Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #138648
View in linear mode

Subject: "Hi-Flow Cat Turns Lo-Flow" Previous topic | Next topic
ModeratorCorbinNov-07-15 08:32 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2552 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#138648, "Hi-Flow Cat Turns Lo-Flow"

I've noticed a weird metallic rattle at idle. I thought it was just the exhaust or a heat shield. It got noticeably louder and I stuck my head under the car to see where it was coming from. It was coming from the catalytic converter area, but when I put my foot on the cat to stabilize it the sound continued. I also found tiny white flecks coming out of the exhaust. Removing the cat today, I see that my 3" hi-flow cat is not living up to its name:

The rear section of the honeycomb broke free and turned sideways. It almost completely blocks the outlet. I bet the car is going to run a lot better with a new cat.

Corbin
'97 GSX dressed like a '95 ESi

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

AdministratorCODE4Nov-07-15 08:49 AM
Member since Nov 23rd 2003
2552 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#138649, "RE: Hi-Flow Cat Turns Lo-Flow"
In response to Reply # 0

Was it a name brand cat or an eBay special? Mileage/age of the cat? I know you have emissions of n your area, but maybe a drop in test pipe for the other 364 days of the year is in order

---

2012 2500HD LML

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

JNov-07-15 04:36 PM
Old School 2GNTer
794 posts,
#138650, "RE: Hi-Flow Cat Turns Lo-Flow"
In response to Reply # 1

+1 on a test pipe, no question about it!

ezNov-08-15 02:27 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3461 posts,
#138651, "RE: Hi-Flow Cat Turns Lo-Flow"
In response to Reply # 2

That's a new one! Sounds like a drop in performance wasn't what you noticed initially, that's crazy because it's almost entirely blocked.

2gnt: '99 RS-T, killed by a toyota, pending rebuild...
Daily: Volt
Daily #2: '99 EVG ebike- STOLEN by PEDRO

ModeratorCorbinNov-08-15 02:33 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2552 posts,
#138652, "RE: Hi-Flow Cat Turns Lo-Flow"
In response to Reply # 2

It was a Magnaflow cat that I've had about 8 years. I've had good luck with that brand with mufflers, but I am disappointed with the cat failure. It might have seen a little more vibration than a stock vehicle, but not abuse. I bought the identical part number again and will hope to get at least 8 years out of it. I do need to pass emissions. I am also a closet greenie.

Corbin
'97 GSX dressed like a '95 ESi

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #138648 Previous topic | Next topic