Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #138392
View in linear mode

Subject: "'05 Stratus block and MegaSquirt" Previous topic | Next topic
mgleason007May-29-14 06:02 AM
Member since May 18th 2014
16 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#138392, "'05 Stratus block and MegaSquirt"

So after further research, it appears that the '05 block from the Stratus I pulled has the crank sensor in the wrong spot, making it worthless, at least for the stock ECU.

So, I'm sure I have a lot more research to do, but can someone confirm that I'll be able to use this block if I go with MegaSquirt? TIA

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: '05 Stratus block and MegaSquirt, Moderatorxcasbonx, May-29-14 06:57 AM, #1
RE: '05 Stratus block and MegaSquirt, mgleason007, May-29-14 07:08 AM, #2
      RE: '05 Stratus block and MegaSquirt, Moderatorxcasbonx, May-29-14 07:44 AM, #3
           RE: '05 Stratus block and MegaSquirt, mgleason007, May-29-14 10:12 AM, #4
                RE: '05 Stratus block and MegaSquirt, AdministratorCODE4, May-29-14 06:06 PM, #5
                     RE: '05 Stratus block and MegaSquirt, mgleason007, May-29-14 06:13 PM, #6
                          RE: '05 Stratus block and MegaSquirt, AdministratorCODE4, May-29-14 06:43 PM, #7
                               RE: '05 Stratus block and MegaSquirt, mgleason007, May-29-14 06:51 PM, #8
                               RE: '05 Stratus block and MegaSquirt, mgleason007, Jun-14-14 03:14 PM, #9
                                    RE: '05 Stratus block and MegaSquirt, AdministratorCODE4, Jun-14-14 03:16 PM, #10
                                         RE: '05 Stratus block and MegaSquirt, mgleason007, Jun-14-14 03:20 PM, #11

ModeratorxcasbonxMay-29-14 06:57 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2874 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#138395, "RE: '05 Stratus block and MegaSquirt"
In response to Reply # 0

Originally posted by mgleason007
So, I'm sure I have a lot more research to do, but can someone confirm that I'll be able to use this block if I go with MegaSquirt? TIA

Yes you could still go Megasquirt. Not quite sure what you mean by the crankshaft position sensor is in the wrong spot, however.

I contributed to the Wiki.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

mgleason007May-29-14 07:08 AM
16 posts,
#138399, "RE: '05 Stratus block and MegaSquirt"
In response to Reply # 1

Originally posted by xcasbonx
Not quite sure what you mean by the crankshaft position sensor is in the wrong spot, however.

The crankshaft position sensor is on the front of the block, rather than back by the oil filter.

ModeratorxcasbonxMay-29-14 07:44 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2874 posts,
#138401, "RE: '05 Stratus block and MegaSquirt"
In response to Reply # 2

Either way that shouldn't matter to Megasquirt. It just needs the proper connection/wiring to communicate.

I contributed to the Wiki.

mgleason007May-29-14 10:12 AM
16 posts,
#138405, "RE: '05 Stratus block and MegaSquirt"
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by xcasbonx
Either way that shouldn't matter to Megasquirt. It just needs the proper connection/wiring to communicate.

Thanks. I was hoping that it would just be a problem for the stock ECU. I wasn't looking forward to pulling another block.

AdministratorCODE4May-29-14 06:06 PM
Member since Nov 23rd 2003
2552 posts,
#138406, "RE: '05 Stratus block and MegaSquirt"
In response to Reply # 4

The 05 2.4 block is not the same as the 02 and earlier design. Read up on the articles and threads on this as the blocks usable is outlined.

As far as megasquirt recognizing that crank trigger pattern, you are on your own as I am not sure if anyone here has used a late 2.4 block for the swap. The 2GNT head does not bolt up regardless, as the oil drain hole was changed as well. So unless you are planning on using the head that originally came with the block, you might as well toss it.

---

2012 2500HD LML

mgleason007May-29-14 06:13 PM
16 posts,
#138407, "RE: '05 Stratus block and MegaSquirt"
In response to Reply # 5

Originally posted by CODE4
The 2GNT head does not bolt up regardless, as the oil drain hole was changed as well. So unless you are planning on using the head that originally came with the block, you might as well toss it.

It does bolt up, but are you telling me that something internally will keep me from using it?

AdministratorCODE4May-29-14 06:43 PM
2552 posts,
#138408, "RE: '05 Stratus block and MegaSquirt"
In response to Reply # 6

Pardon me, it will physically bolt up, but if you examine the oil drain ports and lay a 2GNT head gasket on the 05 block, you will see what I am referring to as far as usability.

---

2012 2500HD LML

mgleason007May-29-14 06:51 PM
16 posts,
#138409, "RE: '05 Stratus block and MegaSquirt"
In response to Reply # 7

Pardon me, it will physically bolt up, but if you examine the oil drain ports and lay a 2GNT head gasket on the 05 block, you will see what I am referring to as far as usability.

Well crap. There's no way I'm going to use the backwards Stratus head. At least I have the right head, now I will have to get a different block. Thanks man.

mgleason007Jun-14-14 03:14 PM
16 posts,
#138434, "RE: '05 Stratus block and MegaSquirt"
In response to Reply # 7

Alright, so I took the '05 block back after taking off the tensioner, and got a short block from a '01 PT Cruiser non-turbo. I hope that I'm finally on the right track.

Every FSM you could need: http://www.mediafire.com/?9biig6zdk4j3x

Originally posted by Fallen4ng31
There is no such thing as owning too many tools.

AdministratorCODE4Jun-14-14 03:16 PM
2552 posts,
#138435, "RE: '05 Stratus block and MegaSquirt"
In response to Reply # 9

If you do all the necessary homework prior to buying parts you will not need to return/buy parts twice.

---

2012 2500HD LML

mgleason007Jun-14-14 03:20 PM
16 posts,
#138436, "RE: '05 Stratus block and MegaSquirt"
In response to Reply # 10

If you do all the necessary homework prior to buying parts you will not need to return/buy parts twice.

Yes, the Wikipedia article on this block is far from comprehensive. At least the block was already nearly ready to come out. It only took about an hour and a half to get it out.

Every FSM you could need: http://www.mediafire.com/?9biig6zdk4j3x

Originally posted by Fallen4ng31
There is no such thing as owning too many tools.

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #138392 Previous topic | Next topic