Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #138390
View in linear mode

Subject: "3inch Downpipe options for Hahn 16g turbo." Previous topic | Next topic
AFrostyStrangerMay-29-14 05:13 AM
Member since May 28th 2014
19 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#138390, "3inch Downpipe options for Hahn 16g turbo."
May-29-14 06:11 AM by AFrostyStranger

I own a 1998 eclipse with the Hahn 16g turbo and the normal 2.25 inch downpipe that came with the kit. After waiting to hear from Hahn for about two weeks (its their busy season apparently) the person i spoke with told me that they do no do much work with aftermarket applications for the 420A anymore and no longer offer their 3 inch downpipe for the 16/20g turbos they use. Is there any other option other than having one custom made? Other than the current downpipe, the exhaust on the car is a custom made full 3 inch system and i really want full 3 inch from the turbo back. Thanks in advance for the help!

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: 3inch Downpipe options for Hahn 16g turbo., Moderatorxcasbonx, May-29-14 05:48 AM, #1
RE: 3inch Downpipe options for Hahn 16g turbo., AFrostyStranger, May-29-14 06:03 AM, #2
      RE: 3inch Downpipe options for Hahn 16g turbo., Moderatorxcasbonx, May-29-14 06:51 AM, #3
           RE: 3inch Downpipe options for Hahn 16g turbo., AFrostyStranger, May-29-14 06:57 AM, #4
                RE: 3inch Downpipe options for Hahn 16g turbo., Moderatorxcasbonx, May-29-14 07:02 AM, #5
                     RE: 3inch Downpipe options for Hahn 16g turbo., AFrostyStranger, May-29-14 07:05 AM, #6
                          RE: 3inch Downpipe options for Hahn 16g turbo., Moderatorxcasbonx, May-29-14 07:38 AM, #7
                               RE: 3inch Downpipe options for Hahn 16g turbo., AFrostyStranger, May-29-14 07:47 AM, #8
                                    RE: 3inch Downpipe options for Hahn 16g turbo., Moderatorxcasbonx, May-29-14 09:20 AM, #9
                                         RE: 3inch Downpipe options for Hahn 16g turbo., AFrostyStranger, May-29-14 09:26 AM, #10
                                              RE: 3inch Downpipe options for Hahn 16g turbo., AFrostyStranger, Jun-02-14 10:25 AM, #11
                                                   RE: 3inch Downpipe options for Hahn 16g turbo., eclipse982nrRST, Jun-02-14 01:35 PM, #12
                                                        RE: 3inch Downpipe options for Hahn 16g turbo., AFrostyStranger, Jun-02-14 02:15 PM, #13
                                                             RE: 3inch Downpipe options for Hahn 16g turbo., Moderatorxcasbonx, Jun-02-14 02:25 PM, #14
                                                             RE: 3inch Downpipe options for Hahn 16g turbo., eclipse982nrRST, Jun-02-14 03:59 PM, #15

ModeratorxcasbonxMay-29-14 05:48 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2874 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#138391, "RE: 3inch Downpipe options for Hahn 16g turbo."
In response to Reply # 0

If you have a full custom exhaust, you're going to need a custom 3" downpipe to accommodate it. It is true what Hahn said, as the 420a platform continues to age, the more custom work will come into play.

Probably not what you want to read, but it is true.

I contributed to the Wiki.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

AFrostyStrangerMay-29-14 06:03 AM
19 posts,
#138393, "RE: 3inch Downpipe options for Hahn 16g turbo."
In response to Reply # 1
May-29-14 06:10 AM by AFrostyStranger

Yea, I figured I would have to go custom. Im going to contact the shop that made the custom exhaust and see what they can do about making a downpipe. I know it would really depend on the shop, but think i would need to buy the flange and gasket to bolt to the turbo or should a good shop be able to make one. If ill need to pick one up on my own, what flange is it fit the hahn turbos if you know. Hahn doesn't like to disclose information about their turbos.

1998 GS Hahn Turbo with Port fueler.
272hp 273tq at 17psi

ModeratorxcasbonxMay-29-14 06:51 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2874 posts,
#138394, "RE: 3inch Downpipe options for Hahn 16g turbo."
In response to Reply # 2

Originally posted by AFrostyStranger
Yea, I figured I would have to go custom. Im going to contact the shop that made the custom exhaust and see what they can do about making a downpipe. I know it would really depend on the shop, but think i would need to buy the flange and gasket to bolt to the turbo or should a good shop be able to make one. If ill need to pick one up on my own, what flange is it fit the hahn turbos if you know. Hahn doesn't like to disclose information about their turbos.

It certainly wouldn't be a bad idea to get the flange for the shop if you can instead of them having to make one, they would most likely outsource that part as well anyway. It would probably save you money as well if you had the flange for them and say here...this is what I want.

