Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #138628
View in linear mode

Subject: "Pulling more power other than going Turbo or Built motor" Previous topic | Next topic
burlgoat53Aug-19-15 11:20 AM
Member since Aug 19th 2015
2 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#138628, "Pulling more power other than going Turbo or Built motor"

Hi, know this is an ongoing topic but here goes..

I have all the basic bolt-on's (exhaust/headers/CAI) and was considering going the Turbo route but didn't wanna spend the big money for it so my question is:

Would porting the manifold and TB and possibly the Head with a set of cams give me anymore HP out the motor or even be beneficial? I would jus like to see somemore HP out of it without spending 3k+ to make a difference. Its not a DD also but drives perfectly

Any ideas are greatly appreciated

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

ModeratorCorbinAug-26-15 10:43 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2552 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#138629, "RE: Pulling more power other than going Turbo or Built motor"
In response to Reply # 0

My opinion would be that porting the intake manifold has a poor hp/$ ratio unless you have a very modified engine. Big throttle bodies mostly just trick you into thinking you gained power. Pushing on the pedal 15%, allows 25% airflow. At 75% pedal, you might get 100% airflow. That's great until you push the pedal down 100% and still only get 100% airflow. If your fully open TB was not a significant restriction for your engine demands, then all you do is make the car feel faster at part throttle. If you go too big, the throttle will be hard to modulate at low speeds. A more aggressive cam can have a good hp/$ ratio. If you are willing to trade idle quality and emissions for high RPM power, cams are a good choice. If you gain power at high RPM, you will usually lose some at low RPM. If you choose a conservative cam, you often don't notice any loss down low. It is just a moderate gain everywhere that counts. Cams are expensive though and often require heavier springs. Installing springs would generally mean removal of the head. As long as you had the head off, you should probably get a valve job since your engine probably has a some miles on it. It starts to add up quickly and the hp/$ ratio gets worse.

Corbin
'97 GSX dressed like a '95 ESi

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

burlgoat53Aug-26-15 10:52 AM
Member since Aug 19th 2015
2 posts,
#138630, "RE: Pulling more power other than going Turbo or Built motor"
In response to Reply # 1

Thanks for the info!!! Jus didn't know any other options other than going all out with the motor...

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #138628 Previous topic | Next topic