Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #138661
View in linear mode

Subject: "megasquirt for sale" Previous topic | Next topic
ben_davisFeb-04-16 08:08 PM
Member since Mar 10th 2011
14 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#138661, "megasquirt for sale"

Just came across this on ebay. do you more experienced members know if this will work fine? will I have to change anything? Also is the version pretty up to date?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/281925619315?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: megasquirt for sale, Moderatorxcasbonx, Feb-05-16 06:57 AM, #1
RE: megasquirt for sale, ben_davis, Feb-05-16 08:23 AM, #2
      RE: megasquirt for sale, Moderatorxcasbonx, Feb-05-16 01:29 PM, #3
           RE: megasquirt for sale, ben_davis, Feb-05-16 02:44 PM, #4
                RE: megasquirt for sale, ModeratorCorbin, Feb-06-16 06:22 PM, #5
                     RE: megasquirt for sale, ben_davis, Feb-06-16 08:21 PM, #6

ModeratorxcasbonxFeb-05-16 06:57 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2874 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#138662, "RE: megasquirt for sale"
In response to Reply # 0

It will work, but you're going to need to do a lot of homework to get it running on your car. It's not as simple as a plug and play unit. You will need tuning software (Tunerstudio) as well for your laptop to tune the car.

If you're not very familiar with the EFI system on these cars, you may be overwhelmed with the complexity at first. You just need to do your research and homework.

I contributed to the Wiki.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

ben_davisFeb-05-16 08:23 AM
14 posts,
#138663, "RE: megasquirt for sale"
In response to Reply # 1
Feb-05-16 08:26 AM by ben_davis

Thank you for the reply. I guess I should have better worded my question. I'm aware that I will need to splice into my sensors and that I will need to use tuner software. My question was more for the box itself. Is it a complete unit? Will I need to solder more stuff in to make it work for our 420a application, seeing how it was setup for a SRT. Is this like the Symtech Megasquirt? Also would you guys chance buying a used Megasquirt unit?

ModeratorxcasbonxFeb-05-16 01:29 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2874 posts,
#138664, "RE: megasquirt for sale"
In response to Reply # 2
Feb-05-16 01:29 PM by xcasbonx

It appears to be a complete unit, and yes basically the same thing as a Symtech. It's also a plus that it includes the 7-8' harness. With all the detailed pictures it would lead me to believe it is working unit.

Obviously, there is always risk involved in buying used stuff however. Doesn't seem to be the case here though.

I contributed to the Wiki.

ben_davisFeb-05-16 02:44 PM
14 posts,
#138665, "RE: megasquirt for sale"
In response to Reply # 3

Thank you very much! Also from my understanding I can run this along side my ecu, correct? I don't want to delete it yet as this will be a daily driver and I need a/c and all the goodies.

ModeratorCorbinFeb-06-16 06:22 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2552 posts,
#138666, "RE: megasquirt for sale"
In response to Reply # 4

You can certainly set your car up to switch between stock ECU and MS ECU. I got spare connectors from a junkyard for the fuel injector harness, coil pack, and IAC. I also used GM weatherpack connectors to switch control of A/C, sensor power, and alternator. That let me switch back to stock for emissions testing or just part of the system if troubleshooting. I was going to say that I would be scared to buy a used MegaSquirt. You could spend months trying to decide if your problem is hardware, software, or tuning. I thought better of it after realizing that I took the same risk in building my own MegaSquirt. One bad solder joint, bad firmware update, or wrong data entry and I could have been chasing my tail. Jump in the pit and be ready to claw your way out.

Corbin
'97 GSX dressed like a '95 ESi

ben_davisFeb-06-16 08:21 PM
14 posts,
#138667, "RE: megasquirt for sale"
In response to Reply # 5

Appreciate the info. I've decided to wait up and buy ms3. I wanted to buy this unit and send it to Symtech to upgrade to ms3, but the price will be the same if I do that. ill just save my pennies and buy it later down the road

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #138661 Previous topic | Next topic