Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #138452
View in linear mode

Subject: "2.4 with hahn turbo kit" Previous topic | Next topic
VendorRed90SevJul-14-14 02:51 AM
Member since Aug 28th 2010
261 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#138452, "2.4 with hahn turbo kit"

I already have almost all of these parts and wanted to build a mild little drag car for the track since the shell I got was pretty much trashed by the previous owner. So, I was wondering if anyone had this type of setup or if I would have any unforeseen issues... Using my 95 shell, I was going to throw in my 99 2.4 edz with srt4 rods/pistons, and Hahn's 16g turbo kit with Portfueler. With the Srt rods and pistons, would I be able to just use the stock 420a injectors as my primaries, or would I need slightly larger? I planned to tune boost conditions with my spare 440cc or 490cc injectors for secondaries on the portfueler since the SplitSec software is so easy to tune... Any input would be great. I already know about all the 2.4 swap info, so I don't need help there. Here's a list of mods, please point out anything that would be problematic if you have had any experience. I'm hoping it won't be a total dog with that low of compression, but more than likely will I'm sure... Thanks fellas!

99 2.4 eds short block
srt4 rods/pistons
ported and polished head w/1mm OS Valves
Crower stage 2 na cams
Crower valvetrain
SBI rockers/lashers
AEM cam gears
3.94 trans with rebuild obx lsd
Hahn S16g kit
Stock 235cc primary injectors?????
440cc or 490cc injectors for secondary portfueler
Walbro 255
pump rewire
Aeromotive 1:1

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: 2.4 with hahn turbo kit, TheRedBarren, Jul-14-14 05:22 PM, #1
RE: 2.4 with hahn turbo kit, VendorRed90Sev, Jul-14-14 07:05 PM, #2
      RE: 2.4 with hahn turbo kit, TheRedBarren, Jul-15-14 12:20 PM, #3
           RE: 2.4 with hahn turbo kit, VendorRed90Sev, Jul-15-14 06:54 PM, #4
                RE: 2.4 with hahn turbo kit, Gruff511, Jul-20-14 09:55 PM, #5
                     RE: 2.4 with hahn turbo kit, VendorRed90Sev, Aug-23-14 10:12 PM, #6
                          RE: 2.4 with hahn turbo kit, mreigle, Feb-06-15 06:50 PM, #7

TheRedBarrenJul-14-14 05:22 PM
Member since Oct 02nd 2007
61 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#138453, "RE: 2.4 with hahn turbo kit"
In response to Reply # 0

Why not go for a 3.55 neon tansmission? It is much better with the 2.4 build especially if you will be running boost later. You can stay in your power band longer than the 3.94 gear set.

Also, as far as I know AEM only makes 2.0 cam gears. However you can use them with the edz but you need to make or buy spacers.

-RedBarren
1995 Eclipse RS

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

VendorRed90SevJul-14-14 07:05 PM
261 posts,
#138454, "RE: 2.4 with hahn turbo kit"
In response to Reply # 1

Originally posted by TheRedBarren
Why not go for a 3.55 neon tansmission? It is much better with the 2.4 build especially if you will be running boost later. You can stay in your power band longer than the 3.94 gear set. Also, as far as I know AEM only makes 2.0 cam gears. However you can use them with the edz but you need to make or buy spacers.

I do have a 3.55, but I'm waiting to rebuild it so it's the 3.94 for now. And yes, the AEM gears I listed were for my 420a build, listed them by accident. I'll be using a set of mpx gears for the 2.4. So you think the 420a injectors will be fine with the primaries on the 2.4? Also, will the srt rod/piston combo be too low of compression to idle correctly with the stock ecu and the crower 2's?

TheRedBarrenJul-15-14 12:20 PM
Member since Oct 02nd 2007
61 posts,
#138455, "RE: 2.4 with hahn turbo kit"
In response to Reply # 2

Originally posted by Red90Sev
Originally posted by TheRedBarren Why not go for a 3.55 neon tansmission? It is much better with the 2.4 build especially if you will be running boost later. You can stay in your power band longer than the 3.94 gear set. Also, as far as I know AEM only makes 2.0 cam gears. However you can use them with the edz but you need to make or buy spacers.
I do have a 3.55, but I'm waiting to rebuild it so it's the 3.94 for now. And yes, the AEM gears I listed were for my 420a build, listed them by accident. I'll be using a set of mpx gears for the 2.4. So you think the 420a injectors will be fine with the primaries on the 2.4? Also, will the srt rod/piston combo be too low of compression to idle correctly with the stock ecu and the crower 2's?

I think the stock injectors will be fine especially since your just using them NA for now. That's what people stick with when just swapping the 2.4. Crower 2's are not that radical of a cam.. they almost idle like stock for me with a slight lope but I am on megasquirt. You would honestly just need to try idling with the stock ECU to find your answer.

-RedBarren
1995 Eclipse RS

VendorRed90SevJul-15-14 06:54 PM
261 posts,
#138456, "RE: 2.4 with hahn turbo kit"
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by TheRedBarren
Originally posted by Red90Sev
Originally posted by TheRedBarren Why not go for a 3.55 neon tansmission? It is much better with the 2.4 build especially if you will be running boost later. You can stay in your power band longer than the 3.94 gear set. Also, as far as I know AEM only makes 2.0 cam gears. However you can use them with the edz but you need to make or buy spacers.
I think the stock injectors will be fine especially since your just using them NA for now. That's what people stick with when just swapping the 2.4. Crower 2's are not that radical of a cam.. they almost idle like stock for me with a slight lope but I am on megasquirt. You would honestly just need to try idling with the stock ECU to find your answer.

I'll give it a shot. I'm not going to be running it NA, I'm just slapping everything together and running it.

Gruff511Jul-20-14 09:55 PM
Member since Aug 06th 2011
203 posts,
#138457, "RE: 2.4 with hahn turbo kit"
In response to Reply # 4

A drag car? so what are you using to control timing? you can only do so much with portfueler. might as well use that money for megasquirt. if you were able to do the 2.4l swap yourself then ms wouldnt be to difficult for you.

VendorRed90SevAug-23-14 10:12 PM
261 posts,
#138476, "RE: 2.4 with hahn turbo kit"
In response to Reply # 5

Originally posted by Gruff511
A drag car? so what are you using to control timing? you can only do so much with portfueler. might as well use that money for megasquirt. if you were able to do the 2.4l swap yourself then ms wouldnt be to difficult for you.

I already have all the stuff so I'm just going it with what I have for the time being. As far as timing, all stock ecu, I'll be running 110 and listening for knock. I'm thinking mid to low 20psi ish will be fine with 110 at that low of compression (srt 8:1 CR) MS2 is going to go on eventually. I just need it running now with the path of least resistance since I have three other cars I'm working on. I really want to get familiar with Megasquirt...

mreigleFeb-06-15 06:50 PM
Member since Jun 21st 2006
426 posts,
#138541, "RE: 2.4 with hahn turbo kit"
In response to Reply # 6

I would check the timing marks on the AEM cam gears and make sure they match up with your stock gears. I seem to remember them being etched at the peak instead of the valley.

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #138452 Previous topic | Next topic