned pocket of air/fuel spontaneously combusts. That's why you hear that rattling noise, it's very powerful, increasing cylinder pressure for that split second, and jars everything internally like hitting it with a ball peen hammer. Most engines can withstand a small amount of detonation for a short period of time. It's prolonged exposure to detonation that kills internals.

Read Here:
http://www.misterfixit.com/deton.htm

~Luke
Facebook
1969 Cougar - 11.91 - 380HP
2007 GSXR 750
1999 OZ - SOLD - 15.26 NA - 14.71 on 75 shot

96boostedRSTAug-24-09 12:54 PM
Member since Nov 08th 2007
29 posts,
#127383, "RE: 600HP!! WOW"
In response to Reply # 9

Now if you guys seen DSM-Zero's car. he put down 661hp 463tq on je pistons eaglerods. he was running 30 psi. and is bout to turn it up. he is hoping for 700hp. in otherwords still highest recorded horsepower for the 420a plateform. i am good friends with him. he lives near me. and i have seen the car myself. its rediculous. still awaiting track time though. mind me, the car is fully built. alot done. but yes it can be done. check his video out on youtube also. just type in dsm-zero

285 horsepower/269. torque at 11 lbs boost(e-85tuned) stock internals.

eclipse982nrRSTAug-24-09 01:07 PM
Member since Mar 16th 2004
6314 posts,
#127384, "RE: 600HP!! WOW"
In response to Reply # 10

Originally posted by 96boostedRST
Now if you guys seen DSM-Zero's car. he put down 661hp 463tq on je pistons eaglerods. he was running 30 psi. and is bout to turn it up. he is hoping for 700hp. in otherwords still highest recorded horsepower for the 420a plateform. i am good friends with him. he lives near me. and i have seen the car myself. its rediculous. still awaiting track time though. mind me, the car is fully built. alot done. but yes it can be done. check his video out on youtube also. just type in dsm-zero

4 YEARS OLD DUDE

-MIKE-

Stroked 2.2L

ModeratorbullettdsmAug-24-09 01:13 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2676 posts,
#127385, "RE: 600HP!! WOW"
In response to Reply # 11
Aug-24-09 01:13 PM by bullettdsm

Wow. Why is this happening today?

96boostedRST check the post dates before posting to a thread. And why don't you do a little search to find your boys thread on our site? That's your homework for today.......

Locked.

Captain Caveman

96 RS Turbo 11.414 @ 119.62 MSNS, Crower 2 NA cams, BW366, 10.5 comp, UDP, 60mm TB, W/A intercooler, 3.55 tranny 567.9whp 430tq
97 RS NA 13.188 @ 103.87 MSnS powered 12.5 comp, Crower 3's and 219.4whp with 175tq
98 RS DD 12.5 comp on stock ECU, LTH, Crower 2's, Koni, GC, Hypercoil, DG hats
99 OZ 5sp Stocker 15.856 @ 85.97
99 GS stocker auto 17.7@77mph!

wiki home page:http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=bullettdsm

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #209 Previous topic | Next topic