Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 4 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #152
View in linear mode

Subject: "Engine swap 2" Previous topic | Next topic
dsmdiabloApr-03-01 08:21 AM
Old School 2GNTer
12 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#152, "Engine swap 2"

Does anyone know of anything I can put in besides a 420A without a lot of trouble getting it in? Thanks

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Engine swap 2, 99GSBBTurbo, Apr-03-01 09:58 AM, #1
RE: Engine swap 2, klipzracer, Apr-03-01 10:23 AM, #2
RE: Engine swap 2, dsmdiablo, Apr-03-01 01:24 PM, #3
RE: Engine swap 2, 99GSBBTurbo, Apr-03-01 01:48 PM, #4
      RE: Engine swap 2, ModeratorEvuLFleA, Apr-03-01 02:25 PM, #5
           RE: Engine swap 2, Kirby, Apr-04-01 02:55 AM, #6
RE: Engine swap 2, TeamMichael_97RS, Apr-04-01 04:37 AM, #7
RE: Engine swap 2, dsmdiablo, Apr-04-01 08:46 AM, #8
RE: Engine swap 2, Moderatorsd_eclipse, Apr-04-01 09:05 AM, #9
RE: Engine swap 2, mike_d, Apr-04-01 04:45 PM, #11
RE: Engine swap 2, TeamMichael_97RS, Apr-05-01 03:03 AM, #14
Yup..., Skrilla, Apr-04-01 04:20 PM, #10
      RE: Yup..., VxROxV, Apr-04-01 06:19 PM, #12
           RE: Yup..., klipzracer, Apr-04-01 11:40 PM, #13
                RE: Yup..., The1Bill, Apr-05-01 05:54 PM, #16
Cyclone, RAIZIN, Apr-05-01 04:16 AM, #15
RE: Cyclone, klipzracer, Apr-05-01 10:14 PM, #17
      Just pick up a 1G engine with the bigger head, Skrilla, Apr-06-01 02:45 PM, #18

99GSBBTurboApr-03-01 09:58 AM
Old School 2GNTer
1191 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#153, "RE: Engine swap 2"
In response to Reply # 0

A turboed 420A

Ball Bearing Star Stage II
"Power is nothing without control"

I use to have a White 99 GS Sport with a Star Stage II Ball Bearing T3/T4 turbo...it was fun untill....well those who remember me know Oh Ya...this is what I have now... a 99' GSX...

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

klipzracerApr-03-01 10:23 AM
Old School 2GNTer
4006 posts,
#154, "RE: Engine swap 2"
In response to Reply # 1

hehehe, yeah! a gst is too expensive and complicatd and who want crankwalk?!?!?!?

Chris
Project RS
http://klipzracer.homestead.com/index.html
"Life is short, rev hard!"
chrisdishmon@hotmail.com

dsmdiabloApr-03-01 01:24 PM
Old School 2GNTer
12 posts,
#155, "RE: Engine swap 2"
In response to Reply # 0

Will the GST engine fit in my NT?

99GSBBTurboApr-03-01 01:48 PM
Old School 2GNTer
1191 posts,
#156, "RE: Engine swap 2"
In response to Reply # 3

Yes, but you have to change the engine mounts.

Ball Bearing Star Stage II
"Power is nothing without control"

I use to have a White 99 GS Sport with a Star Stage II Ball Bearing T3/T4 turbo...it was fun untill....well those who remember me know Oh Ya...this is what I have now... a 99' GSX...

ModeratorEvuLFleAApr-03-01 02:25 PM
Old School 2GNTer
9791 posts,
#157, "RE: Engine swap 2"
In response to Reply # 4

And ecu, etc, etc, etc.

ICQ #2199879
AOL - EvuLFleA
stillk@geocites.com

------------------------------------------------
98 ESi
95 GS

KirbyApr-04-01 02:55 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2181 posts,
#158, "RE: Engine swap 2"
In response to Reply # 5

LAST EDITED ON 04-Apr-01 AT 08:00 AM (PST)

so lets review the engine swap theroy and compare cost.
any new engine you put in this car will require you to switch everything in this car engine tranny ecu....... on and on then you have to find a mechanic to do it unless your him and think of all that labor now buy a new 420a (don't know the cost on that) and stroke it and slap on a turbo and it would still come out to be less w/parts and labor probally even including a valve job and all that we don't drive hunduuuuuuuhhhhhhh's so we can't direct swap even a 4g63 will cost a boat load and you have to walk your crank
and yes it will be alot of trouble to do

I edited to the wiki!

Originally posted by DR1665
NOTE TO SELF: Go commando to wedding. Scar the Irishman for life.

TeamMichael_97RSApr-04-01 04:37 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5866 posts,
#159, "RE: Engine swap 2"
In response to Reply # 0

Why are you sooooo opposed to the 420A?

You can get one from the junk yard for probably $500. And put whatever built parts you want into it. Not have to swp ECU gauges etc. And put aturbo on it for less than the roughly $6k it would cost you to do the swap. (I think $600 was rough;y what we decides a while back when the same question came up) For $6000 you can have one hell of a fast 420A. Skrilla stroker kit and an HRC Turbo would bring you in under this price tag, and be a mean ride!

The nly thing I woudl swap out for a 420A would be a V-8... :-P and since that won't fit Build the &^*&^* out of your 420A, it has great potential.

