Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #1856
View in linear mode

Subject: " 2 -2 cam sprocket settings, funny idle" Previous topic | Next topic
jamesmanMay-14-01 05:57 AM
Old School 2GNTer
1339 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1856, " 2 -2 cam sprocket settings, funny idle"

wassup everyone?
i recently put some AEM adjustable cam sprockets on my 95 gs and dialed them to +2 intake, -2 Exhaust. the car now has noticably more power, but...hehe there's always a but.....at idle it is a little rough and inconsistent, and sometimes when i start the car when it has not yet warmed up it seems lie it is almost going to shut off. I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem
thanks!!!

Rest In Peace Heidi Doggy

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
I have that problem..., Skrilla, May-14-01 12:02 PM, #1
RE: I have that problem..., Talon, May-15-01 05:58 AM, #2
      RE: I have that problem..., dudasd, May-15-01 08:28 AM, #3
           Lope, TeamMichael_97RS, May-15-01 08:38 AM, #4
                RE: Lope, dudasd, May-15-01 12:11 PM, #5
                     no smog test Talon????, klipzracer, May-15-01 01:02 PM, #6
                     you can..., Skrilla, May-16-01 07:37 AM, #7
                          RE: you can..., jamesman, May-17-01 02:08 AM, #8
                               RE: you can..., Talon, May-17-01 03:13 AM, #9
                               RE: you can..., allmotorgs, Apr-28-05 03:39 AM, #10
                                    RE: you can..., whodatt1, Apr-28-05 05:00 AM, #11
                                         RE: you can..., allmotorgs, Apr-28-05 04:19 PM, #12
                                              RE: you can..., totaleklipse97, Apr-28-05 04:48 PM, #13
                                                   RE: you can..., spooled420, Nov-06-07 05:09 PM, #14
                                                        RE: you can..., Moderatorbullettdsm, Nov-06-07 11:40 PM, #15
                                                             RE: you can..., djtrickee, Nov-07-07 05:20 AM, #16

SkrillaMay-14-01 12:02 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1868 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1857, "I have that problem..."
In response to Reply # 0

...but I don't care, and after a couple of free cases of Corona and Guiness neither did the Smog Tech, I would've failed visual and idle but I passed smog easily. The AFC isn't CARB exempt but it let me run leaner and register less carbon monoxide

Skrilla
'97 Base Talon NA
"Technology: The Only Replacement for Displacement"
"Peace and Turbo Grease"

*Skrilla
"Honest officer, I thought you were trying to race me"
Talon: 1st 2.4L
'97 Prelude
'04 350Z

Originally posted by YourInMyMirror95GS
dick teaser's should be rounded up and shot in the forehead
Originally posted by etx
Good luck man! Project 'STFU Brian your talon is dead meat' should be on it's feet soon!
Originally posted by Dark0ne
Thanks. Now excuse me while i fuck your sister.
"fuck all motor" -turbo ate you

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

TalonMay-15-01 05:58 AM
Old School 2GNTer
258 posts,
#1858, "RE: I have that problem..."
In response to Reply # 1

hahaha cool. i am soo glad i dont have to deal with that smog shit here in ohio. i will keep that in mind if i ever move out to an area that i need to get smog registered.

Talon
97'Talon Esi
Injen short ram
stock 16" rims <---heck yeah !!!
AEM cam gears

dudasdMay-15-01 08:28 AM
Donating 2GNT member
735 posts,
#1859, "RE: I have that problem..."
In response to Reply # 2

I'm not sure if someting hosed or not, but the replies don't quite seem to match what the post was about. I'm kinda interested to see what the replies to the rough idle are since I will be getting my cam gears installed shortly. The best I can think of would be the same as getting some cams put, the extra lope to the cams from the advance/retard is causing he rough idle...yes/no???

AEM CAI
Pace Setter
Magnacore 8.5 MM Plug wires
EBC Green Stuff pads
Waiting on AEM Cam Gears to arrive
ddudas@wakul.com
ICQ# 5591657

TeamMichael_97RSMay-15-01 08:38 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5866 posts,
#1860, "Lope"
In response to Reply # 3

My dear Watson... I think you've got it!

Yep the rough idle is a nice side effect of it, a side effect I like. makes teh car feel more like V-8 at idle. You've overlapped the intake and exhaust valves opening you get the rough idle, like you would with a set of cams.

