Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #132340
View in linear mode

Subject: "2G Eclipse Burning/leaking Oil @ Idle, Please help. " Previous topic | Next topic
dan19821982Nov-10-10 08:51 AM
Member since Nov 10th 2010
1 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#132340, "2G Eclipse Burning/leaking Oil @ Idle, Please help. "

Hey forum.

I own a 98, manual Eclipse GS. No mods whatsoever.

It's been burning oil at idle for a while. What happens is, I don't have any issues other than at idle, sometimes, there's a lot of white smoke coming out when it just idles, and of course that burned oil smell.
When I put it in 1st, and start driving, the smoke eventually disappears as well as the smell, at higher gears. I did have the engine replaced for other problems 6 mo. ago, but the oil problem still stayed after the new engine was put in.

And every week i drive, I notice the oil going lower and lower on the dipstick, so I know it's either leaking it somewhere, or burning it, maybe outside the engine. I was thinking the cat conv?

I'm currently putting 2 quarts every couple of weeks or so.

Any thoughts, ideas? I appreciate it.

Thans,
D

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: 2G Eclipse Burning/leaking Oil @ Idle, Please help. , ModeratorCorbin, Nov-10-10 11:32 AM, #1
RE: 2G Eclipse Burning/leaking Oil @ Idle, Please help. , jesterscorpion, Nov-10-10 01:25 PM, #2
RE: 2G Eclipse Burning/leaking Oil @ Idle, Please help. , 740 turbo brick, Nov-10-10 04:17 PM, #3
      RE: 2G Eclipse Burning/leaking Oil @ Idle, Please help. , jesterscorpion, Nov-10-10 04:35 PM, #4
           RE: 2G Eclipse Burning/leaking Oil @ Idle, Please help. , AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Nov-10-10 08:14 PM, #5
                RE: 2G Eclipse Burning/leaking Oil @ Idle, Please help. , RoninEclipse2G, Nov-11-10 07:00 PM, #6

ModeratorCorbinNov-10-10 11:32 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2552 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#132341, "RE: 2G Eclipse Burning/leaking Oil @ Idle, Please help. "
In response to Reply # 0
Nov-10-10 11:40 AM by Corbin

Was the engine replaced with new, rebuilt, or salvage? When they replaced the "engine" did that include the head? I ask this because worn valve seals can leak heavily at idle, but very little when driving. At idle, the closed throttle plate will make you pull a lot of vacuum. The vacuum draws oil past the valve seals and into the combustion chamber, where it is burned. When driving, the throttle plate is open much more and you will pull very little vacuum. Without vacuum, only a little bit of oil will make it past the valve seal. I had an old Camry that did this. I saw it while the car was getting tested on an emissions dyno.

If you think it might be a leak that is dropping down onto the exhaust, you need to get the car up on jack stands and look for traces of oil. If several surfaces are wet with oil, but you can't see where it is coming from, there is more you can do. Start the engine with the car on jack stands. Let the engine warm up and jam a folded scrap of paper in front of the throttle stop screw. That will crack the throttle plate and rev the engine up. Fold the paper so that you get 3000 RPM or so. Crawl under the car and wait for it to leak. Hot oil has a lower viscosity and will leak more readily. The higher RPM will build oil pressure and increase the flow of the leak.

Corbin
'95 ESI-T

Now with more power and fewer leaks

Humble servant of the Wiki

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

jesterscorpionNov-10-10 01:25 PM
Member since Jan 09th 2010
36 posts,
#132343, "RE: 2G Eclipse Burning/leaking Oil @ Idle, Please help. "
In response to Reply # 0

Originally posted by dan19821982
Hey forum. I own a 98, manual Eclipse GS. No mods whatsoever. It's been burning oil at idle for a while. What happens is, I don't have any issues other than at idle, sometimes, there's a lot of white smoke coming out when it just idles, and of course that burned oil smell. When I put it in 1st, and start driving, the smoke eventually disappears as well as the smell, at higher gears. I did have the engine replaced for other problems 6 mo. ago, but the oil problem still stayed after the new engine was put in. And every week i drive, I notice the oil going lower and lower on the dipstick, so I know it's either leaking it somewhere, or burning it, maybe outside the engine. I was thinking the cat conv? I'm currently putting 2 quarts every couple of weeks or so. Any thoughts, ideas? I appreciate it. Thans, D

Mine was burning near the same amount of oil and found out it was my valve seals. The car is actually burning oil through the entire rpm range its just forced out the exhaust at a rate thats not as noticable. When mine was sitting at idle there was less pressure flowing through the exhaust making the smoke more dense and visable. I had the valve seals replaced and the burning stopped.

740 turbo brickNov-10-10 04:17 PM
Member since Jun 09th 2008
831 posts,
#132344, "RE: 2G Eclipse Burning/leaking Oil @ Idle, Please help. "
In response to Reply # 2

Burning oil is typically blue though. /my .02/

And I also had the same problem, bit embarassing having a nice looking car and you stop at a stoplight and starts smoking like a chimney. Changed head with new valve seals hasnt burned anything at all, and I won a $20 bet because someone was telling me it was my rings. Haha!

95 Eclipse GS: 10.5:1, Crower 2's and MSII
186 WHP - 150 WTQ
14.697 @ 93.85 MPH......Gone, but not forgotten
99 420A Avenger: Given to my sister
99 GS OZ: Sold
03 Evo 8: Family Car with balls

jesterscorpionNov-10-10 04:35 PM
Member since Jan 09th 2010
36 posts,
#132345, "RE: 2G Eclipse Burning/leaking Oil @ Idle, Please help. "
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by 740 turbo brick
Burning oil is typically blue though.

Mine was white wich made everyone tell me it was a headgasket problem. We did the rope in the cylinder trick and replaced my valve stem seals first and poof, the smoke was gone after about 4 mintues of idle.

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonNov-10-10 08:14 PM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
#132347, "RE: 2G Eclipse Burning/leaking Oil @ Idle, Please help. "
In response to Reply # 4

IT can appear white but its not as white as coolant.

Do a leak down on the cylinders to determine if there is a problem with the rings sealing.

If that checks out then pull the intake manifold and look for oil traces on the backsides of the valves.

Terry

RoninEclipse2GNov-11-10 07:00 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#132357, "RE: 2G Eclipse Burning/leaking Oil @ Idle, Please help. "
In response to Reply # 5

Originally posted by Star Turbo Talon
IT can appear white but its not as white as coolant.

Very true. Sometimes it's hard to distinguish unless you have the car smoking in just the right light. I've found that a well lit garage in the evening is the best for seeing the color of the smoke. Just remember to keep the garage door OPEN when doing this.

Originally posted by Star Turbo Talon
Do a leak down on the cylinders to determine if there is a problem with the rings sealing. If that checks out then pull the intake manifold and look for oil traces on the backsides of the valves. Terry

Another simple test for bad rings is to do a compression test, then pour a capful of oil (small individual quart size cap, not the 5 quart jug cap) into each cylinder and redo the compression test. If the compression suddenly jumps up then your rings are most likely toast.

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #132340 Previous topic | Next topic