Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #1320
View in linear mode

Subject: "Installing 5" Monster Tach" Previous topic | Next topic
quicksilverApr-26-01 06:31 PM
Old School 2GNTer
43 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1320, "Installing 5" Monster Tach"

Would anyone know how to install one of these things. I'm not sure if I have to go behind the firewall to install the wiring. Any info is appreciated. Thanks

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Installing 5" Monster Tach, Soniclipse, Apr-27-01 10:33 PM, #1
RE: Installing 5" Monster Tach, RS_Guy, Apr-28-01 09:22 AM, #2
      RE: Installing 5" Monster Tach, quicksilver, Apr-28-01 02:32 PM, #3
      RE: Installing 5" Monster Tach, Soniclipse, Apr-28-01 03:56 PM, #4
           RE: Installing 5" Monster Tach, XT_DSM, Apr-28-01 04:33 PM, #5
           RE: Installing 5" Monster Tach, quicksilver, Apr-28-01 08:20 PM, #6
           RE: Installing 5" Monster Tach, quicksilver, Apr-28-01 08:27 PM, #7
                Make sure it is calibrated for your car, TeamDeanoD, Apr-29-01 03:55 AM, #8
                     RE: Make sure it is calibrated for your car, klipzracer, Apr-29-01 04:41 AM, #9
                          RE: Make sure it is calibrated for your car, XT_DSM, Apr-29-01 08:15 AM, #10
                               RE: Make sure it is calibrated for your car, trickedeclipse, Apr-29-01 10:03 AM, #11
                                    RE: Make sure it is calibrated for your car, quicksilver, Apr-29-01 11:52 AM, #12
           RE: Installing 5" Monster Tach, RS_Guy, Apr-29-01 02:31 PM, #13
                RE: Installing 5" Monster Tach, Soniclipse, May-01-01 05:48 AM, #14

SoniclipseApr-27-01 10:33 PM
Old School 2GNTer
9 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1321, "RE: Installing 5" Monster Tach"
In response to Reply # 0

Um, arent tachometers standard on all DSM's???

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

RS_GuyApr-28-01 09:22 AM
Old School 2GNTer
484 posts,
#1322, "RE: Installing 5" Monster Tach"
In response to Reply # 1

Actually.... no...

Believe it or not the stingy Mitsubishi people left out the Tach on the "Base" Eclipse models (not the RS). Michelle seems to be the expert on this topic If I remember correctly, the stock tach, can be installed by just plugging it in....

Guy
RS_Guy

I might actually be *driving* my car soon!
Its only been 6 LONG months...

Damn the waiting..... It Sucks!

-----
www.GTuned.com

quicksilverApr-28-01 02:32 PM
Old School 2GNTer
43 posts,
#1323, "RE: Installing 5" Monster Tach"
In response to Reply # 2

I'm talking about the 5" Autometer Monster tach with shiftlight. I forgot to mention that.

SoniclipseApr-28-01 03:56 PM
Old School 2GNTer
9 posts,
#1324, "RE: Installing 5" Monster Tach"
In response to Reply # 2

Dam, must make driving a base very boring. Geez.

RS guy, my RS looks just like yours, except its got the 14's on them. F'ing black Eclipse's RULE.

XT_DSMApr-28-01 04:33 PM
Old School 2GNTer
133 posts,
#1325, "RE: Installing 5" Monster Tach"
In response to Reply # 4

http://members.home.net/xtatdsm

-red wire goes to an ignetion 12V wire
-black wire goes to ground
-white wire goes to any light source wire (you can tap it to the bulb that goes to your cigarettes lighter) so once you turn your lights on, your tack lights up as well.
-green wire goes to your RPM signal wire (the only solid white wire that goes into your PCM)

if you have any more questions please post them and I am sure me or other members will be more than happy to help.

good luck

Adel

quicksilverApr-28-01 08:20 PM
Old School 2GNTer
43 posts,
#1326, "RE: Installing 5" Monster Tach"
In response to Reply # 5

Thank you very much Adel. I'm gonna try and install it tomorrow morning. If I get stuck, I'll post for some help. thanks again.

quicksilverApr-28-01 08:27 PM
Old School 2GNTer
43 posts,
#1327, "RE: Installing 5" Monster Tach"
In response to Reply # 5

One question Adel......how would I know what wire is what? How would I run the wires to these locations. Would you happen to have some sort of diagram on how to do the instructions you just gave me. I really don't know where the wire to my cigarette lighter is. Please help. Thanks man!

