Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #138477
View in linear mode

Subject: "intercooler pusher vs puller" Previous topic | Next topic
TurbchargdSpydrSep-03-14 10:45 PM
Member since Jul 25th 2010
159 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#138477, "intercooler pusher vs puller"

After installing a bigger fmic, I've been having really bad heat soak at idle/slow speeds and it's causing overheating. My AC condenser has a giant hole in it so I figured I would remove it and it will provide a more open path for air to travel through the radiator. Also I bought 2 12" fans that I want to install on said giant intercooler. My question is, should I make them puller fans attached to the intercooler or pusher fans attached to the side of the radiator facing the intercooler? Thanks in advance!

Last of a dying breed...

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

TurbchargdSpydrSep-04-14 05:15 AM
Member since Jul 25th 2010
159 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#138478, "RE: intercooler pusher vs puller"
In response to Reply # 0

I know that puller fans are generally better. I just want to verify that having 2 pullers on the intercooler and 1 puller on the radiator is better than just 2 pullers on the intercooler... If I only have 2 pullers on the intercooler, is there enough pressure to make it to the radiator, or is it just going to dissipate before it ever gets to the radiator?

Last of a dying breed...

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

JSep-04-14 07:55 AM
Old School 2GNTer
794 posts,
#138479, "RE: intercooler pusher vs puller"
In response to Reply # 1

Can't answer your question as I still have my condenser, but I will mention that using insulation to make a fan shroud can make a world of difference... forcing air through instead of allowing it flow around.

- J

ModeratorCorbinDec-07-14 07:19 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2552 posts,
#138521, "RE: intercooler pusher vs puller"
In response to Reply # 1

My opinion would be that a reasonably constructed FMIC will not cause overheating if you have a properly sized radiator and radiator fan. Do you have a non-stock radiator and/or fan? Focus your fan efforts on the radiator. Your best fan (highest CFM) should be pulling through the radiator. If you can get two badass fans pulling through the radiator, that is best. The stock fans are big, but move a lot of air. Most slim aftermarket fans pale in CFM comparison. You have to hunt around a bit to match the stock flow. The only reason to even think about a pusher is if there is absolutely no way to get a puller on the engine side of the radiator (as you said, flow drops off badly by configuring a fan to push rather than pull). If you still have overheating problems at that point, you need to consider your radiator choice, fan choice, or possible engine problems.

Corbin
'95 ESI-T

Now with more power and fewer leaks

Humble servant of the Wiki

DstachDec-01-14 11:02 AM
Member since Dec 04th 2010
276 posts,
#138519, "RE: intercooler pusher vs puller"
In response to Reply # 0

Don't put a pusher facing the inter cooler from the back side. A pusher must be in front of what you want to cool and a puller much by on the back side. If done the other way, you will blow a fuse when you start to drive as the air coming in from in front of the car will lock the fan motor up.

-----
99 Eclipse gs (Daily)
89 Honda Crx (Drag car project)

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #138477 Previous topic | Next topic