Since emissions was brought up, I'm curious as to how much I will be able to do and still pass emissions. Drag Cams, higher compression, etc. I hope I can still detune enough to pass emission. Damn Chicago for having these new stupid dyno emissions machines.

"To strive to seek to find... and not to yield."
Michael J. Kulaga e-mail: Michael_97RS@2gntDSM.zzn.com
aol IM: MJKulga Website: http://highlander.dsmpower.com/

Injen CAI w/ K&N Breather Filters, 55mm TB, GS-T Muffler, FU/RU/RL STBs, Front NRG Susp. Motor Mount Ins., Red Silicone Hose Kit, 8.5mm Magnecor Wires, Bosch Rapidfire Plugs

And in my Room: Rear disc brake conversion kit, SS Brake Lines, Intake manifold 4 porting, Rear Motor Mount Ins. RRE FL Tie Bar(Well Almost), TSW Blade 17x7.5 with Bridgestone Potenza RE730 215/45ZR-17 on the way!!!

Firefly:
Mal: You don't know me, son, so let me put this to you plainly: If I ever kill you, you'll be awake. You'll be facing me. And you'll be armed.

dudasdMay-15-01 12:11 PM
Donating 2GNT member
735 posts,
#1861, "RE: Lope"
In response to Reply # 4

Well Mr Holmes thank you very much...LOL To answer your question on cams and other mods....from the research I have done so far between here and people I know that have swapped cams...once you do it, forget about emissions. Not sure how strict they are in Chi-town now, but I know they won't pass in PA from what a friend told me. Good thing he knows someone that can test a seperate car in place of his every year. Not sure how to get around it otherwise. As usual sometimes it's good to know the right people.. )

AEM CAI
Pace Setter
Magnacore 8.5 MM Plug wires
EBC Green Stuff pads
Waiting on AEM Cam Gears to arrive
ddudas@wakul.com
ICQ# 5591657

klipzracerMay-15-01 01:02 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4006 posts,
#1862, "no smog test Talon????"
In response to Reply # 5

really levi????? i have to get a smog test every 2 years down here in butler county. i guess it depends on the county cause it's like that in kentucky, too.

Chris Dishmon
-----------Mods-----------
Interior:
-color painted interior
-fire extinguisher
-Topspeed short shifter
-aluminum shift knob and pedals
-Grant Evolution steering wheel
Exterior:
-Neo Blitz Front Bumper
-17" ICW 10 spoke wheels w/ 215/45 yokahama's
-APR GT1 adjustable aluminum wing
-Toyota Supra turn signal/foglights
-Aerogear fiberglass hood w/ Sparco hoodpins
Engine:
-Weapon R intake w/ ram air hook up
-NGK plugs
-Accel 8mm ignition wires
-Catco hi-flow cat convertor
-Apexi Dunk Muffler
Suspension:
-front and rear strut tower bars
-Tenzo R lowering springs
-front and rear camber adjustment
Stereo:
-Kenwood In-dash CD player
-Kenwood graphic EQ
-Orion Cobalt amp
-6 1/2" Infinity Kappa speakers
-6X9 Alpines speakers
http://klipzracer.homestead.com/index.html
chrisdishmon@hotmail.com

SkrillaMay-16-01 07:37 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1868 posts,
#1863, "you can..."
In response to Reply # 5

...pass smog with street grind camshafts by retarding enough to reduce vacuum back to stock. The extra vacume is from duration and overlap the cams generate, obviously the drag set is going to be a bit harder to accomplish - I will have to wait and see.

Skrilla
'97 Base Talon NA
"Technology: The Only Replacement for Displacement"
"Peace and Turbo Grease"

*Skrilla
"Honest officer, I thought you were trying to race me"
Talon: 1st 2.4L
'97 Prelude
'04 350Z

Originally posted by YourInMyMirror95GS
dick teaser's should be rounded up and shot in the forehead
Originally posted by etx
Good luck man! Project 'STFU Brian your talon is dead meat' should be on it's feet soon!
Originally posted by Dark0ne
Thanks. Now excuse me while i fuck your sister.
"fuck all motor" -turbo ate you

jamesmanMay-17-01 02:08 AM
Old School 2GNTer
1339 posts,
#1864, "RE: you can..."
In response to Reply # 7

thanks everyone, ya i think the posts started going somewhere else at first, but then it got back on track. hehe thanks for the info! i know the car has more power with the +2 -2 setup cause i can feel the difference, the idle was what i was worried about, thanks!

