Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #138540
View in linear mode

Subject: "Tips on replacing front main seal with oil pump on block?" Previous topic | Next topic
ezFeb-04-15 11:03 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3461 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#138540, "Tips on replacing front main seal with oil pump on block?"

My block is leaking from both the rear main seal and a cam seal, so I want to replace all seals at once (don't know if the front is leaking too). I have never done this with a front main - I'm wondering if it's feasible with the crank sticking right through the center of it. Not sure how awkward that would be to pry it out. I already bought the seal, and it's a lot smaller than I remember!

2gnt: '99 RS-T, killed by a toyota, pending rebuild...
Daily: Volt
Daily #2: '99 EVG ebike- STOLEN by PEDRO

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

DirtMegirtFeb-07-15 08:44 AM
Old School 2GNTer
205 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#138542, "RE: Tips on replacing front main seal with oil pump on block?"
In response to Reply # 0

How difficult removing the front seal with the crank in the way would be, i dont have any idea. However the Miller tool for installing the seal assumes the pump and crank are installed in/on the block. It has a tapered sleeve that fits over the snout and allows the seal to be pressed into the pump housing with the larger sleeve and bolt. Im sure there are ways to install the seals without the special tools, but i would recommend them as they make the install about as fool-proof as possible. The front seal miller tool is part # 6780.

DirtMegirt
Wiki Contributor

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

ezFeb-09-15 09:19 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3461 posts,
#138548, "RE: Tips on replacing front main seal with oil pump on block?"
In response to Reply # 1

I love using tools made for the job. But when they cost $80, and they will do ONE thing that you may do ONCE every half decade, and a properly sized deep socket will do the same thing... money talks.

I'm wondering if supergluing a nail to the seal will pull it off.

ezFeb-17-15 11:56 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3461 posts,
#138553, "RE: Tips on replacing front main seal with oil pump on block?"
In response to Reply # 2

I have become an expert at this now. For cam seal, front main seal, and rear main seal, the easy way is to take a 3/32 drill bit and carefully drill into the middle of the seal. Then screw in a wood screw, and use it to pull/pry off the seal. It's fast, easy, and does not risk damaging the inner or outer surface.

Th3DooMMar-29-15 07:51 AM
Member since Jan 11th 2013
18 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list facebook
#138581, "RE: Tips on replacing front main seal with oil pump on block?"
In response to Reply # 3

Thank you for that advise. I'm about to replace those seals, too.

420a in Europe

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #138540 Previous topic | Next topic