Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #138554
View in linear mode

Subject: "Desperate help needed!" Previous topic | Next topic
DsmEvo87Feb-24-15 11:01 AM
Member since Feb 24th 2015
3 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#138554, "Desperate help needed!"

Dear all,

Hope somebody can help me out with my dillema, I have an 97 eclipse gs.

My problem is very strange, car cuts off randomly and wont start back up, car just cranks cranks and cranks but nothing usually if let off by @ 5 mins fires right back up but only to randomly cut off back.

Have 2 CEL vehicle speed sensor, and timing belt skipped 1 or multiple teeth but had these for awhile now.

Awhile back I replaced cam & map sensor and the fuel pump this "cured" the issue for about a month but recently started acting up again I have a feeling that maybe its the fuel pump relay?

Any help would really appreciate it!

Thx in advance

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Desperate help needed!, John99RS, Mar-02-15 10:14 AM, #1
RE: Desperate help needed!, John99RS, Mar-02-15 10:15 AM, #2
      RE: Desperate help needed!, DsmEvo87, Mar-02-15 05:26 PM, #3
           RE: Desperate help needed!, ModeratorCorbin, Mar-04-15 07:08 PM, #4
                RE: Desperate help needed!, John99RS, Mar-08-15 04:39 PM, #5
                RE: Desperate help needed!, DsmEvo87, Mar-14-15 06:31 PM, #6

John99RSMar-02-15 10:14 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1191 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list facebook
#138556, "RE: Desperate help needed!"
In response to Reply # 0

May or may not be your problem but make sure you check the crank sensor on the back of the block. When I bought my car brand new it would randomly cut out on me. After the dealer had it for a couple weeks they found if the crank sensor was bumped or wiggled, the car would shut off. Replaced it and never had a problem in 17 years.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3130861

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

John99RSMar-02-15 10:15 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1191 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list facebook
#138557, "RE: Desperate help needed!"
In response to Reply # 1
Mar-02-15 10:15 AM by John99RS

Sorry, forgot to check the date!! Feel like a new guy now...haha.

DsmEvo87Mar-02-15 05:26 PM
3 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#138558, "RE: Desperate help needed!"
In response to Reply # 2

Thank you sir for your input, tested another friends relay (fuel pump and asd) didnt cut out on me yet!

I do have a new crank sensor coming in next week, been searching the forums ( @ page 40 atm ) lots of info and lots of similiar problems sadly.

ModeratorCorbinMar-04-15 07:08 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2552 posts,
#138559, "RE: Desperate help needed!"
In response to Reply # 3

Hopefully, it was the relay. I had a similar problem with a 1995 ESi. It would randomly die on me while cruising, often after going over a bump. It would then fire right up and run perfectly for a month. I got used to just putting the clutch in and restarting the engine while coasting. No big deal. Then it started doing it weekly. A few times, I had to push the car off the road. I would crank and crank. It would make zero effort to start, like there was no spark and fuel. Then it fired right up like nothing happened. Finally, it died during rush hour on a divided highway. I tried everything to get it going, but eventually had to call a tow truck. Then it started in my f'ing driveway! I eventually figured out that the ECU trace that supplies power to the crank sensor was burned up and supplying an intermittent connection. Without a crank signal, the ECU would not supply spark or fuel. I installed a couple external voltage regulators to supply 9V and 5V power to the sensors and that fixed it. I eventually bought a rebuilt ECU for a proper fix.

Corbin
'97 GSX dressed like a '95 ESi

John99RSMar-08-15 04:39 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1191 posts,
#138562, "RE: Desperate help needed!"
In response to Reply # 4

Yeah, they actually replaced my ECU first, but then found out it was the sensor.

DsmEvo87Mar-14-15 06:31 PM
3 posts,
#138563, "RE: Desperate help needed!"
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by Corbin
Hopefully, it was the relay. I had a similar problem with a 1995 ESi. It would randomly die on me while cruising, often after going over a bump. It would then fire right up and run perfectly for a month. I got used to just putting the clutch in and restarting the engine while coasting. No big deal. Then it started doing it weekly. A few times, I had to push the car off the road. I would crank and crank. It would make zero effort to start, like there was no spark and fuel. Then it fired right up like nothing happened. Finally, it died during rush hour on a divided highway. I tried everything to get it going, but eventually had to call a tow truck. Then it started in my f'ing driveway! I eventually figured out that the ECU trace that supplies power to the crank sensor was burned up and supplying an intermittent connection. Without a crank signal, the ECU would not supply spark or fuel. I installed a couple external voltage regulators to supply 9V and 5V power to the sensors and that fixed it. I eventually bought a rebuilt ECU for a proper fix. Corbin '97 GSX dressed like a '95 ESi

do appreciate all input, well it happend again.. was cruising the whole day stopped at a family members house for like 30 mins went back fired up for like 2 seconds then died.. tried restarting and nothing just cranks like described (no fuel/spark) I went to the relays messed with them for a few seconds then it fired back like nothing happend :/ beeb going strong for two days now.

got the new crank and relay will fit in the upcoming days.. everyday seems like an adventure with the car with the constant thought of "will it start, will it die on me" ohh the joy of a dsm owner :,)

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #138554 Previous topic | Next topic