Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #138633
View in linear mode

Subject: "timing belt misalignment finally fixed" Previous topic | Next topic
ModeratorVX100Sep-06-15 06:03 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2831 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#138633, "timing belt misalignment finally fixed"

My timing belt was misaligned, hanging over the edge of the cam gear, which was causing the belt to wear prematurely.

The guy in this video had the same problem. I don't have any photos available but this shows the problem I had. https://youtu.be/XnPuq5Ct0z4 see at about 2:00 and that is what my belt looked like https://youtu.be/XnPuq5Ct0z4?t=2m The way he solved it wasn't what I did. (he used shims, as he had a problem even after using a new mechanical tensioner)

I just replaced the bracket that holds the tensioner arm and pulley, and that did the trick. Belt actually moved to the other side of the cam gear.

I'm not certain if the old bracket/tensioner arm was worn out (someone at the shootout mentioned the arm could have a notch worn into it, mine did not),

or because the two bolts holding the bracket were very, very easy to loosen. I don't remember ever loosening them, but they were certainly not at torque spec.

So if you have a similar problem, try checking the bracket's bolts.

"Tutto fa brodo."

Todd Scungio
98 RS
15.173 @ 90.70 MPH

And also a 2011 Ralliart

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #138633 Previous topic | Next topic