Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 3 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #143
View in linear mode

Subject: "how much boost is (really)safe with stock internals" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
magnusApr-03-01 07:43 AM
Old School 2GNTer
229 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#143, "how much boost is (really)safe with stock internals"

I know the engine can handle up to 280hp right....but im thinking of going to about 225 with a stage 2 hrc.... how long do you think ill last at about 7 to 8 pounds (daily driver). If you guys suggest new rods pistons etc....can i expect more power from them alone?????????

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: how much boost is (really)safe with stock internals, BLKOUT, Apr-03-01 08:02 AM, #1
nice answer..., TeamJasonESi_T, Apr-03-01 08:30 AM, #2
      RE: nice answer..., 99GSBBTurbo, Apr-03-01 09:56 AM, #3
RE: how much boost is (really)safe with stock internals, magnus, Apr-03-01 01:51 PM, #4
RE: how much boost is (really)safe with stock internals, TeamJeff_99gs, Apr-03-01 03:00 PM, #5
      RE: how much boost is (really)safe with stock internals, cyan, Apr-03-01 03:45 PM, #6
           RE: how much boost is (really)safe with stock internals, 99GSBBTurbo, Apr-03-01 06:16 PM, #7
                RE: how much boost is (really)safe with stock internals, HadesOmega, Apr-03-01 07:59 PM, #8
RE: how much boost is (really)safe with stock internals, 96boostedRST, Dec-14-09 06:59 PM, #9
RE: how much boost is (really)safe with stock internals, AdministratorCODE4, Dec-14-09 07:42 PM, #10

BLKOUTApr-03-01 08:02 AM
Old School 2GNTer
218 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#144, "RE: how much boost is (really)safe with stock internals"
In response to Reply # 0

If you ask me, this is a loaded question. There is no way any one can say for sure how much boost your engine can handle. HRC claims that a stock engine can handle 8-10psi, but that is a best case scenario. What I mean is this, you may have an engine that has a rod bolt or a bearing that's just waiting to let go. Now if you dump boost to it then it's gonna let go faster. So you think it was the boost when actually it was bound to happen anyway. I hear stories of people blowing stock engines all the time. Basically what I'm trying to say is someone can tell you what boost they ran, but that doesn't mean your engine will perform the same way. I ran 13psi on a stock bottom end (I had a thicker head gasket to lower the compression but everything else was stock). I didn't have any probs, but that doesn't mean if I would have kept it up I wouldn't have eventually blown it. The bottom line is if your gonna run your car hard (turbo, NOS) then you should be prepared for the worst case scenario...blown engine. I would go with HRC's suggestion and not go over 10psi.
As far as you seeing any more power from pistons & rods the answer is no, not directly. The extra power comes from the ability to safely run more boost. Your building strength not power with a bottom end. All the power is made in the top end (intake, head, induction). Just my $.02. I didn't mean to come across like an ass if I was.
Joe
97 GS w/ Hahn stage 2
Keep cruisin' & keep the shiny side up.
http://joeseclipse.homestead.com

Yeah I got two tens in the back...two ten pound bottles!!!!

Joe
97 GS w/ HRC stage 2 +

TeamJasonESi_TApr-03-01 08:30 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3107 posts,
#145, "nice answer..."
In response to Reply # 1

I think it was a good answer Joe. Far from being mean.

Every engine differs slightly in build quality. Earilier engines with the older head gasket are also more risky. But it's all just a numbers risk analysis. In the end, no one really knows what your engine can withstand boosting when the porper fuel needs are met except God and maybe the 420a gremlin.

Jason
98' Eagle Talon ESi-T
Mitsu Super 16g Turbo(HRC)/Custom FMIC

http://springfielddsm.homestead.com/JasonsPics.html

04' BMW 325Ci
91' Nissan 240SX
98' Eagle Talon ESi (sold)

99GSBBTurboApr-03-01 09:56 AM
Old School 2GNTer
1191 posts,
#146, "RE: nice answer..."
In response to Reply # 2

I would keep it between 5-7psi. That's what I'm doing untill I build up my bottom end. If your engine is old, or has a lot of miles on it then I would keep it at 5psi. My engine is new, I put the turbo on at 19,000 miles, but that still doesn't mean my engine can blow. Like BLKOUT said... be prepaired for the worst.

