Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #138031
View in linear mode

Subject: "Where did you guys mount your oil cooler?" Previous topic | Next topic
VendorRed90SevJul-25-13 06:35 AM
Member since Aug 28th 2010
261 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#138031, "Where did you guys mount your oil cooler?"

I'm putting some finishing touches on my car and one last thing I have to do is put an oil cooler on it. I have ac, ps, and am turbo. I was going to mount it behind my Hahn fmic on the ac condenser. So it would be mounted on the front of the ac condenser and in front of my Fluidyne radiator, behind the Hahn fmic. The cooler Size is 3/4 inch x 7-1/2 inch x 12-1/2 inch. Would I have any issue with cooling if I have it mounted there? It seems that is my only option and wanted to know what you guys thoughts were before mounting it.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Where did you guys mount your oil cooler?, Moderatorxcasbonx, Jul-25-13 02:01 PM, #1
RE: Where did you guys mount your oil cooler?, VendorRed90Sev, Jul-25-13 06:42 PM, #2
      RE: Where did you guys mount your oil cooler?, Moderatorxcasbonx, Jul-25-13 07:06 PM, #3
           RE: Where did you guys mount your oil cooler?, VendorRed90Sev, Jul-25-13 08:06 PM, #4
                RE: Where did you guys mount your oil cooler?, SilvrEclips, Jul-26-13 07:47 AM, #5
                     RE: Where did you guys mount your oil cooler?, VendorRed90Sev, Jul-26-13 10:55 AM, #6
                     RE: Where did you guys mount your oil cooler?, SilvrEclips, Jul-29-13 07:51 AM, #7
                          RE: Where did you guys mount your oil cooler?, Gruff511, Jul-30-13 11:09 PM, #8
                               RE: Where did you guys mount your oil cooler?, ModeratorCorbin, Jul-31-13 06:34 PM, #9
                     RE: Where did you guys mount your oil cooler?, ez, Jul-31-13 07:45 PM, #10
                          RE: Where did you guys mount your oil cooler?, SilvrEclips, Aug-05-13 04:44 PM, #11
                               RE: Where did you guys mount your oil cooler?, Gruff511, Aug-05-13 06:57 PM, #12
                                    RE: Where did you guys mount your oil cooler?, ModeratorCorbin, Aug-07-13 06:39 PM, #13
                                         RE: Where did you guys mount your oil cooler?, Gruff511, Aug-08-13 04:11 AM, #14

ModeratorxcasbonxJul-25-13 02:01 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2874 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#138032, "RE: Where did you guys mount your oil cooler?"
In response to Reply # 0

I've read posts over the years of member mounting it where you are saying with no overheating issues.

If possible I would try to mount it on the lower left side where bumper opening is.

I contributed to the Wiki.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

VendorRed90SevJul-25-13 06:42 PM
261 posts,
#138034, "RE: Where did you guys mount your oil cooler?"
In response to Reply # 1

Originally posted by xcasbonx
I've read posts over the years of member mounting it where you are saying with no overheating issues. If possible I would try to mount it on the lower left side where bumper opening is.

That's where I was originally wanting to mount it, but it just doesn't look like there's any room. You are referring to the passenger side correct? I still have ac so it's pretty dang crowded over there.

ModeratorxcasbonxJul-25-13 07:06 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2874 posts,
#138035, "RE: Where did you guys mount your oil cooler?"
In response to Reply # 2

By left side I meant drivers side, as if you were in the drivers seat looking forward.

I contributed to the Wiki.

VendorRed90SevJul-25-13 08:06 PM
261 posts,
#138036, "RE: Where did you guys mount your oil cooler?"
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by xcasbonx
By left side I meant drivers side, as if you were in the drivers seat looking forward.

Gotcha. I have all my ic piping over there, but I'll look and see how much room I have.

SilvrEclipsJul-26-13 07:47 AM
Member since Nov 27th 2007
534 posts,
#138039, "RE: Where did you guys mount your oil cooler?"
In response to Reply # 4

Mounted mine on the side vents of the bumper

98 Eclipse GS Turbo
Built motor - MS2 - Holset hy35 - Zoom Stg 4 Clutch - 57.5mm TB - ARP Headstuds - Turbonetics wastegate - 3" Turbo back - FMIC - Greddy RZ BOV - Walbro 255 - 650cc Injectors - Fidanza Flywheel - Cobra calipers w/ 13" Rotors - Oil Cooler - DevilsOwn meth injection

1981 Chevy Scottsdale
1987 Nissan 300zx - Chump Car
2001 BMW 325i

VendorRed90SevJul-26-13 10:55 AM
261 posts,
#138041, "RE: Where did you guys mount your oil cooler?"
In response to Reply # 5

Originally posted by SilvrEclips

Do you still have ac? Also, what size is that cooler? Got any pics from the other side of how it's mounted and how the lines are mounted?

