Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #138161
View in linear mode

Subject: "ECU swap" Previous topic | Next topic
frankenclipseRSOct-18-13 09:30 AM
Member since Oct 16th 2013
3 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#138161, "ECU swap"

Ok, so im starting my rebuild....

Can I swap/pinout my stock 97 420A ECU for a 99 black box ECU? Having trouble finding any info, instructions, pros/cons, etc...

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: ECU swap, Bluehaze420ars, Oct-18-13 09:44 AM, #1
RE: ECU swap, gingerw00ki3, Oct-18-13 09:51 AM, #2
RE: ECU swap, frankenclipseRS, Oct-18-13 10:10 AM, #3
      RE: ECU swap, gingerw00ki3, Oct-18-13 10:36 AM, #4
      RE: ECU swap, Fallen4ng31, Oct-18-13 02:31 PM, #5
           RE: ECU swap, frankenclipseRS, Oct-18-13 03:49 PM, #6
           RE: ECU swap, iNoise, Oct-19-13 12:58 PM, #7

Bluehaze420arsOct-18-13 09:44 AM
Member since Oct 13th 2013
11 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#138162, "RE: ECU swap"
In response to Reply # 0

Originally posted by frankenclipseRS
Ok, so im starting my rebuild.... Can I swap/pinout my stock 97 420A ECU for a 99 black box ECU? Having trouble finding any info, instructions, pros/cons, etc...

A 99 black box ecu is for a 4g63 so no it won't work on a 420a. You need a 420a ecu. If it's different years then you can rewire the pins but it's much easier to just find the same year ecu your car needs.

Jj

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

gingerw00ki3Oct-18-13 09:51 AM
Member since Jun 22nd 2012
15 posts,
#138163, "RE: ECU swap"
In response to Reply # 0

Hey man... Your best bet with dealing with that 420A is going to be finding a used megasquirt and someone that can help you load a stock map and tuning it for your car, or build one.

frankenclipseRSOct-18-13 10:10 AM
3 posts,
#138164, "RE: ECU swap"
In response to Reply # 2

yea... i got burnt on that one lol

I was a little undecided between MS and FIC. What's a MS go for used?
im on a budget, but im doing well as of yet.
The motor is torn down and im rebuilding the top end.
OBX 242/242 cams
-AEM cam gears
-2.4l lifters and rockers
-crane valve springs with titanium retainers
-cometic head gasket
-ARP head studs
also porting intake and TB.

im looking for a controller of some sort.... id like to learn a bit more about the AFX from howell.

gingerw00ki3Oct-18-13 10:36 AM
Member since Jun 22nd 2012
15 posts,
#138165, "RE: ECU swap"
In response to Reply # 3

I bought my MSIIv3 for my '78 Camaro with an LS2 swap into it for $250. (You can buy them new and assembled for like $500??) If you're not running boost or nitrous, which is an awesome application for the 420a (Nitrous anyway). Don't bother with the head studs... ARP bolts will do just fine (my 2c) A MSII will do just what you need... don't forget to either buy the stimulator or find someone that has one so you can test out the ECU functions... If you end up building your own... there is a lot cool extra features you can build into it. (Launch control, boost control, Nitrous safety's... shit like that) I've never been able to afford AEM ECU's (I'm sure they're really good though)

Fallen4ng31Oct-18-13 02:31 PM
Donating 2GNT member
370 posts,
#138166, "RE: ECU swap"
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by frankenclipseRS
id like to learn a bit more about the AFX from howell.

Here's all you need to know: Stay the hell away from Gary Howell. The man is a recalcitrant jerk-off with absolutely no regard for his customers. If you need more evidence to that end, just search.

1998 Eclipse RS-T - Totaled 4/23/09 -
1998 Eclipse GST - Stroked 2.3l, HX40 fed: Build in progress
2010 Subaru Outback Limited

I hate hipsters.

frankenclipseRSOct-18-13 03:49 PM
3 posts,
#138167, "RE: ECU swap"
In response to Reply # 5

Unfortunately that piece of advice is becoming increasingly common, which sucks because it sounded like a must have. I mean I have an extra 97 ecu I could send, but I'd rather not deal with any bs( other than from my 2g, which is par for the course....

iNoiseOct-19-13 12:58 PM
Member since Dec 17th 2009
47 posts,
#138168, "RE: ECU swap"
In response to Reply # 5

Originally posted by Fallen4ng31
Originally posted by frankenclipseRS id like to learn a bit more about the AFX from howell.
Here's all you need to know: Stay the hell away from Gary Howell. The man is a recalcitrant jerk-off with absolutely no regard for his customers. If you need more evidence to that end, just search.

This x's 10000000000

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #138161 Previous topic | Next topic