Rest In Peace Heidi Doggy

TalonMay-17-01 03:13 AM
Old School 2GNTer
258 posts,
#1865, "RE: you can..."
In response to Reply # 8

you live in a big city Chris and i dont. that is why i guess heheheh

Talon
97'Talon Esi
Injen short ram
stock 16" rims <---heck yeah !!!
AEM cam gears

allmotorgsApr-28-05 03:39 AM
Member since Apr 01st 2005
39 posts,
#88817, "RE: you can..."
In response to Reply # 8

Did you set your cam gears on a dyno? If not then you might be able to realize even more power tuning on a dyno, it will let you get the optimum setting, it might be +2, -2, or it might be different, just a suggestion.

"drive fast, live dangerously...look out for police"
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/775307
-Robbie

whodatt1Apr-28-05 05:00 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2531 posts,
#88819, "RE: you can..."
In response to Reply # 10

Thanks for bringing back a thread that's 4 years old...

-97 GS (First project, 299 whp)(sold)
- 97 RS 2.6 last numbers: 306hp, 352tq @16psi (Dead, parted out)
- 99 GS OZ, Hahn Kit, 56k miles (Sold)
--------
- 00 Nissan Maxima GLE (Daily Driver)
- 02 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro

allmotorgsApr-28-05 04:19 PM
Member since Apr 01st 2005
39 posts,
#88841, "RE: you can..."
In response to Reply # 11

heh oops, i really should look at the dates on these things, but im still a little new, ill remember for next time

"drive fast, live dangerously...look out for police"
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/775307
-Robbie

totaleklipse97Apr-28-05 04:48 PM
Member since May 14th 2003
3589 posts,
#88842, "RE: you can..."
In response to Reply # 12

Originally posted by allmotorgs
heh oops, i really should look at the dates on these things, but im still a little new, ill remember for next time

maybe you should sort threads by updated recently instead of whatever you are doing. The views you have on this forum are all whacked. Why else would u see a thread from 01'. (it's kinda funny sometimes to see these guys old sigs and such)

-----------------------------------

My DSM registry.......Powered By Exile Racing
VW= The joy of driving
DSM= The frustration of fixing

The wonders of 2gnt chat:

‹totaleklipse97› so what benefits do i get from being ur e-boyfriend
‹Jen› uh... the honor?
‹totaleklipse97› somehow i guess i got that title now
‹Jen› somehow.....

spooled420Nov-06-07 05:09 PM
Member since Jun 04th 2007
204 posts,
#106777, "RE: you can..."
In response to Reply # 13

I dont see the big deal of bringgin up old threads its just more info if someone decides to google this convo...knowledge is power peeps

ModeratorbullettdsmNov-06-07 11:40 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2676 posts,
#106779, "RE: you can..."
In response to Reply # 14

Originally posted by spooled420
I dont see the big deal of bringgin up old threads its just more info if someone decides to google this convo...knowledge is power peeps

It clutters up the forum for no good reason, unless you have something pertinent to add....

Captain Caveman

96 RS Turbo 11.414 @ 119.62 MSNS, Crower 2 NA cams, BW366, 10.5 comp, UDP, 60mm TB, W/A intercooler, 3.55 tranny 567.9whp 430tq
97 RS NA 13.188 @ 103.87 MSnS powered 12.5 comp, Crower 3's and 219.4whp with 175tq
98 RS DD 12.5 comp on stock ECU, LTH, Crower 2's, Koni, GC, Hypercoil, DG hats
99 OZ 5sp Stocker 15.856 @ 85.97
99 GS stocker auto 17.7@77mph!

wiki home page:http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=bullettdsm

djtrickeeNov-07-07 05:20 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5924 posts,
#106780, "RE: you can..."
In response to Reply # 15

Originally posted by bullettdsm
Originally posted by spooled420 I dont see the big deal of bringgin up old threads its just more info if someone decides to google this convo...knowledge is power peeps
It clutters up the forum for no good reason, unless you have something pertinent to add....

Which obviously he didn't.

Nor did I, I guess.

.........................................................................................................................

Built. That's All...
.........................................................................................................................
www.monkeybuttpirate.com
2 Fingers of Scotch with a milk back... Stat!

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #1856 Previous topic | Next topic