Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #138482
View in linear mode

Subject: "Burning aux. fan fuses" Previous topic | Next topic
ezSep-14-14 11:46 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3461 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#138482, "Burning aux. fan fuses"

...in case lurkers still visit the site...

I keep losing the 20A auxiliary fan fuse. Not sure why, all the wiring looks fine. I can remove the relay and use a jumper to start the fan just fine (Flex-a-lite slim line fans). So it looks like the fan is okay, and the wiring is okay. Can a relay go bad and internally short out? I didn't have my voltmeter handy so could not perform additional diagnosing. Any ideas?

Only discovered this because my temps go up to 220 in traffic now, from the typical 198-202F. That stupid OEM temp gauge doesn't budge past the middle though.

2gnt: '99 RS-T, killed by a toyota, pending rebuild...
Daily: Volt
Daily #2: '99 EVG ebike- STOLEN by PEDRO

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

eclipse982nrRSTSep-16-14 07:56 AM
Member since Mar 16th 2004
6314 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#138483, "RE: Burning aux. fan fuses"
In response to Reply # 0
Sep-16-14 07:56 AM by eclipse982nrRST

You can jump the relay and the fan still works, but that doesn't mean that the fans aren't pulling more than 20amps (intermittently)

-MIKE-

Stroked 2.2L

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

ezSep-16-14 09:16 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3461 posts,
#138484, "RE: Burning aux. fan fuses"
In response to Reply # 1

Good point. Let me add a little bit more to this though. I have found out that the fuse only burns out when I turn on the A/C. My A/c doesn't work anyway. However, the aux fan turns on when the a/c is on OR when the ECU decides it should go on for another reason (which, I presume, would be when my coolant temp reaches 222). SO, apparently, the ECU is NOT turning on the aux fan on its own. Or maybe... it can't. There are two relays for the aux fan. One is for low, the other high. But how these work for a single speed slim-line fan, I have no idea. Is there a separate fuse for the other relay? I can't find it in my fuse box. Azdave says fuse 9 applies to aux fan in an old thread, but I don't know where that is. The 20a fuse that pops is a tiny blade fuse, unlike the huge fuse I see for the driver side main fan.

now... where is that fsm...

eclipse982nrRSTSep-17-14 08:15 AM
Member since Mar 16th 2004
6314 posts,
#138485, "RE: Burning aux. fan fuses"
In response to Reply # 2

Fuse 9 (20a) in the engine fuse block is the correct fuse for the condenser fan hi and low speeds. Correct. There is no separate fuse for it. There is, however, a splice in that circuit where it split to both relays before going into the fuse block. Your assumption to my knowledge is correct, that fan should kick on when an A/C request is sent to the ECM, and also when your coolant temp reaches 220+ degrees. So, with that being said, since you say the fuse pops when you send an A/C request, there should be a problem between the fuse block and the relay. Possible short to ground, or even, that fan motor. To rule out the fan motor, I would simply get a 20a fuse with a jumper hooked it to, jump the relay while on the fan circuit, and see if it pulls more than 20a and blows your fuse.

-MIKE-

Stroked 2.2L

ezSep-18-14 08:15 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3461 posts,
#138486, "RE: Burning aux. fan fuses"
In response to Reply # 3

I first checked the wiring for faults, but did not find any issues. Then I attempted something along the lines of what you were saying - to basically hotwire the fan - and now the fan turns very slowly with a grumbling sound and the wire got hot quick before any fuses blew. So I ordered another FAL motor from summit. Also bought some heat reflective tape for the metal circle backing of the FAL fan, and wiring. Hope it's not to difficult to switch out.

Thanks for your input!

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #138482 Previous topic | Next topic