"To strive to seek to find... and not to yield."
Michael J. Kulaga
Michael_97RS@2gntDSM.zzn.com
aol IM: MJKulga
http://highlander.dsmpower.com/

Firefly:
Mal: You don't know me, son, so let me put this to you plainly: If I ever kill you, you'll be awake. You'll be facing me. And you'll be armed.

dsmdiabloApr-04-01 08:46 AM
Old School 2GNTer
12 posts,
#160, "RE: Engine swap 2"
In response to Reply # 7

Thanks for your help everybody.

Moderatorsd_eclipseApr-04-01 09:05 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1543 posts,
#161, "RE: Engine swap 2"
In response to Reply # 7

What do you mean a V-8 wont fit? There used to be a performance shop close by to where I live called monster motors don't know if they are still around or not. They, believe it or not managed to cram a v-8 into a miata. If they can do that, im sure they could fit a v-8 into a dsm.

mike_dApr-04-01 04:45 PM
Old School 2GNTer
718 posts,
#162, "RE: Engine swap 2"
In response to Reply # 9

you can put 5.0 mustang engines in miatas

95 Talon ESi-T

TeamMichael_97RSApr-05-01 03:03 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5866 posts,
#163, "RE: Engine swap 2"
In response to Reply # 9

Isn't a Miata rear wheel drive?

If I'm putting in a V-8 it would be an LT-5... DOHC Vette motor... and I don't know of a trans that will fit with a transverse mounted 350 and hold the kind of torque I'd be putting through it.

But my basic point was the only way I'm going to change from a 420A is if I could put something absoultely insane in for a sane price.

Although... the though of having the first Dodge Viper V-10 Powered Eclipse does appeal to me

"To strive to seek to find... and not to yield."
Michael J. Kulaga
Michael_97RS@2gntDSM.zzn.com
aol IM: MJKulga
http://highlander.dsmpower.com/

Firefly:
Mal: You don't know me, son, so let me put this to you plainly: If I ever kill you, you'll be awake. You'll be facing me. And you'll be armed.

SkrillaApr-04-01 04:20 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1868 posts,
#164, "Yup..."
In response to Reply # 7

I paid $475 for an ENTIRE REPLACEMENT 420A ENGINE. From the intake manny to the exhaust manny and eveypiece in between except the wiring harness - even all the sensors!

Skrilla
'97 Base Talon NA
"Technology: The Only Replacement for Displacement"
"Peace and Turbo Grease"

*Skrilla
"Honest officer, I thought you were trying to race me"
Talon: 1st 2.4L
'97 Prelude
'04 350Z

Originally posted by YourInMyMirror95GS
dick teaser's should be rounded up and shot in the forehead
Originally posted by etx
Good luck man! Project 'STFU Brian your talon is dead meat' should be on it's feet soon!
Originally posted by Dark0ne
Thanks. Now excuse me while i fuck your sister.
"fuck all motor" -turbo ate you

VxROxVApr-04-01 06:19 PM
Old School 2GNTer
43 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list facebook
#165, "RE: Yup..."
In response to Reply # 10

you can always spend the extra cash and get an FTO motor put in...

RO

klipzracerApr-04-01 11:40 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4006 posts,
#166, "RE: Yup..."
In response to Reply # 12

isn't an FTO a 6 cylinder??? inline 4 turboed???

Chris
Project RS
chrisdishmon@hotmail.com

The1BillApr-05-01 05:54 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2292 posts,
#167, "RE: Yup..."
In response to Reply # 13

I *** really *** want that FTO engine... variable valve timing/lifting, 2.0 liter V6, rated around 200 HP or so. Should fit too. Just can't find one cheap!

World's most stock '96 DSM...
/\
_\/_
/_/\_\

Dude, Boeing called. They want their wing back.

Dark0ne95: There is a butthole on that girl that his going to feel the wrath of 23 yeras of worldwide hate.
Me: Can I put that in my sig?
Dark0ne95: GO right fucking ahead.

RAIZINApr-05-01 04:16 AM
Old School 2GNTer
775 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#168, "Cyclone"
In response to Reply # 0

The guys with NT's around here have been getting a hold of the japanese spec 4g63 for around 800.00 w/ tranny, ecu, harness, and gear linkage. Motor mounts are easy to fabricate. I've seen them mount the engine a little forward (directly over the wheels) for better traction due to weight distribution. The cyclone is a 1g motor.. no crankwalk and is rated at 240HP in stock form. These motors can be found at K. Watanabe or Orient Engines as well as plenty of other places. Average cost in labor on a motor swap here in So-Cal is from 500.00 - 1k. Easy stuff. Any questions.. let me know.
Rick

klipzracerApr-05-01 10:14 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4006 posts,
#169, "RE: Cyclone"
In response to Reply # 15

holy $hit!!!!!!!!! a japan spec 4g with no crankwalk!!! that's what i need to get my hands on!!!!!!!!

Chris
Project RS
chrisdishmon@hotmail.com

SkrillaApr-06-01 02:45 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1868 posts,
#170, "Just pick up a 1G engine with the bigger head"
In response to Reply # 17

Skrilla
'97 Base Talon NA
"Technology: The Only Replacement for Displacement"
"Peace and Turbo Grease"

*Skrilla
"Honest officer, I thought you were trying to race me"
Talon: 1st 2.4L
'97 Prelude
'04 350Z

Originally posted by YourInMyMirror95GS
dick teaser's should be rounded up and shot in the forehead
Originally posted by etx
Good luck man! Project 'STFU Brian your talon is dead meat' should be on it's feet soon!
Originally posted by Dark0ne
Thanks. Now excuse me while i fuck your sister.
"fuck all motor" -turbo ate you

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #152 Previous topic | Next topic