Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #138157
View in linear mode

Subject: "No P0420 code, but FAIL HC, CO, and NOx on smog?" Previous topic | Next topic
ezOct-16-13 08:16 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3461 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#138157, "No P0420 code, but FAIL HC, CO, and NOx on smog?"

I have the exact same setup as two years ago.

Two years ago, I was able to get the car to pass smog after reseting a P0420 code. I put the car on the rollers while hot, used 87 octane, stock plugs, tires inflated. Car passed and about two tanks later the P0420 code was back.

P0420 code has been on for essentially two years. Would always come on after resetting the computer by the end of the first tank of gas.

Tried an experiment, the internet rumor that you can soak a cat in detergent overnight and it will clean the carbon deposits off of your cat so that the code will disappear. My cat core was not melted, so I figured give it a shot.

Almost 1000 miles of driving, and NO P0420 code after the cleaning. So technically, that part works.

What didn't work, is that the car grossly polluted HC, CO, and NOx. Using stock plugs, car was hot, and 91 octane (with some residual e85 from previous tank). Yet I have no P0420 code.

Can anyone explain why? TIA

2gnt: '99 RS-T, killed by a toyota, pending rebuild...
Daily: Volt
Daily #2: '99 EVG ebike- STOLEN by PEDRO

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

SonicYanOct-22-13 10:11 PM
Old School 2GNTer
1560 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#138170, "RE: No P0420 code, but FAIL HC, CO, and NOx on smog?"
In response to Reply # 0

Hehe I've been driving around with a temporary permit. I assume you haven't passed smog yet either?

SonicYan aka Mikey
1997 Eclipse RS
Pinoy Reppin' SoCal 2GNT
Best: 16.35 @ 83.05 MPH

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

ezOct-23-13 01:56 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3461 posts,
#138171, "RE: No P0420 code, but FAIL HC, CO, and NOx on smog?"
In response to Reply # 1

Yea man, some things on this car still boggle my mind.

Sometimes speedometer doesn't work, but if I play with the battery cable, it works?

Both the dummy coolant gauge AND the scangaugeII reading of my coolant read 160 degrees periodically, then it will randomly go back up to the standard 195-200 temp again. Ugh.

No cat code. But FAILED HC/CO/NOx. Badly. WTFmang

2gnt: '99 RS-T, killed by a toyota, pending rebuild...
Daily: Volt
Daily #2: '99 EVG ebike- STOLEN by PEDRO

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #138157 Previous topic | Next topic