Ball Bearing Star Stage II
"Power is nothing without control"

I use to have a White 99 GS Sport with a Star Stage II Ball Bearing T3/T4 turbo...it was fun untill....well those who remember me know Oh Ya...this is what I have now... a 99' GSX...

magnusApr-03-01 01:51 PM
Old School 2GNTer
229 posts,
#147, "RE: how much boost is (really)safe with stock internals"
In response to Reply # 0

Thanks guys so ill stay @5 or 6 pounds until i do the internals....oh yeah do you have to bore anything when putting in new pistons and rods so they will fit. or will they just fit right up im speaking of the je pistions and cower rods

TeamJeff_99gsApr-03-01 03:00 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5473 posts,
#148, "RE: how much boost is (really)safe with stock internals"
In response to Reply # 4

pistons for the 420a come .020 over-bored if I am correct, so you will have to bore to match the pistons. Other than that, there is nothing else needed. Anyone correct me if I am wrong.

-Jeff
HRC Super 16G on the way!

http://gs.dsmpower.com

cyanApr-03-01 03:45 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2958 posts,
#149, "RE: how much boost is (really)safe with stock internals"
In response to Reply # 5

JE makes a .020 bore piston as well as the stock bore pistons (the overbored pistons are cheaper by about $100. i think this is accurate)

http://www.geocities.com/blue2gnt

1995 Eclipse GS - HRC Stage 2 - Retired.
2004 350z Enthusiast / 2008 Nissan Versa SL

99GSBBTurboApr-03-01 06:16 PM
Old School 2GNTer
1191 posts,
#150, "RE: how much boost is (really)safe with stock internals"
In response to Reply # 6

So how much would it cost to get your engine bored? Would it be cheaper then getting the stock bored pistons??

Ball Bearing Star Stage II
"Power is nothing without control"

I use to have a White 99 GS Sport with a Star Stage II Ball Bearing T3/T4 turbo...it was fun untill....well those who remember me know Oh Ya...this is what I have now... a 99' GSX...

HadesOmegaApr-03-01 07:59 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4529 posts,
#151, "RE: how much boost is (really)safe with stock internals"
In response to Reply # 7

Hmm so it would be safer to replace a gasket with a thicker lower compression gasket?

http://www.hadesomega.info -car specz and movies 95 Eclipse RS | 76' 280Z | 89' MR2 | 99 Neon | 91 Zephyr
Who sez FF can't drift?

96boostedRSTDec-14-09 06:59 PM
Member since Nov 08th 2007
29 posts,
#129035, "RE: how much boost is (really)safe with stock internals"
In response to Reply # 0

I ran 287hp on 10 lbs boost stock internals but upgraded fuel to 440cc injectors and converted to e-85 and 255 walbro and it runs great been running like this for 2 years now and no problems what so ever. bout to put my fully built engine in tho so... my engine will go in a diff eclipse. but works great for me!

285 horsepower/269. torque at 11 lbs boost(e-85tuned) stock internals.

AdministratorCODE4Dec-14-09 07:42 PM
Member since Nov 23rd 2003
2552 posts,
#129036, "RE: how much boost is (really)safe with stock internals"
In response to Reply # 9

Originally posted by 96boostedRST
I ran 287hp on 10 lbs boost stock internals but upgraded fuel to 440cc injectors and converted to e-85 and 255 walbro and it runs great been running like this for 2 years now and no problems what so ever. bout to put my fully built engine in tho so... my engine will go in a diff eclipse. but works great for me!

1. Use correct sentence structure and punctuation.

2. Do not let me catch you bumping a post from 2001 again.

3. Check your PM.

---

2012 2500HD LML

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #143 Previous topic | Next topic