I'm assuming you have the 3 bolt flange for your current downpipe connection. You could find one of those that would accommodate 3" pipe. Or you could find some sort of adapter for 3-bolt to v-band and have a your custom downpipe fitted with a v-band flange.

If it were me I would find the adapter and go with a v-band option.

AFrostyStrangerMay-29-14 06:57 AM
19 posts,
#138396, "RE: 3inch Downpipe options for Hahn 16g turbo."
In response to Reply # 3

I forgot about the V-Band. That would be best i think. Yes it is the 3 bolt.

272hp 273tq at 17psi

ModeratorxcasbonxMay-29-14 07:02 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2874 posts,
#138397, "RE: 3inch Downpipe options for Hahn 16g turbo."
In response to Reply # 4

I forgot about the V-Band. That would be best i think. Yes it is the 3 bolt.

Boom, there you go then. 3" 3-bolt adaptor to v-band, then a 3" v-band flange for the downpipe.

http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=ATP-FLS-030&Category_Code=ATP-FLS1

http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=tp&Product_Code=ATP-FLS-012&Category_Code=ATP-FLS1

AFrostyStrangerMay-29-14 07:05 AM
19 posts,
#138398, "RE: 3inch Downpipe options for Hahn 16g turbo."
In response to Reply # 5
May-29-14 07:28 AM by AFrostyStranger

I was litteraly just looking at that.

I also foun this.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kinugawa-3-034-V-Band-Turbo-Dump-Pipe-Adapter-TRUSTs-3-Bolt-type-TD06-20G-T67-25G-/181407245779?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

This one seems to be a complete setup. Think that would work? Trying to get all my ducks in a row before i go buying stuff.

272hp 273tq at 17psi

ModeratorxcasbonxMay-29-14 07:38 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2874 posts,
#138400, "RE: 3inch Downpipe options for Hahn 16g turbo."
In response to Reply # 6

Looks like that would work.

AFrostyStrangerMay-29-14 07:47 AM
19 posts,
#138402, "RE: 3inch Downpipe options for Hahn 16g turbo."
In response to Reply # 7

Cool. Just ordered it. Thanks for the info!!!

272hp 273tq at 17psi

ModeratorxcasbonxMay-29-14 09:20 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2874 posts,
#138403, "RE: 3inch Downpipe options for Hahn 16g turbo."
In response to Reply # 8

Cool man. Glad to help. Be sure to share your progress with us on the downpipe conversion when the time comes.

Btw, nice looking 98 GS.

AFrostyStrangerMay-29-14 09:26 AM
19 posts,
#138404, "RE: 3inch Downpipe options for Hahn 16g turbo."
In response to Reply # 9

I definitely will.

You also. Not many clean 2g's around anymore.

272hp 273tq at 17psi

AFrostyStrangerJun-02-14 10:25 AM
19 posts,
#138412, "RE: 3inch Downpipe options for Hahn 16g turbo."
In response to Reply # 10

Little update. Went to the exhaust shop on Friday. While down there we determined that due to how close the turbo sits to the AC comp, i will either need to lose the AC or replace the turbo manifold for one that offsets the turbo toward the driver side. Since i would like to keep as much factory equipment on the car as possible i have opted for the manifold replacement.

I found this manifold on ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GSP-ECLIPSE-420A-DOHC-T3-FLANGE-T3-T4-2-0L-CAST-IRON-TURBO-MANIFOLD-PERFORMANCE-/260862039881?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

Any opinions, concerns, input, suggestions?

Going to suck redoing the inter cooler piping.

272hp 273tq at 17psi

eclipse982nrRSTJun-02-14 01:35 PM
Member since Mar 16th 2004
6314 posts,
#138413, "RE: 3inch Downpipe options for Hahn 16g turbo."
In response to Reply # 11

I had a manifold identical to that one that came with the Star kit years ago, I fabricated my own 3" downpipe and it did work with p/s and a/c.

-MIKE-

Stroked 2.2L

AFrostyStrangerJun-02-14 02:15 PM
19 posts,
#138414, "RE: 3inch Downpipe options for Hahn 16g turbo."
In response to Reply # 12

Cool. Thanks. BTW your setup looks amazing!

272hp 273tq at 17psi

ModeratorxcasbonxJun-02-14 02:25 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2874 posts,
#138415, "RE: 3inch Downpipe options for Hahn 16g turbo."
In response to Reply # 13

That will work.

eclipse982nrRSTJun-02-14 03:59 PM
Member since Mar 16th 2004
6314 posts,
#138416, "RE: 3inch Downpipe options for Hahn 16g turbo."
In response to Reply # 13

Cool. Thanks. BTW your setup looks amazing!

Yup NP and Thanks.

-MIKE-

Stroked 2.2L

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #138390 Previous topic | Next topic