Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #138618
View in linear mode

Subject: "intake manifold basic calculation" Previous topic | Next topic
MAHI2014Jul-04-15 06:52 AM
Member since Jun 20th 2015
2 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list facebook
#138618, "intake manifold basic calculation"

i wanna design intake manifold for diesel engine for genset application.
i won't have any cae software so i need basic design calculation for intake manifold.

none

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

ModeratorCorbinJul-15-15 06:57 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2552 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#138619, "RE: intake manifold basic calculation"
In response to Reply # 0

There was a point in my life where I wanted to design and build an intake manifold for my 420A. I searched all over online for formulas. I even transferred in a manifold design text book from my alma mater (VA Tech). After reading hundreds of pages of theory, it became apparent that there are two approaches. The first is use a few basic principles, common sense, and dyno several manifold designs to determine the best fit for your particular engine and needs. The second is to use sophisticated, proprietary software to design several manifolds and dyno them to determine the best fit for your particular engine and needs. A real engine is complex and unique enough that simple formulas only get you in the ballpark and software needs exceptional data to arrive at anything better. You could beat the subject to death with formulas and software only to find that your design is mediocre. In the end, you have to build several best effort manifolds and test them on your particular engine. If you want books, find Design Techniques for Engine Manifolds: Wave Action Methods for IC Engines by Winterbone and Introduction to Internal Combustion Engines by Stone. The Winterbone book is more theory than formulas regular people can apply. The Stone book only touches on manifolds for a few pages, but does have some simple formulas. See if your local library can transfer in books from a local university with an engineering department.

Corbin
'97 GSX dressed like a '95 ESi

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #138618 Previous topic | Next topic