Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #138673
View in linear mode

Subject: "Turbo and starter clearance issues" Previous topic | Next topic
mreigleFeb-20-16 09:30 AM
Member since Jun 21st 2006
426 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#138673, "Turbo and starter clearance issues"

I am installing a 62/62 precision turbo and it is rubbing on the starter. Does anyone have experience with using a different starter that will allow for more clearance for a turbo?

I searched and could not find anything related to the topic.

Thank you 2GNT community for your help.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Turbo and starter clearance issues, mreigle, Feb-20-16 06:00 PM, #1
RE: Turbo and starter clearance issues, J, Feb-20-16 08:13 PM, #2
      RE: Turbo and starter clearance issues, mreigle, Feb-22-16 07:53 PM, #3
           RE: Turbo and starter clearance issues, ModeratorCorbin, Mar-06-16 08:11 AM, #4
                RE: Turbo and starter clearance issues, mreigle, Mar-07-16 03:31 PM, #5
RE: Turbo and starter clearance issues, mreigle, May-01-16 09:03 AM, #6

mreigleFeb-20-16 06:00 PM
426 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#138674, "RE: Turbo and starter clearance issues"
In response to Reply # 0

I did some research and found that the 03'-05' Neon 2.0L starter will give lots of clearance and looks to be a match.

I am going to install tomorrow.

I will follow up as to if it melts under the manifold.

As always thanks to Terry and the other 2GNT gods for the space.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

JFeb-20-16 08:13 PM
Old School 2GNTer
794 posts,
#138675, "RE: Turbo and starter clearance issues"
In response to Reply # 1

Interested to hear how it goes...

- J

mreigleFeb-22-16 07:53 PM
426 posts,
#138676, "RE: Turbo and starter clearance issues"
In response to Reply # 2
Feb-22-16 07:55 PM by mreigle

I got it installed but can't fire it up due to fuel lines being disconnected for a new plenum install. I can say it fit perfectly.

Eclipse starter:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sz45g1w4yikrhn6/space_old.JPG?dl=0

It took minor work on the wiring but I didn't find it necessary to route the wires from between the Turbo and the starter.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w7dob82obx7swgo/Space_new.JPG?dl=0

The true test is when I turn the motor over with it. That will be in a few weeks.

I haven't put the lower radiator pipe in yet. I figure I will have to alter it anyway for best fitment.

ModeratorCorbinMar-06-16 08:11 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2552 posts,
#138677, "RE: Turbo and starter clearance issues"
In response to Reply # 3

Very interesting. Is the big solenoid present on the new starter, but not visible in the picture? Or is it just internal on the new starter?

Corbin
'97 GSX dressed like a '95 ESi

mreigleMar-07-16 03:31 PM
426 posts,
#138678, "RE: Turbo and starter clearance issues"
In response to Reply # 4

The solenoid is at the top rather than the side.

mreigleMay-01-16 09:03 AM
426 posts,
#138684, "RE: Turbo and starter clearance issues"
In response to Reply # 0

Sorry for the delay. I have been delayed running parts to the powdercoater and other misc things.

The starter works great!

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #138673 Previous topic | Next topic