Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #138374
View in linear mode

Subject: "car dies when i test fcd " Previous topic | Next topic
TurbchargdSpydrMay-18-14 10:13 PM
Member since Jul 25th 2010
159 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#138374, "car dies when i test fcd "

Exactly as the title states, can anyone explain to me why my car dies when i go to read the voltage from my fcd when the engine is on? When the engine is off, i can read it just fine. Please help, its the last step before i can finally finish my car :/ thanks...

Last of a dying breed...

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: car dies when i test fcd , Bluehaze420ars, May-19-14 12:48 PM, #1
RE: car dies when i test fcd , ez, May-19-14 10:30 PM, #2
      RE: car dies when i test fcd , TurbchargdSpydr, May-19-14 11:16 PM, #3
           RE: car dies when i test fcd , Bluehaze420ars, May-21-14 09:25 AM, #4
                RE: car dies when i test fcd , ez, May-22-14 12:04 AM, #5
                     RE: car dies when i test fcd , TurbchargdSpydr, May-22-14 09:55 AM, #6

Bluehaze420arsMay-19-14 12:48 PM
Member since Oct 13th 2013
11 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#138375, "RE: car dies when i test fcd "
In response to Reply # 0

What is your voltage set at and what year is the car? Should be set at 4.72v

Jj

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

ezMay-19-14 10:30 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3461 posts,
#138376, "RE: car dies when i test fcd "
In response to Reply # 1

When you "go to read your FCD", are you unplugging the output wire from the ECU? That would do it.

2gnt: '99 RS-T, killed by a toyota, pending rebuild...
Daily: Volt
Daily #2: '99 EVG ebike- STOLEN by PEDRO

TurbchargdSpydrMay-19-14 11:16 PM
159 posts,
#138377, "RE: car dies when i test fcd "
In response to Reply # 2

Originally posted by ez
When you "go to read your FCD", are you unplugging the output wire from the ECU? That would do it.

This all started because of p0106, and noticed this issue as I was diagnosing. Im not unplugging anything as far as I know. Could this be a bad connection between wires. If i were to check it with engine off, it reads just fine, but dies when i check with engine on. I setmy fcd to various voltages that stop fuel cut and currently its at 4.72v. No fuel cut but code comes on after a few starts. Sometimes it comes on right away. Any way i can test.the.fcd to see if its no good? Thanks for your help its much appreciated...

Last of a dying breed...

Bluehaze420arsMay-21-14 09:25 AM
Member since Oct 13th 2013
11 posts,
#138378, "RE: car dies when i test fcd "
In response to Reply # 3

What year is your car? I know a guy that builds low budget turbo kits in phoenix for the 420a, it's all he does. He only uses a fcd with 98 for some reason. He says you can do it with an afpr on any other year. I didn't believe it till I seen it. If your on Facebook look up 420a, Srt4 and edz group. Lots of guys on there that can help.

Jj

ezMay-22-14 12:04 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3461 posts,
#138381, "RE: car dies when i test fcd "
In response to Reply # 4

Did you wire in your fcd with good soldering or crimping? It's either wiring or the MAP sensor going bad, given your changing of voltages of the FCD isn't really changing anything. Starting the car and testing shouldn't do anything, unless by testing you are touching wires that have poor connections thus leading to broken circuits. Also make sure your battery cables are tight - if not, sometimes voltages to your sensors can be inadequate and cause funky behavior.

2gnt: '99 RS-T, killed by a toyota, pending rebuild...
Daily: Volt
Daily #2: '99 EVG ebike- STOLEN by PEDRO

TurbchargdSpydrMay-22-14 09:55 AM
159 posts,
#138382, "RE: car dies when i test fcd "
In response to Reply # 5

Originally posted by ez
Did you wire in your fcd with good soldering or crimping? It's either wiring or the MAP sensor going bad, given your changing of voltages of the FCD isn't really changing anything. Starting the car and testing shouldn't do anything, unless by testing you are touching wires that have poor connections thus leading to broken circuits. Also make sure your battery cables are tight - if not, sometimes voltages to your sensors can be inadequate and cause funky behavior.

YES, if touching wires with poor connections causes shorts, then that would explain the code also. I will reinstall it and get back to you guys. Thanks so much

Last of a dying breed...

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #138374 Previous topic | Next topic