Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #138646
View in linear mode

Subject: "95 talon drinking engine oil" Previous topic | Next topic
bigwill96Nov-06-15 06:53 PM
Member since Nov 05th 2015
2 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#138646, "95 talon drinking engine oil"

Just recently picked a very clean and straight 95 talon NT when i bought it, it supposedly had the following work done to it...
wisco 10.5:1 pistons
eagle rods
.1mm over valves
Crower springs titanium retainers
Crower 268 cams
Arp studs
It is not holding oil what so ever just picked it up a week ago so clearly dont know much history it does run rich but in process of leaning it out but i changed the oil about a week ago checked today and she needed every bit of a quart and a half. But had steady oil pressure until today usually when cold atleast 65psi. When warm/ warmed up (with 5 quarts of oil) low 40s is the lowest but up too 50 at 185 degree is normal. Keep in mind thats with full amount of oil. Like i said ijust purchased this now to be nightmare and oil guage just started acting up today i saw around 20 on ride home and knew she needed oil just so strange i did it the night i got it and i just couldnt believe every bit of a quart and a half gone in under a week and it does not leak or drip abit...
So where im getting to i dont want a $2000 mechanic bill clearly needs rings? Possibly bearings? LIke i said new to the car world so any thoughts to what might be happening what i need to fix it and so on thanks everyone!

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

ModeratorCorbinNov-07-15 08:09 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2552 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#138647, "RE: 95 talon drinking engine oil"
In response to Reply # 0

I would drive it for another week and see if it consistently loses the same amount of oil. If it is not dripping oil, then it is eating it. It could be slipping past the piston rings or valve stem seals. Both have been modified, so we can't assume either was done correctly. If they did not install the oil control rings correctly (lowest groove on piston), then you will burn oil and leave a pretty consistent smoke behind you. It can be light enough that you won't notice it yourself. You need someone to follow you. This happened to me on my first build. The piston company forgot to include a support that went below the oil control rings (pistons had the pin moved up high enough that it cut into the lower groove for oil control rings). I installed the standard three oil control rings, but the lack of support let them move around and leak. Installing the support fixed the problem. If there is an issue with the valve stem seals, I believe that vacuum in the intake manifold at idle will draw oil in from the head. You'll leave a cloud of smoke as soon as you accelerate away from idle, but it will clear as you load the engine up. I have not experienced this myself. Again, it helps if someone follows you. Check that out and then do a compression test. If you find one cylinder way low, you will have something to focus on.

Corbin
'97 GSX dressed like a '95 ESi

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

bigwill96Nov-09-15 04:30 PM
Member since Nov 05th 2015
2 posts,
#138653, "RE: 95 talon drinking engine oil"
In response to Reply # 1

Originally posted by Corbin
I would drive it for another week and see if it consistently loses the same amount of oil. If it is not dripping oil, then it is eating it. It could be slipping past the piston rings or valve stem seals. Both have been modified, so we can't assume either was done correctly. If they did not install the oil control rings correctly (lowest groove on piston), then you will burn oil and leave a pretty consistent smoke behind you. It can be light enough that you won't notice it yourself. You need someone to follow you. This happened to me on my first build. The piston company forgot to include a support that went below the oil control rings (pistons had the pin moved up high enough that it cut into the lower groove for oil control rings). I installed the standard three oil control rings, but the lack of support let them move around and leak. Installing the support fixed the problem. If there is an issue with the valve stem seals, I believe that vacuum in the intake manifold at idle will draw oil in from the head. You'll leave a cloud of smoke as soon as you accelerate away from idle, but it will clear as you load the engine up. I have not experienced this myself. Again, it helps if someone follows you. Check that out and then do a compression test. If you find one cylinder way low, you will have something to focus on. Corbin '97 GSX dressed like a '95 ESi

Thanks for the reply Corbin been driving for the last few days like you said and from me adding it eats about a half quart every 50 miles. when warm is when I notice I drop down around 25-30psi on the oil pres. gauge and it smokes the worst when im about to pull out from a dead stop that's when you really see white.. Idle is hazing but then again its running rich so I'm sure that has some play in the matter. Compression test this week will keep posted thanks again for quick reply!

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #138646 Previous topic | Next topic