Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #138702
View in linear mode

Subject: "I need some help. " Previous topic | Next topic
420grenAdeJul-30-16 11:32 AM
Member since Jul 18th 2011
1 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#138702, "I need some help. "

First let me start off with I'm a gear head but I seem to be having a really hard time with this problem.

I replaced my cams with crower stage 2 3/4 race cams on my 420a. I also replaced the springs with the recommendations from the cam shaft manufacturer. Everything is installed and the timing is set correctly (verified).

The problem I am having is that I can start the car and go for a drive. Within about 20-30 min of driving or just running I lose cylinders #1 and #2. I verified this by pulling spark plugs and saw two were cleaner than the others. Then the car becomes I drivable obviously.

The next day I decide to start it to see if I have anything still going one and the car starts great and runs for the same timeframe then I lose 2 cylinders again. This is the same way for about 4 days now. It will run then start to fail.

Today I noticed a check engine light and decided to get a code reader to see if I have a sensor fault. The only code I had was for the fuel tank pressure (gas cap). So I cleared it and the car still ran like crap after the first 30 min of running. I have no other fault codes. I'm not even getting a misfire code.

Spark and fuel must be good becuase it did run normal for the first 30 min.

I'm at a lose and have no idea where to go from here. Have any of y'all seen this problem before or could give me suggestions? Thanks guys.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

bluespunkJan-18-17 12:35 PM
Member since Apr 08th 2008
98 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list facebook
#138703, "RE: I need some help. "
In response to Reply # 0

Originally posted by 420grenAde
Spark and fuel must be good becuase it did run normal for the first 30 min.

Not necessarily. Fuel pumps can drop pressure after running for a while when they first start to go bad. Without a way to monitor fuel pressure, it's tough to tell. Ignition coils sometimes do the same thing, though I'd think you'd have a misfire light for that. You can test your coil with a multimeter. I think someone made a youtube video showing how to test one for the 420a at some point. I'd check over your wires to make sure you're not arcing, test your coil, and do a compression and or leak down test for peace of mind. After that, I'd get a fuel pressure tester and watch your fuel pressure.

My build: verttuner.com (hosted on my blog)

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #138702 Previous topic | Next topic