Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #138695
View in linear mode

Subject: "Intermittent Stalling Problem" Previous topic | Next topic
Vendoreclipsen22May-25-16 07:01 PM
Member since Feb 07th 2011
5 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#138695, "Intermittent Stalling Problem"

I have a 1995 eclipse 420a engine m/t. I'm having a problem with the car stalling while at idle and driving. Its been in the shop for a month trying to duplicate the problem while on a scanner/computer. What happens when driving is that the cluster lights come on and the car stalls. I lose only the tach and speedo but everything else stays on (fuel gauge,temp gauge & radio). The only way i can keep it running again while driving is to push in the clutch and cycle the key off and back on. Then the tach and speedo comes back and the car keeps running. The shop found the trans output speed sensor going off then kicking the ASD relay off. They changed the sensor ($300 dollars later) and I'm still having the same problem. Any help will be appreciated.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

DirtMegirtMay-25-16 07:39 PM
Old School 2GNTer
205 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#138696, "RE: Intermittent Stalling Problem"
In response to Reply # 0

I had the same issues you described. I had a second 95 ecu that I swapped in and no more shut offs. 95 ecu's are notoriously problematic. If you can get your hands on another, I would try that and see what happens.

DirtMegirt
Wiki Contributor

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneMay-26-16 10:20 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14937 posts,
#138697, "RE: Intermittent Stalling Problem"
In response to Reply # 1

Seconded. This sounds like an ECU issue.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

Vendoreclipsen22Jun-01-16 03:50 PM
Member since Feb 07th 2011
5 posts,
#138699, "RE: Intermittent Stalling Problem"
In response to Reply # 2

This is the 2nd one. I ordered it from afx howell automotive. The oem one that came with car was not letting me start the car unless you tapped on computer with something. then you would here all the relays click on and then you can start the car. So i replaced it with this p.o.s. and now it starts but either stalls right away or while driving.

ModeratorCorbinJul-20-16 05:57 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2552 posts,
#138700, "RE: Intermittent Stalling Problem"
In response to Reply # 3
Jul-20-16 05:59 PM by Corbin

1995 ECU's are definitely prone to internal issues. I've had three bad ones over the years. Two lost traces for the front O2 sensor input. One would intermittently lose the power supplied to the crank sensor (among others). If I went over a bump, the car would stall. It would usually restart after a few attempts (sometimes not). I hooked the OBDII reader up to the car while it was stalled and check the output of every sensor. I eventually found some sensors with zero output that should not have been zero. Then I probed the harness and found that the power to the sensors was dead. My fix was to build a separate circuit to supply power to those sensors and keep using the broken ECU.

Corbin
'97 GSX dressed like a '95 ESi

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #138695 Previous topic | Next topic