Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #138179
View in linear mode

Subject: "Engine Misfiring Cannot Figure Out Why" Previous topic | Next topic
DiamobNov-07-13 07:43 PM
Member since Nov 28th 2006
19 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#138179, "Engine Misfiring Cannot Figure Out Why"

Hello,

It's been a loooong time since I've been an active member on this forum. It is good to be back however .

Anyways, to my issue... I have a non-turbo 98 GS with very little modifications done to it. One morning when I started it up it was running horribly, it sounded like a lawnmower. When I drove it around the block it lost so much power it almost stalled and during this period the CEL was flashing. The night before it was running fine, when I parked it all was well. I ran an OBII check and it came back with Random Misfires, Misfires on Cylinder 2 & 3, EVAP Leak Small & O2 Sensor. The leak and O2 codes I've had for years. What I've tried so far: I've replaced the Coil, Plugs & Wires and there was no change I have also looked high and low for vac leaks. I will be testing the voltage on the injectors tomorrow. My fuel pump and filter are relatively new.

I was wondering if anyone had suggestions to what this might be? My plugs were VERY fouled and I had replaced them only about 20K miles ago. Plugs on cylinder 2 & 3 were significantly more fouled than the other two. If anyone could point me in the right direction on how to proceed it would be appreciated. Thank you for your help.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

biteback1000Nov-10-13 12:18 AM
Member since Oct 26th 2006
25 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#138180, "RE: Engine Misfiring Cannot Figure Out Why"
In response to Reply # 0

Have you checked to see if the injectors are working correctly. you said the plugs for those two cylinder were fouled. can you explain a little more. were they blacked out ( burning oil or covered in or oil). Or were the tip white as in running extra lean. I had a misfire on my car but that way right before my head gasket was starting to leak.

Originally posted by Diamob
Hello, It's been a loooong time since I've been an active member on this forum. It is good to be back however . Anyways, to my issue... I have a non-turbo 98 GS with very little modifications done to it. One morning when I started it up it was running horribly, it sounded like a lawnmower. When I drove it around the block it lost so much power it almost stalled and during this period the CEL was flashing. The night before it was running fine, when I parked it all was well. I ran an OBII check and it came back with Random Misfires, Misfires on Cylinder 2 & 3, EVAP Leak Small & O2 Sensor. The leak and O2 codes I've had for years. What I've tried so far: I've replaced the Coil, Plugs & Wires and there was no change I have also looked high and low for vac leaks. I will be testing the voltage on the injectors tomorrow. My fuel pump and filter are relatively new. I was wondering if anyone had suggestions to what this might be? My plugs were VERY fouled and I had replaced them only about 20K miles ago. Plugs on cylinder 2 & 3 were significantly more fouled than the other two. If anyone could point me in the right direction on how to proceed it would be appreciated. Thank you for your help.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

aproductionsDec-17-13 10:05 PM
Member since Jul 15th 2013
4 posts,
#138230, "RE: Engine Misfiring Cannot Figure Out Why"
In response to Reply # 0

are the valve cover gasket spark plug holes leaking? Mine were and I had the same problem

Alex Romanishan

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #138179 Previous topic | Next topic