Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #138600
View in linear mode

Subject: "Keep throwing PS belt" Previous topic | Next topic
QC DSM ESiTMay-14-15 03:37 PM
Donating 2GNT member
765 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#138600, "Keep throwing PS belt"

Hey guys, it's been quite some time since I've posted but I've had this problem for years now and since I'm driving the Talon a lot more now I figured I'd get down to solving this problem. Whenever I take the car up to very high RPM usually in 1st or 2nd. I'm talking near redline and at full 9PSI of boost. I will throw my PS belt. This belt is tensioned by the PS itself as I've removed the AC and I'm still running my OEM crank pully. It's the shorter belt which is K050405 or 5050405 depending on manufacturer. I've made sure everything is aligned right and it's almost always a belt that is only a few months old at the most. I've been having this problem for years now and I'm getting tired of buying new belts (I should put a big thing of tie wire around the belt to catch it when it throws it off the car, haha) so I figured maybe you guys have had some solutions. Every once and a while I'll get lucky and notice it right away and the belt will still be hanging out on the crank pulley if that helps for solutions at all. I have an underdrive pulley laying around I could throw on if you think it might help. :

I contributed to the wiki!

95 Eagle Talon ESi-T (BACK FROM THE DEAD!)
98 Dodge Neon R/T
93 Saab 900 Turbo Commemorative Editon #86 of 325 (sold)
95 Volkswagen GTI VR6 (saved from crusher)(sold)

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

TheRedBarrenMay-26-15 06:55 PM
Member since Oct 02nd 2007
61 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#138601, "RE: Keep throwing PS belt"
In response to Reply # 0

Get a Goodyear Gatorback belt, that solved my belt issues. I was having the same problem. Also double check the tension on it.

-RedBarren
1995 Eclipse RS

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Vendoreclipsen22May-25-16 06:26 PM
Member since Feb 07th 2011
5 posts,
#138694, "RE: Keep throwing PS belt"
In response to Reply # 0

If its a 420a motor there is black round solid metal cylinder (like a bump stop) with a 2 bolt flange that mounts to the right motor mount near the strut tower. I had the same problem. When i looked at my mount all that was left were pieces of the broken flange under the mounting bolts.

Gruff511Jul-25-16 08:32 PM
Member since Aug 06th 2011
203 posts,
#138701, "RE: Keep throwing PS belt"
In response to Reply # 0

i had this issue also, turns out the crankshaft pulley wasnt pushed in all the way so it was slightly out of align. It might look like its aligned by eye but it was off by a hair so at high rpm's it would come off. i lost so many ps belts i was going to get rid of the ps all together. i just used an impact gun on the crank pulley(even though thats frowned upon) to tighten it down more.
Also maybe the pulley the belt rides on is bent.

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #138600 Previous topic | Next topic