Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #138506
View in linear mode

Subject: "2g goes into open loop sporadically on partial throttle, no boost" Previous topic | Next topic
ezNov-09-14 09:55 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3461 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#138506, "2g goes into open loop sporadically on partial throttle, no boost"

I've had this issue for a year now, where the ECU would go into open loop and then dumps fuel (AFR <11) on partial throttle acceleration or intermittently when cruising above 80mph. It will continue to stay in this rich condition indefinitely until I ease off the throttle. This can occur under stock atmospheric conditions (intercooler pipes disconnected, all MAP voltage clamping devices removed, basically a stock setup as far as the ECU is concerned).

Car drives fine otherwise. No hickups/stumbling. New MAP, O2 front sensor, TPS, coolant sensor, VSS.

I have been logging via the OBDII port. My logger states that the car goes into open loop because of "engine load/deceleration." This is not the same open loop state as when I start the car ("warm up" open loop).

I've logged the engine load parameters and the engine is not even over 40% load when the switch to open loop occurs. The vehicle never did this before even at much higher engine loads. I checked the contributors to engine load calculations (RPM and MAP readings) and they are not showing any noise. I checked the OBDII speed output and it says the VSS is constant when the switch to open loop occurs (I wanted to make sure noise in the VSS signal was not causing the switch to open loop).

In short, I cannot find a single parameter that changes when the ECU decides it's time to go into open loop. I have no idea what could be precipitating this. The only sensors I have not replaced are the cam, crank, and ping sensors. But I see no evidence that they are at fault.

It's REALLY annoying. Any ideas?

2gnt: '99 RS-T, killed by a toyota, pending rebuild...
Daily: Volt
Daily #2: '99 EVG ebike- STOLEN by PEDRO

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

ezDec-01-14 12:10 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3461 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#138516, "RE: 2g goes into open loop sporadically on partial throttle, no boost"
In response to Reply # 0

Updating this one for the archives-

Problem resolved after repairing an exhaust leak. Unbelievable.

4 of the 8 exhaust mani bolts on the HRC manifold were broken. Replaced them with studs and now the open-loop/rich issue is completely gone.

Deja vu from this thread: http://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=138185&mode=full

Lesson learned from both these events: Exhaust leaks anywhere between the engine and 2nd O2 sensor can cause rich conditions via 1)gradual enriching of mixture (seen at steady high rpms, i.e. freeway speeds) 2) transition to open loop (seen on acceleration/shifting/freeway speeds). Apparently the leaks alter front/rear O2 sensor readings in such a way that a "mystery code" is triggered in the ECU.

2gnt: '99 RS-T, killed by a toyota, pending rebuild...
Daily: Volt
Daily #2: '99 EVG ebike- STOLEN by PEDRO

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #138506 Previous topic | Next topic