SilvrEclipsJul-29-13 07:51 AM
534 posts,
#138045, "RE: Where did you guys mount your oil cooler?"
In response to Reply # 6

I did have AC when this was installed. Ill PM you with more details.

98 Eclipse GS Turbo
Built motor - MS2 - Holset hy35 - Zoom Stg 4 Clutch - 57.5mm TB - ARP Headstuds - Turbonetics wastegate - 3" Turbo back - FMIC - Greddy RZ BOV - Walbro 255 - 650cc Injectors - Fidanza Flywheel - Cobra calipers w/ 13" Rotors - Oil Cooler - DevilsOwn meth injection

1981 Chevy Scottsdale
2001 BMW 325i

Gruff511Jul-30-13 11:09 PM
Member since Aug 06th 2011
203 posts,
#138051, "RE: Where did you guys mount your oil cooler?"
In response to Reply # 7

I too put mine behind the passenger side bumper opening. The cooler I used is about 7.5"x9.5" and it sits behind there with room to spare but I don't have my evap system there anymore.

ModeratorCorbinJul-31-13 06:34 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2552 posts,
#138052, "RE: Where did you guys mount your oil cooler?"
In response to Reply # 8
Jul-31-13 06:39 PM by Corbin

I put a brazed plate oil cooler in the driver's side scoop:

The A/C condenser is in the passenger's side scoop:

I had to put the radiator where the stock A/C condenser was and the downpipe where the stock radiator was. Fans were eventually put where the hood latch was. Hood latch is behind the driver's headlight now. Something about a snowball effect.

Corbin
'95 ESI-T

Now with more power and fewer leaks

Humble servant of the Wiki

ezJul-31-13 07:45 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3461 posts,
#138053, "RE: Where did you guys mount your oil cooler?"
In response to Reply # 5

Originally posted by SilvrEclips

Mine is in the exact same location.

2gnt: '99 RS-T, killed by a toyota, pending rebuild...
Daily: Volt
Daily #2: '99 EVG ebike- STOLEN by PEDRO

SilvrEclipsAug-05-13 04:44 PM
534 posts,
#138057, "RE: Where did you guys mount your oil cooler?"
In response to Reply # 10

Very interesting setup there Corbin. How does the AC function with the smaller condenser.

98 Eclipse GS Turbo

1981 Chevy Scottsdale
2001 BMW 325i

Gruff511Aug-05-13 06:57 PM
203 posts,
#138058, "RE: Where did you guys mount your oil cooler?"
In response to Reply # 11

Corbin how did you go about putting the condenser on the passenger side there? Which condenser did you use and how did you hook up lines? I'm been in need to relocate my A/C condenser since I need to have pusher fans and I NEED A/C so my windows don't fog up.

ModeratorCorbinAug-07-13 06:39 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2552 posts,
#138059, "RE: Where did you guys mount your oil cooler?"
In response to Reply # 12

The condenser is out of a 1980's Dodge/Mitsubshi Colt (the smallest one I could find). Good old Rock Auto had that. I put a little 10" fan on the condenser and have it connected to the stock A/C relay. I had custom flexible lines made by http://www.rayeveritt.com. I'm sure other places do that as well. I had http://www.docsblocks.com make an adapter to go from the stock A/C hard line to the custom flexible line. It looks like Doc's Blocks has been shut down by the parent company, but I'm sure other companies can do it. Worst case, you could hack off the fitting from the stock 420A condenser and braze on fittings to match the flexible hoses. I tried to do this first, but kept melting the fittings and finally had Doc's build it from scratch. There is a very fine line between melting the brazing rod and melting the aluminum base material. I used a Harbor Freight vacuum pump to pull the system down and refilled with parts store refrigerant using a manifold and gauge setup from somewhere online. It has held pressure for four years, so I think I did well. It puts out cold air and defogs windows quickly. My only real problem is making the A/C work with an aluminum flywheel and MegaSquirt running the stepper IAC. Even with the A/C idle up code, it will sometimes stall if I put the clutch in at 3,000 RPM to coast up to a stop light. I'm sure I could tune that out if I ever invested the time. I always seem to find something better to do.

Corbin
'95 ESI-T

Now with more power and fewer leaks

Humble servant of the Wiki

Gruff511Aug-08-13 04:11 AM
203 posts,
#138060, "RE: Where did you guys mount your oil cooler?"
In response to Reply # 13

Thanks for all the info Corbin! And I running MS3 with the stepper control also and I used to have the stalling problem when my A/C was on too but messing with the PID helped out A LOT it never stalls now.

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #138031 Previous topic | Next topic