TeamDeanoDApr-29-01 03:55 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1099 posts,
#1328, "Make sure it is calibrated for your car"
In response to Reply # 7

The autometer tachs for the eclipse might need to be calibrated for our car. I was told that if the tach is for the eclipse(4g63)it would have to be sent back to autometer to be recalibrated for the 420A. The cost is free.....just a 2 week turnaround. Let us know how it turns out. A quick call to autometer might give you all the answers you need.

DeanoD
1997RS-NeverTurbo
http://ar.dsm.org

97 RS(PTE SC-61, Built Long Block, Electromotive Tec 3)It's Here!

klipzracerApr-29-01 04:41 AM
Old School 2GNTer
4006 posts,
#1329, "RE: Make sure it is calibrated for your car"
In response to Reply # 8

i calibrated mine through autometer but you don't have to if you connect it to the solid white wire in the computer as mentioned above.

Chris
Project RS
Uncle Ben's Motorsports
http://klipzracer.homestead.com/index.html
chrisdishmon@hotmail.com

XT_DSMApr-29-01 08:15 AM
Old School 2GNTer
133 posts,
#1330, "RE: Make sure it is calibrated for your car"
In response to Reply # 9

http://members.home.net/xtatdsm

klipzracer is 100% correct, you don't have to send it back to automemter if you hook it up to the right wire (solid white wire going to the PCM)

I am sorry I don't have a diagram, but it's hella easy to find the wires I was talking about.

you will need a volt meter or test light to find the wires.

You will find 4 wires behind your cigarette lighter
2 wires going to the actual cigarette lighter, and another 2 wires going to the bulb that lights the cigarette lighter up.

Take one of the wires that goes to the actual one and hook it up to your volt meter or test light, turn the ignition key to on position, if you get 12Vs from that wire, then that's the wire to hook up to the red wire that goes to your new tach, if not, then it's gotta be the other wire.

now you see those 2 wires going to the bulb that goes in the cigarette lighter, take one of them and hook it up to your volt meter or test light, turbo your lights on, if you get 12Vs from this wire, then this where you hook up the white wire going to your automemter tach, if you don't get 12V from that wire, then it's gotta be the other wire going to the same bulb.

the green wire goes to the solid white wire going to your ECU as I said b4 (the only solid white wire, you can't miss it)

ground is easy, I am sure you can do that on your own.

Where to run the wires from or 2 depends on where your tach is going to be mounted.

Adel

trickedeclipseApr-29-01 10:03 AM
Old School 2GNTer
438 posts,
#1331, "RE: Make sure it is calibrated for your car"
In response to Reply # 10

I installed mine over a month ago, and have had no problems except the act that the rpm's are about 350 rpms off. no big deal though. the shift light works perfectly and everything.

adel, my white wire from the ECU wasn't solid white though, it was mostly white with light pink dashes on it.

hope that helps out.

PJ

1996 Talon EsiNOS - Eclipse rear end

-PJ
'96 ESI-NOS Talon / '02 Subaru WRX

"Making Dreams Reality"

quicksilverApr-29-01 11:52 AM
Old School 2GNTer
43 posts,
#1332, "RE: Make sure it is calibrated for your car"
In response to Reply # 11

Thanks for all your help guys. I was able to install the tach with your directions. That's great to see how many guys jumped in to help me out. Thanks again!

RS_GuyApr-29-01 02:31 PM
Old School 2GNTer
484 posts,
#1333, "RE: Installing 5" Monster Tach"
In response to Reply # 4

LAST EDITED ON 29-Apr-01 AT 07:32 PM (PST)

Soniclipse
> RS guy, my RS looks just like yours.... F'ing black Eclipse's RULE.

Umm, Mine is Green

Guy
RS_Guy

I might actually be *driving* my car soon!
Its only been 6 LONG months...

Damn the waiting..... It Sucks!

-----
www.GTuned.com

SoniclipseMay-01-01 05:48 AM
Old School 2GNTer
9 posts,
#1334, "RE: Installing 5" Monster Tach"
In response to Reply # 13

>LAST EDITED ON 29-Apr-01
>AT 07:32 PM (PST)

>
>Soniclipse
>> RS guy, my RS looks just like yours.... F'ing black Eclipse's RULE.
>
>Umm, Mine is Green
>
>Guy
>RS_Guy
>
>

Oh yeah, didn't I say green? : )

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #1320 Previous topic | Next topic