Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #16204
View in linear mode

Subject: "car broke" Previous topic | Next topic
___djtrixter___Mar-02-02 02:01 PM
Old School 2GNTer
37 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#16204, "car broke"

something is wrong with my 98 rs standard transmission. while i was driving, my engine started revving weird. i think it may be my flywheel. every time i step on the gas, either at a light or while moving, the engine would rev up to like 5000 rpms and stay there. i can change gears and the gears grip good but when i drive and keep my feet off of all the pedals, its as if the cruise control is on (i checked and it was off). so, i pulled over and turned my car off. waited a few minutes and now my car wont start. tried jumpin it but that doesnt seem to be the problem. so what is the problem? i dont know much about this stuff. is it timing belt, transmission, flywheel? please help

thanks alot for all your input. i greatly appreciate it.

dj triXter

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: car broke, vegasdsmr, Mar-02-02 02:11 PM, #1
RE: car broke, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Mar-02-02 03:41 PM, #2
      RE: car broke, ___djtrixter___, Mar-02-02 08:29 PM, #3
           RE: car broke, SaberKhan, Mar-02-02 08:31 PM, #4
                RE: car broke, Breezio, Mar-03-02 04:50 AM, #5
                     RE: car broke, ___djtrixter___, Mar-03-02 06:24 AM, #6

vegasdsmrMar-02-02 02:11 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4713 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#16205, "RE: car broke"
In response to Reply # 0

i would check your throttle cable, and see if it is catchin on sumthin.

also, could be your idle air controller, or air idle controller. maybe clean out your throttle body.

im not sure why it wont start, and why it cant get jumped....

what year is yours?? if its 95-97, you can do the key dance (link found on main page www.2gnt.com) and then see what codes come up.

help is on the way, be patient. she'll be fixed

03 srt-4 13.130@112.47mph (n2o, stock turbo, 10/2003)
now: 20g, portfueler, bpu+++ (track/dyno times tbd...)

i farted on your wiki

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneMar-02-02 03:41 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#16206, "RE: car broke"
In response to Reply # 1

Nice to see you again Brian. You really should hang out more..

Check for vacuum leaks, loose hoses, etc. first off.

Will the car turn over at all? Can you check if it's getting spark or fuel?

If you don't have it figured out by tomorrow, give me a call.. my cell is 8325496806. I'll come out there and we'll get it running, hang out, drink some o'douls, talk cars... give me a ring, man.

Dino

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

___djtrixter___Mar-02-02 08:29 PM
Old School 2GNTer
37 posts,
#16207, "RE: car broke"
In response to Reply # 2

thanks for all the help.......and thank you dino for the offer, i might have to hit you up on that help. anyways, heres the latest update. i went to try and start it and it started right up. it must have been flooded. it idled for a few seconds and died. i tried it again and it seemed to idle fine (just a little sluggish) i didnt try driving it so im not sure if its doing the revving thing but im going to check that out tomorrow when it warms up a bit outside. on thing that is worring me now is that i can smell fuel coming out of my exhaust. i would really like you help dino so i will most likely call you sunday afternoon. thanks so much for the offer. that means alot to me really.

ill keep yall updated on my car and if any of you have any more opinions, hit me up. i got to get her up and running again. if i cant, i guess i could always drive my girls eclipse. he-he thats so cool that my girl drives a dsm too. she knows more about cars that i do. n-e-ways......talk to yall soon.

triX

ps if there are alot of type-ohs....ignore them, i have too many redbulls tonight.

SaberKhanMar-02-02 08:31 PM
Old School 2GNTer
994 posts,
#16208, "RE: car broke"
In response to Reply # 3

Well, technically, you cant flood an EFI car. I think. Sounds more like an ECU problem, and when you let it sit, and turned it back on, it reset.

91 awd: 60-1, 880's, E-Prom, etc.
93 awd: JDM 6 bolt, K&N, full exhaust, Wally 255, otherwise stock.

R.I.P. the original "Factory Freak"
15.5's with short ram and catback only
1996 RS 5-speed

BreezioMar-03-02 04:50 AM
Old School 2GNTer
4863 posts,
#16209, "RE: car broke"
In response to Reply # 4

yes you can flood an EFI car. hold the throttle at WOT and then try and start the car.. ECU is gonna see the WOT and dump more gas then a starting car knows with to do with.

the difference is.. you can't flood the car, until you try and start it. But you can flood it while trying to start it.

but yeah.. with that being said.. My guess is that the throttle got stuck.. and now that it started and idle'd fine.. it might have poped back to normal.. whatever was stuck in the throttle system that is.

___djtrixter___Mar-03-02 06:24 AM
Old School 2GNTer
37 posts,
#16210, "RE: car broke"
In response to Reply # 5

im about to go check on my car and see what happens. ill let yall know and thanks again for all the help. i hate putting so much money into the car for it to go and act all screwy on me. im sure yall know what i mean.

triX

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #16204 Previous topic | Next topic