Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #1365
View in linear mode

Subject: "sounds like a hoped up V8" Previous topic | Next topic
95TalonESIApr-27-01 12:25 PM
Old School 2GNTer
0 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1365, "sounds like a hoped up V8"

I just got finished changing the timing belt, water pump, bored the throttle body, and put an AFX underdrive pulley on my '95 Talon NT. When I started it up after I got her all back together, it misses out at idle real bad!! I have been told numerous times that it sounds like a V8 with a huge cam in it. At first, I thought the timing may be off just a little, but I had a very experienced mechanic do that part of it, but I did the rest myself. The car runs great from 3000 rpms and up, at any throttle position. If I try a mellow takeoff, it misses out real bad then too. I have checked all of the vacuume lines that I can find, and they are all entact. The "check engine" light stays on constantly. I haven't had time to take it in and have it hooked up to the computer at the shop, but I plan on doing that real soon. I was just curious to see if anyone else had any suggestions on what the problem is. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Nathan Shearn
"Turbo Bound"

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

JunoonApr-27-01 03:45 PM
Old School 2GNTer
122 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1366, "shall i say engine miss???"
In response to Reply # 0

check ur plugs and wires..... change the plugs... test the wires..

later

ENKEI RP02 17" x 7"
AF/X UDP (its here )
K&N Filter
which should be next? a performance muffler? or a set of springs/coilovers???

Junoon
97-RS
automotive/industrial design student
Michigan

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

DarkEclipseRS (Guest)Apr-27-01 04:18 PM

#1367, "RE: sounds like a hoped up V8"
In response to Reply # 0

DarkEclipseRS97 http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1574635&a=11969799&p=43081885&Sequence=6&res=high http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1574635&a=11969799&p=47132928&Sequence=0&res=high theres a self check engine method i believe its around here somewhere in the forums .first you sit in your car then you turn the key to on positon with out starting do this three times now on the third one leave it on without it running of course then while all thats done check engine light will blink count them it will blink in a certain way it will blink once for 1 twice for two and so on till it reaches 5 then a pause will follow and it will blink again same concept count it 1-5 as in flash once thats 1 pauses flashes again maybe three times thats 3 toghether thats code number thirteen get it???? it stops when it flashes 55 thats 1-2-3-4-5pausethen-1-2-3-4-5= 55 follow me???55 represents the end no error's the rest of the codes you can find in here somewhere>>>>unless it doesnt retain to yuor car year and model then you can diregard and i just wasted our time peace out hope it helps

TeamMichael_97RSApr-30-01 01:55 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5866 posts,
#1368, "RE: sounds like a hoped up V8"
In response to Reply # 2

It will work for his car dark Eclipse (his screenname 95, works up through 97 I think)

yeah run the codes and see what happens, also you may want to try tightening yoru TPS and ISC they may not be gitting good readings. But run the codes and see what pops up.

"To strive to seek to find... and not to yield."
Michael J. Kulaga e-mail: Michael_97RS@2gntDSM.zzn.com
aol IM: MJKulga Website: http://highlander.dsmpower.com/

Injen CAI w/ K&N Breather filters, 55mm TB, FU/RU/RL STBs, Red silicone hose kit, 8.5mm Magnecor Wires, Bosch Rapidfire Plugs

And in my Room: Rear disc brake conversion kit, SS Brake Lines, GS-T Muffler, Intake manifold 4 porting, Energy Suspension Motor Mount Inserts. RRE FL Tie Bar(Well Almost), TSW Blade 17x7.5 (need tires)

Firefly:
Mal: You don't know me, son, so let me put this to you plainly: If I ever kill you, you'll be awake. You'll be facing me. And you'll be armed.

eclipselouisville25Apr-30-01 11:12 AM
Old School 2GNTer
28 posts,
#1369, "RE: sounds like a hoped up V8"
In response to Reply # 0

well i would have the timing belt checled out first, i have heard for good mechanics that our engines are very, very touchy, if he missed ny 1 tooth it could be major problems....also if you had the throttle body worked on i would check the sensors in the tps....sounds like a idle control problem....have you checked the code?....put the key in the ign. and turn to the "on" position and back to the "off" position 3 times (on-off-on-off-on) and look at the check engine light(note you do not start the car and on the third turn to the "on" position look at the CEL (check engine light) and count the number of times it flashes... it will flash in a sequence like on,on,on,on....on....this would be a 41 code for ex.
the last code given will be a on,on,on,on,on.....on,on,on,on,on....which is 55 end of codes
if infact this is a 420a engine you can get the general codes list online i will post a link in a minute...but there are some things that you really need a scan tool to diagnose.

thanks rob
louisville, ky
97 rs
enki17x7
magnacore
groundcontrol
hahnstage1
greddycatback
struttowerbar
nittosrear
khumosfront
shortshift
lightnedflywheel
knfiltercharge coldair/intake
blitzturbotimer
autometer a/f ratio
autometer boost guage
CENTERFORCE DUAL FRICTION

Lyndon@bluegrass.net

eclipselouisville25Apr-30-01 11:14 AM
Old School 2GNTer
28 posts,
#1370, "RE: sounds like a hoped up V8"
In response to Reply # 0

http://2gnt.com/files/pcmcode.htm

here is the link with a list of codes.....
rob

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #1365 Previous topic | Next topic